C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

383 Install, When Is The Best Time To Connect Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:08 AM
corvette annette
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 Install, When Is The Best Time To Connect Headers?

I've never done this before, but I think I'll try it. The worst thing that can happen is I'll have to have the whole mess towed 1/4 mile down the road to my mechanic. TPIS is building me a "Stroker" for my 94 convertible. I ordered a "Cherry Picker" a "Happy Hooker" (Great monikers). I think I have enough tools. I've have the Haynes manual and read the threads. In a week or two, after the motor is put together, I'm going to take out my computer and the LTCC & LS2 coils I've installed. and send it up to Minnesota for Dyno-Day. I've already sent a ported Intake and all new sensors and a BBK 58mm throttle body.

At that point I'm going to take my reciprocating saw and cut off the old exhaust system, start taking pictures and labeling stuff and see if I can remove the old motor from the car. Maybe I'll plan it around a "girls weekend" and treat everybody to the nail salon after.

HERE IS MY QUESTION: In all my research for this project, I have not heard described the proper time to bolt up the headers in a motor install. 1) While it sits on the motor stand so it adds to the difficulty of maneuvering it into place when jacking it into the car? 2) After the motor is installed? 3) Somewhere in between --just hovering above the mounts, but loose enough so you don't get yourself into any jams?

My headers are Ceramic coated Long tubes 1 3/4 primaries from Exotic Muscle. They will be here in about 2 weeks. If the answer is #3 could someone describe the experience in some detail?
Old 06-06-2014, 12:43 PM
gman35
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default after

I would set the motor in place first... Gggg
Originally Posted by corvette annette
I've never done this before, but I think I'll try it. The worst thing that can happen is I'll have to have the whole mess towed 1/4 mile down the road to my mechanic. TPIS is building me a "Stroker" for my 94 convertible. I ordered a "Cherry Picker" a "Happy Hooker" (Great monikers). I think I have enough tools. I've have the Haynes manual and read the threads. In a week or two, after the motor is put together, I'm going to take out my computer and the LTCC & LS2 coils I've installed. and send it up to Minnesota for Dyno-Day. I've already sent a ported Intake and all new sensors and a BBK 58mm throttle body.

At that point I'm going to take my reciprocating saw and cut off the old exhaust system, start taking pictures and labeling stuff and see if I can remove the old motor from the car. Maybe I'll plan it around a "girls weekend" and treat everybody to the nail salon after.

HERE IS MY QUESTION: In all my research for this project, I have not heard described the proper time to bolt up the headers in a motor install. 1) While it sits on the motor stand so it adds to the difficulty of maneuvering it into place when jacking it into the car? 2) After the motor is installed? 3) Somewhere in between --just hovering above the mounts, but loose enough so you don't get yourself into any jams?

My headers are Ceramic coated Long tubes 1 3/4 primaries from Exotic Muscle. They will be here in about 2 weeks. If the answer is #3 could someone describe the experience in some detail?
Old 06-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Tapio@FTTRacing
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It basicly comes down to how one likes to do it. I prefer to put the headers on the car first, I'm not even connecting the collectors to the exhaust, I just put them in the engine bay. After that I just lower the engine back in and bolt up the headers. Or if that's not possible for some reason, I first install the engine and then the headers. I never install the headers on the engine while the engine is not in the car, it just dont work for me
Old 06-06-2014, 07:11 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 219 Posts

Getting the engine lowered back into the engine mounts (especially if the mounts are new) can be difficult, you will need access to the sides of the engine to get a long screwdriver or pry bar in to get the engine to drop in,
if you bolt the headers on first and drop the engine in you will most likely scratch them and they cause a problem trying to get them back under the firewall, because you have to come in from the side on a c4. on cars where you take the hood off and come in from the front you can do this, but doesnt work well on a clamshell.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

As someone who has put a 383 in a C4, and is using the Exotic Muscle headers, I would say that the headers and motor should go in together - but they (the headers) shouldn't be attached to the motor during the install. Have the headers kind of sitting in place in the car - and start lowering the motor in (I believe I used tie wraps to keep the headers about where I wanted them. When I did it - I had to move the headers around as the engine went in, and I didn't put any of the header bolts in place till the trans and torque arm were installed. It will be almost mandatory to have a second set of hands available for the install, but the actual process of getting the motor bolted in place doesn't take that that long.

GOOD LUCK !!!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:55 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Drop the motor in , then put the headers on before putting the other stuff on the engine.. If you do it this way you won't have all the accessories getting in your way..Putting headers on before installing the motor was always a hassle for me....After putting the motor in, and the headers on, then start bolting everything else onto the motor...I have installed quite a few motors and this has been the easiest way I have found....WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-07-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:20 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

When I did mine with EM headers, I attached the headers to the motor, sparkplugs, wires, everything and dropped it in. Then I put the transmission back in. I looked for more complete pictures but this is the best I could do. But the AC compressor, everything was attached.

IMO it is much easier to put them on the motor and then install the motor. FWIW I have done a head, cam, and header package and it is not easy getting the headers bolted on in the car.

Edit to add, I did take the fuel rails off to attach the happy hooker to the intake.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:10 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Well Annette,
As you can see there are many different ideas on the best time to install the headers......Looks like your going to have to roll the dice on this one.....One good thing is, that all the above methods do work..You and your friends will definitely need the nail salon after this job ( wear gloves).......Good Luck....WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-07-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Very interesting question. Good techniques here, but I do worry about that "happy hooker." Has anyone had those little bolts pull out?
Old 06-07-2014, 11:31 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Strick
Very interesting question. Good techniques here, but I do worry about that "happy hooker." Has anyone had those little bolts pull out?
I know a few guys that have used it with no problems, but I do share your concern and don't think I would trust the small bolts.. I just used a chain attached to the front and back to install my 383, like in the old days..If using a chain, a nice addition that can make things alot easier is to have an adjustable leveling plate with a crank so you can balance the motor anyway you want to.......WW

Here are a few::The last one from Amazon is a great deal...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kti-63423/overview/

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...veler/_/N-265d

Amazon.com: Torin T32100 Engine Leveler: Automotive Amazon.com: Torin T32100 Engine Leveler: Automotive

Last edited by WW7; 06-07-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:35 AM
BlackRaTT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Drop the motor in , then put the headers on before putting the other stuff on the engine.. If you do it this way you won't have all the accessories getting in your way..Putting headers on before installing the motor was always a hassle for me....After putting the motor in, and the headers on, then start bolting everything else onto the motor...I have installed quite a few motors and this has been the easiest way I have found....WW
I agree with WW, I did it that way and it was fine, leave the alt & a/c comp off. I installed it with EM longtube.

You will also want to reverse the motor mount bolts and attach the motor mounts to the engine 1st (IMO)

Best of luck.

Last edited by BlackRaTT; 06-07-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Tom 35th anniversary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I found that it was easier to put engine in on the mounts and then bolt the headers on......but I quickly learned that I could not install a full size starter without then removing the offending header.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:07 PM
sansonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All depends on how big the engine is and the headers themselves. I put headers on my 350 l98 and even then the fit was tight as hell and i had to have the trans out of the car or the motor wouldnt even go into the motor mounts. The right idea is to try and test fit the beside the motor with tie raps or bungie cords but even then its going to be tough. When you get the engine in the motor mounts leave the engine hoist attached so that you can kind of move the engine around to help put the headers in. And one last thing i tapped the gaskets to the headers and poked holes in the tape. Those things are a real pain to try and hold the gasket the correct way. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To 383 Install, When Is The Best Time To Connect Headers?

Quick Reply: 383 Install, When Is The Best Time To Connect Headers?