C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 popping through intake...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:28 AM
fredd1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VIIISecondRide
So are you saying when I installed the timing set dot to dot with no 1 TDC it was wrong? So when the marks are dot to dot the rotor should be pointing to no 6 ? So moving the distributor 180 should fix it?
I will be pulling the valve covers today and trying to find a compression tester.
Thanks
Just to reiterate what cadmaniac has posted, with the #1 cyl. at TDC the timing mark on the crank sprocket will be at the 12 o'clock position. The timing mark on the cam sprocket should (must) also be at the 12 o'clock position on the cam sprocket. Sounds like you have it 180 degrees out.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by cadmaniac
If you installed the distributor at #1 cylinder with the crank dot up and the cam gear dot down, your distributor is 180 degrees out.

You must rotate the engine 1 crank turn to get the distributor to fire cylinder number 1 or install at number 6 cylinder. Now that you have cranked the engine I would turn the engine by the crank bolt until you feel compression on the number one cylinder. Then watch the balancer as it comes up to Top Dead center. Once there, pull the cap and check to see if the rotor is pointing at the number one cylinder. If not, re-install the distributor in the correct location.

Checking compression and mechanical problems is excellent advice if that doesnt work.
Does the Op have the timing cover off to where he can see the crank//cam timing marks? I must have missed where he said he has it apart that far...
Old 07-17-2014, 06:43 PM
VIIISecondRide
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I don't have the timing cover off. I got a compression tester and checked no 1 since I couldn't get it to blow my finger off, and there is no compression on 1. So I pulled the valve covers and found 6 bent push rods. So off to the part store to replace them, then stab the distributor...again , then check compression on the rest of the cylinders, and see what I have.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:08 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

So I pulled the valve covers and found 6 bent push rods.
I would scrutinize things to see if I could figure why 6 push rods bent. That is very peculiar.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:08 AM
VIIISecondRide
Heel & Toe

Okay- I put in 6 new pushrods, adjusted the valves as per the service manual, and fired that puppy up. Set the base timing to 8 BTDC plugged the little wire back in. Tomorrow we'll see how it runs.
Tom400CFI- I will see how it goes, a tear down wasn't in the cards right now. This car is kind of Rat Rod status.
I know it was the cheap and not-textbook way to fix it, but a new motor is a winter project. I have several to look at. For now she's running.
Thanks to everyone that replied.

Last edited by VIIISecondRide; 07-18-2014 at 12:15 AM. Reason: A reply that I didn't see.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:09 AM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I would scrutinize things to see if I could figure why 6 push rods bent. That is very peculiar

If the timing chain was installed correctly, this should never happen. Unless you floated the valves at some point, or had a mechanical interference you should not bend push rods....

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:15 AM
VIIISecondRide
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I would scrutinize things to see if I could figure why 6 push rods bent. That is very peculiar.
Originally Posted by cadmaniac
I would scrutinize things to see if I could figure why 6 push rods bent. That is very peculiar

If the timing chain was installed correctly, this should never happen. Unless you floated the valves at some point, or had a mechanical interference you should not bend push rods....

Keep us posted on your progress.
We were going down the road at highway speed when the chain "skipped" then shut down.My big gear didn't totally fail, it let the chain slip around.
It was that or the initial installation error, I was under the impression I was to line up the dots crank up cam down and have no 1 TDC. From the first crank it popped out the top. Could have happened at that point. The one pushrod was bent so violently it cracked.
Either way, I will see how it runs today.
The previous owner beat this car into submission, totally wore out every part of the rear suspension and burned a brand new set of rear tires (still had the nubs on them) to the cords. I am sure I will spend many more hours bonding with it in the shop
Old 07-27-2014, 08:20 PM
VIIISecondRide
Heel & Toe

Update- I put in 6 new pushrods, adjusted the valves as per the Alldata manual, didn't run right. Adjusted the valves the regular way- while running. Runs pretty good now. Dodged the bullet until I can get a better motor for it, we can pop the top off and ride .
Old 07-27-2014, 09:22 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Update- I put in 6 new pushrods, adjusted the valves as per the Alldata manual, didn't run right. Adjusted the valves the regular way- while running. Runs pretty good now. Dodged the bullet until I can get a better motor for it, we can pop the top off and ride .
hope you didn't flatten any of the cam lobes.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 PM
VIIISecondRide
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
hope you didn't flatten any of the cam lobes.
She seems to be running good, all the rocker arms looked to be moving when I adjusted them.

Quick Reply: 1984 popping through intake...