C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Datamaster woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 09:59 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 568 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by AVID
I've been messing with datamaster to help shed some insight into why my 94 has been running so rough. I've got no codes, so I figured datamaster would be a useful tool to take a peak at what the engine is actually doing.

I come with some seeming anomalies:

1. I lose sync with the PCM every 5 or so seconds. It just can't keep a constant, stable connection.

2. When first starting the car it shows my knock counts at 1500. That's simply not right.

I'll post a few screen caps of my different data runs to see the weirdness I'm experiencing.
i have the same issue on my 93 with datamaster v4. Loses connection every 5 seconds or so.

Ive been round and round with datam.asters tech support on this no luck.

Now, datamaster v3.51 (no longer supported, or can you buy it from them anymore) works fine on my windows xp laptop.

#2 is normal. you get knock counts when starting a car
Old 06-19-2014, 10:00 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by MrWillys
Try a different com port and see if that makes a difference.
That wont make a difference with the hang ups.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:02 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Thanks guys, hoping to get out there and give it another try soon this week.

Also,

on my first run once I started recording the data stream the Service ASR Light came on my DIC. Is that normal, or is it a symptom of the issues that I was experiencing?
This is normal. I get it on my 93 when datalogging. Even with v3.51 which does not hang up
Old 06-19-2014, 10:05 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Every time I do test com, it is successful but it doesn't tell me PCM detected it says CCM detected. Is that the root of my problem? I have no idea what would be causing that.
Nah..its something about the cable driver and the v4 software
Old 06-19-2014, 10:45 PM
AVID
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Nah..its something about the cable driver and the v4 software
Thanks for the replies, I'll try another program and see what results I get.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:48 PM
captainkawasaki
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what order you are doing everything in but I found with TunerPro there is a specific order which must be followed for logging to work. Computer must be connected to the OBD1 port first. Car must be started. Then fire up the sequence to silence the CCM (I wrote mine into the logging startup script). Then start your data logging. If sit there key on/engine off and connect it will silence the CCM like it's supposed to but as soon as you crank the engine the ballast resistor shuts off all systems and the CCM restarts and begins blabbing and screwing up the data logging session.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:00 PM
AVID
Advanced

Does anybody have any ideas where I should start with the actual symptoms that I'm having with the car?
Old 06-20-2014, 03:35 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

you said your symptoms are " The car shakes when it stumbles and the exhaust pops when it stumbles" This sounds like a missfire dumping raw fuel in the exhaust. My suspicion is with the Optispark.

Last edited by FrankieD; 06-20-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:31 PM
AVID
Advanced

Originally Posted by FrankieD
you said your symptoms are " The car shakes when it stumbles and the exhaust pops when it stumbles" This sounds like a missfire dumping raw fuel in the exhaust. My suspicion is with the Optispark.
I was hoping you weren't gonna say that. As far as I know that Optispark is a true OEM Delco, as it was replaced at the dealer by the PO 5 years ago, with less than 5K on it. That's a real disappointment if it turns out that it is actually the Opti.

It hasn't stalled, or struggled to start so I hadn't been thinking Opti, I can't rule it out though. I've got plugs and wires coming, and a fuel filter waiting to go in as part of just a general tuneup. I'm hoping once I get that done it will solve this problem.

Car is 98% original with only 29K on it. Who knows what else will need to be replaced with it being driven so little.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:52 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

I was hoping you weren't gonna say that. As far as I know that Optispark is a true OEM Delco, as it was replaced at the dealer by the PO 5 years ago, with less than 5K on it. That's a real disappointment if it turns out that it is actually the Opti.

It hasn't stalled, or struggled to start so I hadn't been thinking Opti, I can't rule it out though. I've got plugs and wires coming, and a fuel filter waiting to go in as part of just a general tuneup. I'm hoping once I get that done it will solve this problem.

Car is 98% original with only 29K on it. Who knows what else will need to be replaced with it being driven so little.
Please see my optispark thread... (starts with title 'Newbs'),.

Also, we want to figure out datamaster it is the best software out there.

Id love to figure out how to get the latest version (v4) to work on windows 7.

if you can figure it out, let us know.

The other datalogging software is not as good. Datamaster captures up to 10 datapoints a second!
Old 06-22-2014, 12:59 AM
AVID
Advanced

I've got plugs and wires on the way now. Hoping and praying this alleviates the problem and it's not that Opti... I've still made no progress with datamaster. I'm afraid v4 is just broken when it comes to Windows 7. I have no idea when it comes to XP. I'd get a copy of XP if it meant I could actually use Datamaster.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:36 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I've got plugs and wires on the way now. Hoping and praying this alleviates the problem and it's not that Opti... I've still made no progress with datamaster. I'm afraid v4 is just broken when it comes to Windows 7. I have no idea when it comes to XP. I'd get a copy of XP if it meant I could actually use Datamaster.
It could be anything from the opti, to water/moisture in the fuel tank.. Having a program up and running would really help....WW
Old 06-22-2014, 10:27 AM
AVID
Advanced

Later today or tomorrow I'm gonna go give it another try with Datamaster and see if I can make any progress. I've got Scan9495 as well, I just don't know how accurate it will be as it was built for the F-body's. Any other recommendations for programs to datalog?

Quick Reply: Datamaster woes