C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

383 LT4 Hits the dyno Wednesday!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:48 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Nice video. How do you keep the next car from running over your GoPro?
Desolate road! Lol
Old 08-19-2014, 04:52 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
very impressive!

sounds a lot like mine (but faster of course)

I wanted to add some other info I've discovered...

Is that with meth or without meth?

Ive discovered its best to mix your own stuff (methanol bought from local race shops with distilled water ) vs. use any of the commercial stuff (like Snow performance Boost Juice).

Boost Juice left behind whitish deposits all through my intake ducting.

According to greg carroll, those can eventually clog the nozzle and cause a failure to inject.

Worse, the fail-safe pressure alarms and stuff wont work if the nozzle is clogged, so it will think it is injecting, but doesnt.

Im really impressed with the energy, speed, enthusiasm you are putting into this project.

Ive always wondered what mine would do with a built 383, a D-1 blower, more boost, and more rpm.

For the moment, wife and I are concentrating on a big addition to our house so no corvette projects. Just enjoying where I am at now with it.
Thanks man. I just want it done already. It's been a 2 year project!

That was no meth and only 5500 rpm. My timing is backed way down also. I am running 49/51 boost juice but plan to mix after these 8 gallons I have are gone. I'm also running a dual nozzle setup.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kool How about a blast with the camera in the car
Old 08-19-2014, 06:10 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Originally Posted by cudamax
Kool How about a blast with the camera in the car
I finished it had had to put it away. I had a business meeting 4 hours away and won't b home for a couple days. But rest to sure: there will b more videos.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:56 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Here is a part throttle run from today while I was tuning!

Old 08-24-2014, 10:03 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Real Kool. Man I'm Jealous
Old 08-24-2014, 11:41 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Nice........very nice......nice camera work on that Go Pro too....

It looks and sounds like it will suck the headlights out of my 12.5 second C4....

And of course it will....it sounds like the tuning is spot on.......revs nicely/smooth from what I can hear
Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
Nice........very nice......nice camera work on that Go Pro too....

It looks and sounds like it will suck the headlights out of my 12.5 second C4....

And of course it will....it sounds like the tuning is spot on.......revs nicely/smooth from what I can hear
Thanks!

Every day the tuning is getting a bit better! I have the timing so far back now due to being afraid of detonation that its crazy! It has a TON more in it but I want all the bugs worked out before I open her up.

Also I am only seeing 12 lbs of boost at 5800 rpm. My intercooler is to small for my blower and really restrictive. I will dyno it like this on meth/water with an aggressive timing curve then I am going to take the intercooler off and run a discharge tube from the blower to the throttle body and run alot more meth. I hope to see atleast 17 lbs of boost. I believe I will have to go to gregs 3.25 slotted pulley tho!

If things keep up like this, I am going to run her on the Dyno next week!
Old 08-25-2014, 11:32 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by smooth1990
Thanks!

Every day the tuning is getting a bit better! I have the timing so far back now due to being afraid of detonation that its crazy! It has a TON more in it but I want all the bugs worked out before I open her up.

Also I am only seeing 12 lbs of boost at 5800 rpm. My intercooler is to small for my blower and really restrictive. I will dyno it like this on meth/water with an aggressive timing curve then I am going to take the intercooler off and run a discharge tube from the blower to the throttle body and run alot more meth. I hope to see atleast 17 lbs of boost. I believe I will have to go to gregs 3.25 slotted pulley tho!

If things keep up like this, I am going to run her on the Dyno next week!
Thats crazy all you get is 12psi boost at 5800 rpm With the d1sc higher step up ratio.

I get boost like this:
3000 rpm: 5 psi
4000rpm: 7.5psi
5000 rpm: 10Psi
6000 rpm: 12.5 psi

I have the p600b with a 2.88" pulley.....monoblade tb and vortech discharge pipe with meth/water.

Note that my p600b has the corvette gears in it (3.35:1 vs. 3.05:1 for other p600b step up ratios).

Id have to look at my notes, but it seems i was getting 9.5 psi or so when i had the restrictive procharger intercooler.
I believe it brought iat temps down to 140f at that boost level[(alone, no meth/water).... so it did something

If i remember right, my iat's on current meth/water/12.5 psi boost are around 115f...

im looking forward to seeing the full potential of your build.

You are doing it right, work things up slowly
Old 08-25-2014, 11:36 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Thats crazy all you get is 12psi boost at 5800 rpm With the d1sc higher step up ratio.

I get boost like this:
3000 rpm: 5 psi
4000rpm: 7.5psi
5000 rpm: 10Psi
6000 rpm: 12.5 psi

I have the p600b with a 2.88" pulley.....monoblade tb and vortech discharge pipe with meth/water.

Note that my p600b has the corvette gears in it (3.35:1 vs. 3.05:1 for other p600b step up ratios).

Id have to look at my notes, but it seems i was getting 9.5 psi or so when i had the restrictive procharger intercooler.
I believe it brought iat temps down to 140f at that boost level[(alone, no meth/water).... so it did something

If i remember right, my iat's on current meth/water/12.5 psi boost are around 115f...

im looking forward to seeing the full potential of your build.

You are doing it right, work things up slowly
My intercooler is very restrictive and I can go down to a 3.25 slotted pull yet. The d1 is maxes out at 65k rpm. At 5500 I'm only spinning it to 48k. So there is alot left in it yet
Old 08-26-2014, 12:07 AM
Masterspykiller
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Awesome build and tweaking - Note of Caution

I've been skulking on this build for awhile, just "enjoying the ride" vicariously.

We have a dedicated racer - 1992 M6 LT1 engine. When we first put her on the track, she had a very carefully built 383, AFR ported 220s, LT4 intake hand ported, and a very long list of build details. She also had a NOS system the size of a SCUBA tank. (I've got a video of a NOS blast straightaway somewhere....)

She flew like a beast on fire, even without the NOS, and roared as loud as any dragon! When we were dyno'ing her (NA), she blew the guts out of the cats into the tuner's back wall. The tuning shop kept the guts in their "trophy" case. With a 4.09 rearend, it was actually difficult NOT to spin the slicks on the way out of the pits even on a rolling start.

On the dyno, she put out over 500hp to the rear wheels, NA. With the 250 shot of nitrous, she blew past 700hp and didn't look back.

She gave her heart and soul to us on the track. It was beauteous: my wife always ended up in the top 10% for lap times (usually over 100 racers) and even when I spun her 3 times at a corner, she didn't eat gravel or stall, she waited for just the right millisecond, then dug her claws into the asphalt and blasted down the track so fast, no one had the chance even to raise a flag.

But, we should have listened when she told us it was too hot to run back to back to back race sessions in the California desert over 120 degrees on the asphalt, but we didn't. We watched the oil and engine temps hover high, but pushed her for "one more lap" and she gave it all she had, but died in the effort. Rods, piston skirts, chunks of block and her guts spewed out the back of the car in a ball of flaming oil and gas around 100mph. My wife was in the car, I am just glad I didn't see it from the pits. The speed blew out the flames and the car coasted to a halt. Aside from the cursing in multiple languages of the racers behind her trying to keep their cars on the track while avoiding the flaming oil and guts, there was a somber reverence as the black flags waved at every corner and the beasts stood in silence as the wrecker came to haul away one of their own.

As the tow truck approached our race trailer, I got a lump in my stomach. When I saw my wife was okay, I felt a lot better, but still a bit sad for this beast who had given us everything she had, and we hadn't taken care of her. The autopsy indicated catastrophic engine failure, probably from overheating.

The moral of my story is this: When you spend the blood, sweat, tears and gold to build a fire breathing beast, be careful the fire does not consume her - it is both the source of her power and her nemesis.

I am impressed with the care you have taken so far in your build and I wish you many, many miles of trouble free racing (on legal tracks).

Last edited by Masterspykiller; 08-26-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:49 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Originally Posted by Masterspykiller
I've been skulking on this build for awhile, just "enjoying the ride" vicariously.

We have a dedicated racer - 1992 M6 LT1 engine. When we first put her on the track, she had a very carefully built 383, AFR ported 220s, LT4 intake hand ported, and a very long list of build details. She also had a NOS system the size of a SCUBA tank. (I've got a video of a NOS blast straightaway somewhere....)

She flew like a beast on fire, even without the NOS, and roared as loud as any dragon! When we were dyno'ing her (NA), she blew the guts out of the cats into the tuner's back wall. The tuning shop kept the guts in their "trophy" case. With a 4.09 rearend, it was actually difficult NOT to spin the slicks on the way out of the pits even on a rolling start.

On the dyno, she put out over 500hp to the rear wheels, NA. With the 250 shot of nitrous, she blew past 700hp and didn't look back.

She gave her heart and soul to us on the track. It was beauteous: my wife always ended up in the top 10% for lap times (usually over 100 racers) and even when I spun her 3 times at a corner, she didn't eat gravel or stall, she waited for just the right millisecond, then dug her claws into the asphalt and blasted down the track so fast, no one had the chance even to raise a flag.

But, we should have listened when she told us it was too hot to run back to back to back race sessions in the California desert over 120 degrees on the asphalt, but we didn't. We watched the oil and engine temps hover high, but pushed her for "one more lap" and she gave it all she had, but died in the effort. Rods, piston skirts, chunks of block and her guts spewed out the back of the car in a ball of flaming oil and gas around 100mph. My wife was in the car, I am just glad I didn't see it from the pits. The speed blew out the flames and the car coasted to a halt. Aside from the cursing in multiple languages of the racers behind her trying to keep their cars on the track while avoiding the flaming oil and guts, there was a somber reverence as the black flags waved at every corner and the beasts stood in silence as the wrecker came to haul away one of their own.

As the tow truck approached our race trailer, I got a lump in my stomach. When I saw my wife was okay, I felt a lot better, but still a bit sad for this beast who had given us everything she had, and we hadn't taken care of her. The autopsy indicated catastrophic engine failure, probably from overheating.

The moral of my story is this: When you spend the blood, sweat, tears and gold to build a fire breathing beast, be careful the fire does not consume her - it is both the source of her power and her nemesis.

I am impressed with the care you have taken so far in your build and I wish you many, many miles of trouble free racing (on legal tracks).

Thats quite the story! So did you ever rebuild the car?
Old 09-04-2014, 01:43 AM
Masterspykiller
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hijack

Originally Posted by smooth1990
Thats quite the story! So did you ever rebuild the car?
I don't want to hijack this wonderful thread, so I'll just say our race sponsor helped a bit with the new engine, then went belly up, so we have been piecing it back together for about 5 years. It's a "perky" new 350 now, but really wants to be a 383 when it grows up. We still have a few bugs to iron out before we dyno and track it. Slowly but slowly.

I must say I am enjoying your build thread and careful "scientific" method of changing one component, then dynoing the car, then changing another and dynoing the car. You have provided a wealth of information and more than a few vicarious thrills for those of us following your build. Keep it going!

M

Quick Reply: 383 LT4 Hits the dyno Wednesday!