C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 bypass vats

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 05:37 PM
86 corvette
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 86 bypass vats

I have had some problem with my ignition keys lately. I am ready to make the change and bypass the VATS. I have looked at the aftermarket bypass modules and they look simple enough to install. My question is after I bypass the VATS do I need a blank ignition key cut without a resistor pellet or can I still use the old ignition key with resistor pellet removed?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:41 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by 86 corvette
I have had some problem with my ignition keys lately. I am ready to make the change and bypass the VATS. I have looked at the aftermarket bypass modules and they look simple enough to install. My question is after I bypass the VATS do I need a blank ignition key cut without a resistor pellet or can I still use the old ignition key with resistor pellet removed?

Thanks in advance.
You can use any key that is mechanically correct for the lock cylinder.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:10 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 corvette

Thanks in advance.
You don't even need to remove the resistance insert BUT you might explain what your problem has been. Is it a "no crank" issue with the car or is it maybe a "mechanical" issue with the cylinder? A "bypass" will NOT correct mechanical issues.

Explain your issues first!

An '86 can have it's own particular set of circumstances!
Old 07-01-2014, 06:15 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

Default Vats

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
You can use any key that is mechanically correct for the lock cylinder.

Be sure if you have another non-resistor key, I have read that the keys are a different length. If you bypass the Vats resistor with a purchased dongle, it's plug and play so if you ever want to return it to the original setup, you just plug it back in.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:51 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph

Be sure if you have another non-resistor key, I have read that the keys are a different length. If you bypass the Vats resistor with a purchased dongle, it's plug and play so if you ever want to return it to the original setup, you just plug it back in.
I have a vats ignition lock bypass in my car now that I purchased from Ecklers, it works fine...The problem is when I leave the car outside overnight like I will be doing at Carlisle in August, Im afraid it will be stolen while on the lot without the vats hooked up.. What I intend to do is hook the vats back up , and carry the Vats bypass module with me in case I would have any problems with the vats...It's a good idea to have a vat module, but if your car doesn't need it to run it's better to just carry it with you so your car can't be stolen...WW
Old 07-02-2014, 09:46 PM
86 corvette
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You don't even need to remove the resistance insert BUT you might explain what your problem has been. Is it a "no crank" issue with the car or is it maybe a "mechanical" issue with the cylinder? A "bypass" will NOT correct mechanical issues.

Explain your issues first!

An '86 can have it's own particular set of circumstances!
I bought the car in 1991. Third owner. I was given one ignition key when I bought the car. In 1995 I had a second ignition key made at a chevrolet dealership. Both keys have been in use since. I understand the basic function of the VATS and that the resistance value and resistor contact is critical. When I get a no start there is no starter solenoid engagement. I clean the resistor contacts with alcohol or an eraser and try again in 4 minutes. Over the last 23 years or so the car has started the first time 90-95% of the time. 5-10% of the time I have to try a second or third time before I get a start. Recently the times I have to try a second or third time is getting to be around 25-30% of the time. It has never failed to start.

It is an auto with 56,000 miles. It was driven on weekends for a few years and was garaged for the around 15 years and driven very little. Over the last two years I have been driving it to work 5 days a week. Original everything except battery and tires.

I am going to get a new ignition key made and see it that makes a difference before i go with the VATS bypass module.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:57 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

The problem can also be the contacts in the cylinder lock can become dirty or worn. It isn't always the key that's at fault. A swab and some alcohol can clean the contacts in the cylinder. Make sure you buy a GM key, I bought online, and one of the 2 keys I got wouldn't make contact....WW
Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Default Keys

If you have another key made, be sure to ohm it to insure the value is right before leaving the dealership. I just went through this with the one girl. She has a 2004 Buick and only 1 key so took it to the Chevy/Buick dealer and had a key made the other month. Well I tried out the new key the other week and wouldn't work. After some head scratching I grabbed the ohm meter and low and behold, the original key and replacement had different ohm values. Took it back and got the right one done, but while talking to the parts counter guy he was dumbfounded. Said all their keys come in inside plastic envelopes, they don't have them on a rack like at most key places (so someone couldn't have put a blank back on the wrong hook). Apparently the label didn't match the key blank inside the envelope on the first one.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:17 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Default Another idea

Originally Posted by WW7
I have a vats ignition lock bypass in my car now that I purchased from Ecklers, it works fine...The problem is when I leave the car outside overnight like I will be doing at Carlisle in August, Im afraid it will be stolen while on the lot without the vats hooked up.. What I intend to do is hook the vats back up , and carry the Vats bypass module with me in case I would have any problems with the vats...It's a good idea to have a vat module, but if your car doesn't need it to run it's better to just carry it with you so your car can't be stolen...WW
Good idea. Another is to get another set of male and female ends and wire in a toggle switch between the dongle and the wire to the vats (so you don't have to cut the wiring and hide the toggle switch somewhere). Break the circuit with the toggle and short of jumpering the starter they are going to have a hard time stealing your car.

Get notified of new replies

To 86 bypass vats

Quick Reply: 86 bypass vats