C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

VATS Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 10:51 AM
fast.asleep
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default VATS Delete?

I'm having a new chip burnt a new chip for a larger cam on my 1987 coupe.

Should I delete VATS even though it has never failed me? From what I've read this is a real PITA when it does fail.
(The car is hardly parked outside and people ignore car alarms anyway)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:18 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would. What that does is bypass the Vats module that is located behind the bread box. That is the biggest pain to deal with on the Vats if it fails.

Then you can also use a resister to bypass the steering column, and you can also bypass the starter enable relay that is behind the center vent plate.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:31 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

If your having a chip burnt, it's very easy for the tuner to shut the vats off in the chip..After having that done you still have to do the vats ignition cylinder bypass and cut and splice the wires in the Starter enable relay to bypass that... The problem is, your car is valnerable to theft from that point on if left outside unattended..... ..If your going to do it , below is a site with the proper instructions.....WW

http://www.vatssucks.com/

Last edited by WW7; 07-26-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:49 AM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Programming it out only stops the ecm from needing authorization to pulse the injectors. As has been said the starter enable relay still needs to be dealt with for a full bypass. I remove it for most chips I do, and if they're speed density it is because I run them in mine first before being sent out.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:34 PM
fl_799
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Darn, I disabled VATS it on my last chip burn but everything is still intact.

Is the major failure with the relay or with the contacts in the steering column that reads the resistor on the key? Hmmmm....

James
Old 07-26-2014, 09:07 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fl_799
Darn, I disabled VATS it on my last chip burn but everything is still intact.

Is the major failure with the relay or with the contacts in the steering column that reads the resistor on the key? Hmmmm....

James
There are more problems with the ignition cylinder reading the keys then with any of the other operations...When the key can't be read, it shuts the car down..Once in a great while you will hear of a "starter enable relay" going bad , but not to often....WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-26-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:20 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I deleted VATS and pray my car gets stolen. I leave it running and go inside to shop. No takers yet.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:27 AM
fast.asleep
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
I deleted VATS and pray my car gets stolen. I leave it running and go inside to shop. No takers yet.
Where do exactly do you live again? I could use a parts car...

Old 07-27-2014, 06:25 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
Im sure if a car thief had his choice, he would pick a newer car like a Honda Accord over our C4s... Also C4s stand out in the crowd, since there not seen on the road as often as newer cars... A cop could spot them to easy...Looks like you may have to run your car off a cliff to get paid.........WW
Old 07-27-2014, 11:49 AM
senter9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also considering deleting VATS. The only problem with it on my 93' is FEDS. I shut it off and it wont start again. This problem has gradually gotten worse. I have checked all the grounds all door switches. I don't want to tear into the dash and look for a bad connection. Any suggestions? Can you just delete FEDS?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:00 PM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I hope you guys got a laugh ! I can honestly say I drive my car now without any concern over the $20K I have spent on it. Which brings up a point I would like to make regarding a money pit. If I get 1 year out of the car it is worth $3000 a year to me. In other words if I can drive my C4 and enjoy it for 4 or 5 years then no regrets. I deleted the VATS to avoid any problems from it. I had done the key bypass shortly after buying the car. It left me stranded a few times too many. When you are sitting in the drivers seat and your woman is looking at you like this car sucks it motivates you to delete the VATS.

Get notified of new replies

To VATS Delete?

Quick Reply: VATS Delete?