C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

PCM bracket broke from Safelite

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Waspination
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM bracket broke from Safelite

I just took my car in to get the windshield replaced. Got it back and found that my PCM bracket has broke.

My engine is from a 95 (lt1) with the PCM in the 87 body. The PCM always stuck out a bit so you would have to lift it up and then close the hood because of the older style hood.

So when this guy replaced the window, he slammed it shut and broke the bracket along with a piece from the wheel well molding.

Didn't realize he would open the hood for the window so I didn't mention it.

Is there anything I could even do in a situation like this being that my car is custom? I'm surprised he didn't see this. You clearly see the computer push up when opening the hood, which never hurt it. Only when putting the hood down is when attention to the PCM was needed.
Anyway should I see if they will cover it or anything?

UPload turned photos SRY
Attached Images    
Old 07-10-2014, 01:27 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

The installer had no choice but to open hood for windshield install. I would have thought you might have realized that. What's "obvious" to you certainly wouldn't/shouldn't be considered obvious to all.

I'd guess it's maybe time to maybe find a more appropriate home for the PCM or make your choice of location maybe a bit more secure. I believe I'd just take care of the repair and move on.

You might ask but I don't believe I'd get upset if they "declined" participation.

Was the windshield replacement clean with no damage to moldings and weather-strip? If it was a nice clean install you can maybe consider yourself fortunate.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-10-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

You should accept all the blame for this. First you made a change that was just a problem waiting to happen. Then you did not tell the installer about how he needed to be careful. Now you need to mount the PCM in a different manner so it does not hit the hood when the hood is closed normally. Good luck and be happy if the glass was installed correctly with no damage to the trim and no leaks.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:21 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yup... suck it up... the price we pay for being non-standard...
Old 07-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Waspination
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Windshield was installed good. Have not driven in the rain yet.
Look like ill just put effort into fixing a new bracket on for it.

Thx for the replies!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:53 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately when you "customize" things, YOU are then responsible for informing mechanics, valets and any others that things are NOT as they appear to be....

been there , done that.

This episode should be motivation to come up with a solution so that it cannot happen again.
Good luck !

Get notified of new replies

To PCM bracket broke from Safelite

Quick Reply: PCM bracket broke from Safelite