C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wiring dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:00 PM
Slow86vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring dilemma

Hey guys I have a simple question and need a simple answer if that's possible. I need to know how the fusable link that comes right off of the battery is wired into the harness. It starts off as red wires and goes through the link and has orange wires on the other side. It is under the brake booster and by the fuse block. I just need to know where the 2 red wires go on one end of the connector. I'm guessing one goes to the fan relay and the other to the positive terminal on the battery but I'm not sure.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Here's the schematic that shows the fusible links.

The Jump Start Block is the stud behind and below the battery where a bunch of fusible
links are bolted together.

From the Battery positive cable a Black wire goes to the Starter.

A Red wire goes to two fusible links. One fusible link provides power to the Fuel Pump Relay,
MAF relay, MAF Burn off relay and the Oil Pressure switch.

The other Fusible link goes to the Cooling Fan Relay.

Another Red wire provides 12 volts to the Battery Jumper Block.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 06-26-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Slow86vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hooked on Vettes
Here's the schematic that shows the fusible links.

The Jump Start Block is the stud behind and below the battery where a bunch of fusible
links are bolted together.

From the Battery positive cable a Black wire goes to the Starter.

A Red wire goes to two fusible links. One fusible link provides power to the Fuel Pump Relay,
MAF relay, MAF Burn off relay and the Oil Pressure switch.

The other Fusible link goes to the Cooling Fan Relay.

Another Red wire provides 12 volts to the Battery Jumper Block.

But what about the orange wires that go from the connector by the fuse block?
Old 06-27-2014, 12:27 AM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you talking about the fusible links or the fuse block on the passenger side end of dash?

Fusible link A provides power to the fuse panel.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Annoyed
Instructor

Oo oo, I'm interested.
I've wanted a diagram for that epicly stupid junction block for ages.
I see headlight fusible links lower right
If only the diagram was a bit clearer.. but thanks anyways, Hooked.

Oh and sorry I can't help you, Slow86. I don't have any fusible links coming off my battery terminals.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Slow86vette
Instructor

Yes the diagram isn't very clear for me. I know the wires coming off of this plug have constant 12v power. They are orange and seem to go to the ECM. I'm just curious what the 2 wire plug near the fuse block is there for and what it connects to. It has constant power so I feel like it's an accessory power but I'm not sure what it needs to be connected to, if that makes sense? It does in my head at least haha
Old 06-28-2014, 08:05 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow86vette
Hey guys I have a simple question and need a simple answer if that's possible. I need to know how the fusable link that comes right off of the battery is wired into the harness. It starts off as red wires and goes through the link and has orange wires on the other side. It is under the brake booster and by the fuse block. I just need to know where the 2 red wires go on one end of the connector. I'm guessing one goes to the fan relay and the other to the positive terminal on the battery but I'm not sure.
On my 86, 2 red wires leave positive cable. One goes to jump start block, the other goes into a barrel shaped splice cover. Where the red enters barrel, another red exits and is ECM power.
Exiting the other side of splice barrel are the 2 orange fusible links. They enter a connector and leave as 2 reds. These 2 reds go into wire harness and are the power source for main fan and booster fan. One goes to main fan relay on inner fender, the other to booster fan relay on front left corner of rad shroud.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:06 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Annoyed
Oo oo, I'm interested.
I've wanted a diagram for that epicly stupid junction block for ages.
I see headlight fusible links lower right
If only the diagram was a bit clearer.. but thanks anyways, Hooked.

Here is a high res scan from my 86 FSM

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Power%20Distribution.pdf
Old 06-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Annoyed
Instructor

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Here is a high res scan from my 86 FSM

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Power%20Distribution.pdf
Thanks mate.. but this diagram and thread have done my head in
What I don't understand is; What's the difference between the "jump start junction block" and what I call the "epicly stupid junction block" where all those cables and epicly stupid fusible links come out of the firewall by the battery?
It seems that other C4 Corvettes have a place to put jump start leads to to jump start your C4 without damaging electrical components
I've never seen seen this in pics/vids and have no idea how there would be room for such a thing near the battery
Or is the "jump start junction block" the same thing as the "epicly stupid junction block" and people call it "jump start junction block" for some very strange reason?

I just want to know what each cable is for which come out of that epicly stupid junction block by the battery (without trying to make sense of some overly complicated diagram with all the parts/fuses/relays in the wrong places). Why can't they make a diagram showing the block/box face-on up-close, and have all the cables numbered A1 A2...B1 B2.... like they do with ECM/ECU pinouts?

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring dilemma

Quick Reply: Wiring dilemma