C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 Headlight Repair...I'm Baffled!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 07:00 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts

Default 96 Headlight Repair...I'm Baffled!

Okay, just repaired my headlight on the driver side of my 96 with new gear/bushings because I was hearing the motor run for about 5 seconds when they were turned on/off.

When I had the headlight motor apart the original gear/bushings seemed to be fine, but since I took the time to take it apart figured I might as well put in the new gear/bushings.

Put it all back together, hook everything up...and flip the headlight switch and.......the headlight motor still runs for 5 seconds!

What did I miss? Is there some sensor in the headlight motor that tells it when to shut off?

I'm baffled at this point...
Old 06-25-2014, 01:42 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The headlight motor controller senses that the headlight has reached the stops and turns off the motor. Sounds like your problem is inside the controller. I suggest taking it apart to see if you can spot anything obvious.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:10 AM
Annoyed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My L/H side headlight does the same thing - except it blows the 10A "Gauges" fuse when it keeps trying to turn over (why the Gauges fuse I'll never know).

Cliff, where/what is this "controller" you speak of?
Old 06-25-2014, 04:38 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Placement diagram looks like the HL Control (rectangular box) is located on the front of the LH wheel well.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:18 AM
Annoyed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Placement diagram looks like the HL Control (rectangular box) is located on the front of the LH wheel well.
I thought those were (3) relays

All electrical-related things must be banned! Banned!! Ban headlights at least and we wouldn't have these problems & headaches! Yes!

Old 06-25-2014, 07:13 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The headlight motor controller senses that the headlight has reached the stops and turns off the motor. Sounds like your problem is inside the controller. I suggest taking it apart to see if you can spot anything obvious.
Hhhhmmmm, will have to look into that further. The problem is only with the LH side, the RH side operates as expected.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:21 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I thought those were (3) relays
The '88 has only a control module.

The problem is only with the LH side, the RH side operates as expected
You might unplug the two HL motors and swap leads with long jumper wires. If the problem goes with the swap then it's in the controler, else it's a mechanical fault in the HL assy.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:23 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

You might unplug the two HL motors and swap leads with long jumper wires. If the problem goes with the swap then it's in the controler, else it's a mechanical fault in the HL assy.
That's a good idea ! I'll give that a try hopefully later today.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:47 PM
ercriss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bac22 - read your post on my thread. I'll be following yours too.

Side Issue - I thought I'd do a little exploratory surgery and took the motor (the motor not the gear) apart. Inside I see there are two electrical leads that are held agaist the shaft of the motor with 2 springs. (almost kinda like brushes in a drill ??) Anyway, I found nothing of consequence. Carefully put everything back together. I had to fashion a couple strings to loop around the wires to hold back the leads against the spring while I lower the motor shaft back into the housing, then slip the string loops out releasing the springs. BUT now that motor won't turn over!!!

Any ideas I missed? The electrical leads ARE carrying voltage when switch is thrown.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:43 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

The '88 has only a control module.

Bummer, did as you suggest and the other motor showed the clicking, while the one that was doing it intially is now fine...guess that means the CCM is bad . Found this post about removing the CCM http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...from-a-c4.html

Had a bleeping mouse living in that area a few years back and it caused some problems which I suspect is what game headaches with the PKE, now it looks like the bastard caused the issues with the CCM since both are in the same location!

Oh well, other than the headlight, no codes and the car is running fine...probably live with it for this year...next years project!

Of course moral of the story is that don't always assume gears/bushings! If I had done this simple test from the start I would have realized it wasn't a gear/bushing problem.

Last edited by bac22; 07-05-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 Headlight Repair...I'm Baffled!

Quick Reply: 96 Headlight Repair...I'm Baffled!