C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Proportioning spring

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:37 PM
catchme76
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Proportioning spring

To preface this: I have a 63 Grand Sport with c6 front brakes, c4 rears, and 96 c4 master cylinder.

I installed the DRM spring and it helped add rear bias, however, I still need to add more rear. I purchased an 02 camaro master and was planning to install a proportioning valve in line of the rear however the master is too large to fit in the fender where my booster is mounted.

My question is: What would happen if I removed the spring completely and installed the proportioning valve in line of the rear with the c4 master?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:30 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by catchme76
To preface this: I have a 63 Grand Sport with c6 front brakes, c4 rears, and 96 c4 master cylinder.

I installed the DRM spring and it helped add rear bias, however, I still need to add more rear. I purchased an 02 camaro master and was planning to install a proportioning valve in line of the rear however the master is too large to fit in the fender where my booster is mounted.

My question is: What would happen if I removed the spring completely and installed the proportioning valve in line of the rear with the c4 master?
Why would you not just take the "stock" spring and have it measured, take the DRM spring and have it measured do some comparisons and purchase a "compression spring" of something that you feel might improve your performance. Measured means you would need to determine the installed length of the spring and measure it's resistance at that length, the rest is just diameter of wire, material, the type of end. I would think that shouldn't be that difficult. I would think there's "off the shelf" solutions. You might consider a call to Randy @ DRM and ask their thoughts. I'm sure you're not the first. They likely can help.

I believe that master requires something in that position. I would certainly think so!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-27-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:32 AM
catchme76
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response. Yeah after comparing the stock and DRM spring I believe the DRM spring is stiffer. Taking the spring out may actually make the problem worse. But there is def an off the shelf solution.

I ended up finding a C5 Master cylinder laying around in the shop. The reservoir on the c5 unit is smaller than the camaro unit and ended up fitting up in the fender. I took the C5 reservoir and put it on the camaro unit since I already had all the adapter fittings for the camaro master. Stayed up til 3am! But it's in there!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:38 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

If you had or acquired all of the comparison dimensions and resistance using a site similar to this could maybe accomplish what I mentioned.

I've never purchased from these people but I'm somewhat familiar with their procedures in their questionnaire for sourcing from them.

http://www.acxesspring.com/spring-constant-units.html

Get notified of new replies

To Proportioning spring

Quick Reply: Proportioning spring