C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Update on low oil pressure on my '86!! Please Read!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:41 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Could the problem be in the dash cluster?
I had the same thing happen on my '85 and shut the thing off immediately. I checked the oil level and it was full. I started the engine no noises at all. I then noticed the gas gauge was doing the same thing, It was reading almost empty and I knew there was over a 1/4 tank. I drove home with no problem but I haven't had a chance to check further.
I can believe the cluster could be at fault. Not Sure though because someone said it read low and had problems, so mabey a manual pod style, I am curios to see what causes this.
Good Luck
Old 07-27-2014, 12:50 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on Get a Mechanical oil pressure gauge Hook it up I think they even sell nice electric digital ones that will piggy back off of the stock sending unit Period end of discussion. You can have someone flush ur coolant system do ur front brakes and rotate ur tires but not this
Old 07-27-2014, 06:51 AM
tnz5106
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cudamax
Come on Get a Mechanical oil pressure gauge Hook it up I think they even sell nice electric digital ones that will piggy back off of the stock sending unit Period end of discussion. You can have someone flush ur coolant system do ur front brakes and rotate ur tires but not this
That's my plan cudamax. I appreciate this advice a lot more than your previous post. I really haven't had that many opinions. But it's really not rocket science, except I need to verify myself with a manual gauge what the treasure is. End of story.

Thanks for everyone's input..........
Old 07-27-2014, 09:39 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

be sure and take a reading with hot oil. When oil gets low, clatter comes from the valves and lifters first,,then later, you will hear a scheeching noise that is your crank getting seezed to a bearing or worse, a loud thunk that is a rod holeing the block.Sounds like a malfunction in the gage or sender but I would sure find out b4 I drove the car again. One more thing, a drop in pressure from a wore out engine is a gradual thing, thaking maNY, many miles.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 07-27-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:10 AM
tnz5106
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
be sure and take a reading with hot oil. When oil gets low, clatter comes from the valves and lifters first,,then later, you will hear a scheeching noise that is your crank getting seezed to a bearing or worse, a loud thunk that is a rod holeing the block.Sounds like a malfunction in the gage or sender but I would sure find out b4 I drove the car again. One more thing, a drop in pressure from a wore out engine is a gradual thing, thaking maNY, many miles.
Being a former machinist and engine builder, I am very aware of the sounds a catastrophic engine failure makes. That's what makes this whole scenario so puzzling, the engine doesn't even make the slightest tick, not even on the top end. See what I mean? Hot or cold, there is plenty of oil on the rockers.
Next thing I am doing is starting the car cold with the manual gauge installed, and let it sit there and idle till the engine and oil temp is at least to 190 degrees and see what I get...........
Old 07-28-2014, 06:40 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We hear ya But you have to make sure By verifying with a mechanical to rule out ur electronic dash gauge is kaputz before u go on any long trips or spend money on little things like flushes/tires/furry dice ect
Old 07-28-2014, 08:28 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd be willing to guess the results of this...

the Atari Dash has, played it's last cruel joke.

I can't imagine a car surviving this long on that low of oil pressure. Synthetic or not.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:43 PM
tnz5106
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MavsAK
I'd be willing to guess the results of this...

the Atari Dash has, played it's last cruel joke.

I can't imagine a car surviving this long on that low of oil pressure. Synthetic or not.
One thing I did notice that hasn't ever happened before. When I was on my way home from my last 100 mile trip. When I flipped the oil psi switch to oil temp. It would stay on oil temp for about 5 seconds and then change itself back to oil psi without me touching the switch. May not have anything to do with it, but its never happened before.
I should have the mechanical gauge on there by Thursday...........

Quick Reply: Update on low oil pressure on my '86!! Please Read!