C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Datamaster woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 07:31 PM
AVID
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Datamaster woes

I've been messing with datamaster to help shed some insight into why my 94 has been running so rough. I've got no codes, so I figured datamaster would be a useful tool to take a peak at what the engine is actually doing.

I come with some seeming anomalies:

1. I lose sync with the PCM every 5 or so seconds. It just can't keep a constant, stable connection.

2. When first starting the car it shows my knock counts at 1500. That's simply not right.

I'll post a few screen caps of my different data runs to see the weirdness I'm experiencing.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:37 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AVID
I've been messing with datamaster to help shed some insight into why my 94 has been running so rough. I've got no codes, so I figured datamaster would be a useful tool to take a peak at what the engine is actually doing.

I come with some seeming anomalies:

1. I lose sync with the PCM every 5 or so seconds. It just can't keep a constant, stable connection.

2. When first starting the car it shows my knock counts at 1500. That's simply not right.

I'll post a few screen caps of my different data runs to see the weirdness I'm experiencing.
Where did you get the cable from? Has it worked in the past properly?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:32 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

It's been awhile since I bought Datamaster, but I believe I had to shut off the screensavers and battery saver modes that put the computer on standby or sleep mode, there was also something called "CCM Handshake" that you had to disable or it wouldn't stay connected. .You may want to call TTS and see if they can tell you what you have to disable for Datamaster to stay connected and work properly....WW

http://www.ttspowersystems.com/DataM...downloads.html

Last edited by WW7; 06-14-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:07 PM
AVID
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrWillys
Where did you get the cable from? Has it worked in the past properly?
I got it from aldlcable.com

This was my first run with it, I'll need to work out the things that I'm doing wrong with datamaster, and possibly try some other programs too.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:50 AM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Try a different com port and see if that makes a difference.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:35 PM
AVID
Advanced

I'll give that a try the next time I take her for a spin. I would be working on Father's day and the last day of nice weather we're gonna have for a stretch.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:35 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
It's been awhile since I bought Datamaster, but I believe I had to shut off the screensavers and battery saver modes that put the computer on standby or sleep mode, there was also something called "CCM Handshake" that you had to disable or it wouldn't stay connected. .You may want to call TTS and see if they can tell you what you have to disable for Datamaster to stay connected and work properly....WW

http://www.ttspowersystems.com/DataM...downloads.html
This is exactly what I had to do when I datalogged with datamaster. No matter what I did the connection would fizle out quickly. Finally I disabled the "CCM Handshake" and it worked perfectly.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:01 PM
captainkawasaki
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
This is exactly what I had to do when I datalogged with datamaster. No matter what I did the connection would fizle out quickly. Finally I disabled the "CCM Handshake" and it worked perfectly.
I use Moates hardware and TunerPro on my '90. You definitely have to get the CCM to shut the *&^# up or you get all kinds of crazy garbage in the datalog. Not sure what the options are in Datamaster but I'm sure it can be done.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:24 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkawasaki
I use Moates hardware and TunerPro on my '90. You definitely have to get the CCM to shut the *&^# up or you get all kinds of crazy garbage in the datalog. Not sure what the options are in Datamaster but I'm sure it can be done.
One of these days I'm gonna pick your brain and learn how to tune for real (instead of depending on PCMforless).
Old 06-16-2014, 12:46 AM
AVID
Advanced

Thanks guys, hoping to get out there and give it another try soon this week.

Also,

on my first run once I started recording the data stream the Service ASR Light came on my DIC. Is that normal, or is it a symptom of the issues that I was experiencing?
Old 06-18-2014, 11:33 PM
AVID
Advanced

Default Posting pictures and video of my datarun

bumping this thread up with some pictures of my datarun, screen capture to follow in a few minutes. I have pictures of my histogram. I know there's something wrong here I just don't know where to look.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 PM
AVID
Advanced

Here is the video of my Datarun.

Last edited by AVID; 06-18-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:16 AM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Will it possible to email me your datalog file so I can analyze it further I sent you a PM with my info.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:16 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am having the same issue with the datamaster cutting out every 5 seconds or so. I will call TTS tomorrow!
Old 06-19-2014, 12:42 AM
AVID
Advanced

Originally Posted by FrankieD
Will it possible to email me your datalog file so I can analyze it further I sent you a PM with my info.
Just sent you a reply!
Old 06-19-2014, 01:22 AM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Ok from what I can tell you are getting intermittent "Data Err" which means you are possibly losing communication while datalogging. Please make sure that you have "Disabled CCM Handshake" before datalogging. This is found when you start to record under Options, Advanced then choose "Disable CCM Handshake". Then try capturing a new Datalog and resend me the new file.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 AM
AVID
Advanced

Originally Posted by FrankieD
Ok from what I can tell you are getting intermittent "Data Err" which means you are possibly losing communication while datalogging. Please make sure that you have "Disabled CCM Handshake" before datalogging. This is found when you start to record under Options, Advanced then choose "Disable CCM Handshake". Then try capturing a new Datalog and resend me the new file.
I'm gonna try to go out for another spin today (weather permitting ). I've got a few things to try along with the CCM handshake disable to try to get the communication line stable. Thanks for the help and suggestions so far everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Datamaster woes

Old 06-19-2014, 04:07 PM
AVID
Advanced

I've been at it again this afternoon. Took it for another spin and datamaster just doesn't agree with my car. I've disabled the ccm handshake and made sure everything was connected before I opened the program. I don't know what else the problem could be.

It's making it harder yet to figure out why the car runs so rough. Each time I drive it, it gets to be more un drivable. The car shakes when it stumbles and the exhaust pops when it stumbles. I don't have a clue.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:08 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

take a look at this posting. It suggests to try a program called "Scan9495" perhaps you can have luck with it:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-s...r-to-work.html
Old 06-19-2014, 08:22 PM
AVID
Advanced

Every time I do test com, it is successful but it doesn't tell me PCM detected it says CCM detected. Is that the root of my problem? I have no idea what would be causing that.

Quick Reply: Datamaster woes