C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Up Shifting Problem..TV Related???

Old 07-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Buddee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up Shifting Problem..TV Related???

Car is an '84 with Auto 700R4 tranny.

When I first got the car last year I found it upshifted quickly..... so I ordered a B&M Shift Improver Kit. Was going to install it the Spring but came across some info here about TV cable adjustment. I did the that and car started shifting great... firm shifts....like it should have all along. Fast forward a couple months to now and I have the same problem again. It shifts from first to second at about 10 m/hr and by the time it hits 20 m/hr I'm in 3rd gear almost into 4th.

I went back to the TV cable and reset it again... a couple times.... no change. No other problems with the trans... I can put it in 1,2,3 on the shifter and everything is fine.... the fluid is pretty clean and at correct level.

Any ideas on how to proceed from here.... I was going to drop the pan and change the filter and fluid to see if that helped.... other than that a trip to a Transmission Shop.. which I would like to avoid unless everything else fails.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Buddee; 07-11-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

My 89' goes from 1st to 3rd at about 10mph, 2nd to 3rd at about 18mph and then overdrive at about 36mph if needed.

I also have a 700r4. Either you might not have a problem or I have a problem also that I didn't know about haha
Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you know what it felt like with good shifts my quess is you have a problem, try this car off go just like you are going to do a tv adj throdle all the wat at idel position push the plunger to let it retrack like you always do but this time when you have the release button pushed in help push in the part that retarcts have seem thim sskick in fact mine does this and to get it to fully retract I have do to what I just suggested. Hope this helps
Old 07-11-2014, 03:36 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

the govenor could also be hanging up and causing you problems this is also a easy fix but do as I suggested first
Old 07-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Buddee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses so far.
Hook... I did what u suggested already... The cable seems to be sliding just fine and the ratchet piece is not slipping .

What's with the govenor?

Last edited by Buddee; 07-11-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:56 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

the gov is towards the rear of the trans on the drivers side. It is litterly in the tail shaft. It has a round cover holding it in to remove the govenor take cover off and pull the govenor out. I would like to stree that I am not saying this is your problem but I do belive it could cause your problems. You could pull it out run to your local trans shop and get another one or have them take a look at it. They are relitive cheap. put a drain pain under the trans if you go this route to catch the fluid it will not be a lot but does not hurt to catch it. hopefully others will chime in if they have any other ideas

Get notified of new replies

To Up Shifting Problem..TV Related???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Up Shifting Problem..TV Related???