C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

c-beam

Old 07-16-2014, 02:50 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default c-beam

This was solved. The problem was a simple oversight on the rear suspension.
When the mono leaf, and shocks are removed the rear suspension drops far enough that the cbeam can not be bolted to the differential even with the transmission out of the way.

The engine mounts work fine, despite many saying they are the wrong ones and will never work.

Last edited by aDigitalPhantom; 08-21-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:09 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

not real sure but I think the manual c beam is the longest of the two
Old 07-17-2014, 02:38 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

That is what i wan thinking, but I thought I would ask to see if someone else had more information.
Guess I need to decide if I want to get a second set of mount adapters, or make something to replace the c-beam.
Thanks.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:08 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its real easy to extend it. I really don't know about if their is any different lengths but I figure any manual trans C4 that came with ur ZF tranny should be the right length. They do have a factory piece. It was a factory option but if u dont want to get one.
Here is something I just asked about on my 85 and got the perfect response with everything I needed to do for a 4 plus 3 swap to a regular 4spd that the I beam came up a little short and it shows exactly how this guy fabbed up a real nice piece
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...fo-wanted.html
Old 07-17-2014, 04:39 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

The shorter Dana44 C-beam is 38 7/16" center of rear most to center of forward most mounting holes. The longer D36 can be drilled and used for the D44 if necessary but it's not a particularly easy operation to do effectively.

The D36 has been measured at +15/16 I believe. You mention you need length so there should be many D36 C-beams available. I have a D36 C-beam but you're not close. There is certainly enough material in a D36 product to modify.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-17-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:14 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

I'll look for a d36 c-beam for now, but it seems almost no one does anything with vettes here.

I did see that corvette recycling might have one, but so far they have only been extremely rude to me and wont answer if it is for a d36 or d44.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:28 PM
SuperL98
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

Quick search found this old post in the For Sale section.
Shows the two beams together.
Looking on Ebay, I think the "two" hole in the front is the Auto and the "single" hole is the Standard.
But I could be wrong?

Old 07-17-2014, 03:45 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

The site has a typical online image taken on a green screen. The picture also has no way of telling by looking at it.
The description is
1984-1996 C4 Corvette Transmission Support C Beam OEM
I doubt they are a vendor so I doubt I can post a link to the page.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:47 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

I found A D36 cbeam, but I also noticed something odd about the D44 one I have two of the diagonal bars are bent in a weird way. None of the pictures I see or the D36 cbeam have this.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:57 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chevyowner
I found A D36 cbeam, but I also noticed something odd about the D44 one I have two of the diagonal bars are bent in a weird way. None of the pictures I see or the D36 cbeam have this.
Likely not an issue but I did mention the dimension center of rear most hole to center of the forward most hole. Does that match? You have issues that I've only seen one person previously mention and he mentioned he had the engine mounts swapped right and left. I didn't understand it then and I don't now. What type of clearance do you have with the balancer to the front cross-member?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:20 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

The cbeam measures about 38 1/4 as measured above.

here is a picture of the mount adapters I am using.

The first way I installed them the single bolt was towards the top of the engine, and now it is toward the bottom. I am not sure how much space at the balancer I have right now, but it it does not hit anything I will go measure this later.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:44 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

if u need a D36 c-beam i have one, are you sure a d36 beam is needed?
only needed if running a D36 rear, and if you are with a manual u need to be easy on it.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:59 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

The cbeam measures about 38 1/4 as measured above.

here is a picture of the mount adapters I am using.

The first way I installed them the single bolt was towards the top of the engine, and now it is toward the bottom. I am not sure how much space at the balancer I have right now, but it it does not hit anything I will go measure this later.
I'd wager your problem is the mount adapters, the mounts your attempting to use or a combination of all! If you have the clutch housing, the clutch and all bolted together properly the c-beam should NOT be an issue. Just start fresh with all of your parts.

Where did you get the brackets/adapters? What mounts are you trying to use? Do you have part #'s for all of them?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:53 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

I got the mount adapters from Summit Racing about 2 years ago when I started collecting parts for the swap.
I am using factory replacement solid rubber mounts Anchor Industries Engine Mounts 2902SR.

Not sure if this could cause problems, but I did notice that one of the mounts used a 1/2" coarse thread nut instead of the metric both old ones and the other new one uses.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I got the mount adapters from Summit Racing about 2 years ago when I started collecting parts for the swap.
I am using factory replacement solid rubber mounts Anchor Industries Engine Mounts 2902SR.

Not sure if this could cause problems, but I did notice that one of the mounts used a 1/2" coarse thread nut instead of the metric both old ones and the other new one uses.
Your Summit brackets could be for just early SBC in most any applications that used the older bracket on the frame and mount on the engine type system. You I believe need to call Summit - I believe you've a problem that doesn't have anything to do with your c-beam.

Start fresh.

If that's a set of Doug's SK100 brackets they're supposed to do only thru '91 Corvette I believe! Those are for the earlier mount that bolts to the engine, bracket on the frame like I mentioned.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-23-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:33 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

I doubt I can return or exchange as I purchased them so long ago.

Any recommendations for a good adapter that will work?

I would prefer to buy a set as my fab skills are really bad, and I don't have the correct tools to make something for this.

EDIT
Yes it is a Doug's SK100 adapter set, purchased on 10/20/2012.

Last edited by aDigitalPhantom; 07-23-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:47 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

I think I am just going to drill new holes on the transmission end of the d36 cbeam I got this week. I cant find any engine mount adapters that will work better. I also have the the engine bolted in just dealing with the cbeam.

Get notified of new replies

To c-beam

Old 07-26-2014, 08:50 PM
esham
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

What bell housing, clutch, and throw out bearing are you using?
Old 07-27-2014, 02:28 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by esham
What bell housing, clutch, and throw out bearing are you using?
I am using
Quicktime RM-6039
LS7 clutch kit
throw out bearing is for a 70s GM
The clutch slave is from novak
Old 07-27-2014, 08:05 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I think I am just going to drill new holes on the transmission end of the d36 cbeam I got this week. I cant find any engine mount adapters that will work better. I also have the the engine bolted in just dealing with the cbeam.
You've mentioned some quite nice hardware (Q'time etc) so I doubt I'd start hacking now. If you have a problem with the c-beam dimensions that means you also have a problem with the location of the ZF shifter in the car. I don't have the slightest idea what you measure with or anything else but there's issues with what you're doing. Whose headers? Are there headers installed presently? You've just only mention you can't find. You've never mentioned where you've looked. You need to have a plan and you don't appear to have a solid one presently.

I'd maybe consider just "catching your breath" and rethink what you've done.

I'd consider maybe starting a new thread. "ANYONE INSTALLED AN LS IN A '92+ LT1 CHASSIS WITH ZF". In that thread I'd mention the Q'time part #.

What is the part # of your Novak slave? You've got a wide variety of hardware and maybe mentioning everything by part # would help someone "help you".

To use your engine brackets and have everything fit I believe I know what I'd consider but I'm not going to suggest it.

Your thread title here "C-beam" likely isn't getting any attention from those that can/could help. You've got I believe more issues than just the c-beam for a final finish project.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c-beam