C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Used headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Johninator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used headers

Just found these on Craigslist, wondering if these are a good buy, don't know very much about who makes good headers and what to stay away from. Guy said he wants $35. Not sure if I can go wrong with that.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/4583686866.html

Please help me out quick, if these are good I don't want to let them get away!!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:38 PM
My1st
Pro

Look to be Headman 68441 steel painted Summit sells them for $379.97
Old 07-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Johninator
Intermediate

I found that also, my big question is the fitment, are these cheap headers that don't fit good or need modification to anything else on the car/engine.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:54 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

From the pic, it looks like they have the AIR fittings. If you have to have your car smog-tested, that would be a help especially if there's a visual inspection.

These headers are the tin-wall version and the flange is thinner than the 64884 Hedman headers.

I have the 64884 headers on my '87 and I had to make a lower alternator support bracket. I also had to modify the mounting tab for the oil dipstick tube. The OEM large starter is a PITA to work with when installing headers. The starter has to be removed to get the passenger side header in place and the header has to be loose in order to get the starter back in. I went with a Summit Racing mini-starter just to make everything easy. It bolted in and no wiring mods needed. It would be a good idea to get some heat shielding fabric to protect the gas lines and a wire loom that;s above the fuel filter.

Installing headers is a good time to change plugs and wires. You will need all 8 plug wires to have 90 degree boots. Add some heat shield covers at the same time.

There will have to be modifications made to the exhaust pipes so they mate up to the header reducers. An O2 sensor bung will have to be welded to the driver's side reducer to install it. Hedman makes a reducer with a bung already installed, but it costs about $35. A bung will cost about $4 and you just drill a hole and weld it in place.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:30 PM
Johninator
Intermediate

If I purchase these used headers, I will need to also purchase:

-exhaust gaskets
-reducers, one with a bung for o2
-header bolts

What else? Do u need a new o2 sensor?
I don't have a cat on the car, I have duals all the way back from the original head pipes.

I already have new wires, just need new plugs, what do you guys recommend for plugs? I've read that the NGK iridiums are good, but is it actually worth the $9 per plug?

I'm trying to put together a list of everything I will need for these headers. I'm on a budget, only have so much between rent and regular expenses. So I want to know exactly how much I'm getting into before I start spending.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:09 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

they have the tell tale signs of header wrap on them,
but for $35, if your prepared to have them blasted and paint them up they will be cheap headers,
I cant see an 02 port in them, Im not sure how you run the car without it ? maybe you should ask him about the 02 fitting ?
otherwise you will need to weld a bung in,

Get notified of new replies

To Used headers

Quick Reply: Used headers