C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Saying goodbye to the DN 4+3

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:33 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Saying goodbye to the DN 4+3

I just purchased the Tremec TKO600 kit from Silver Sport Transmissions for my Z51 '84. The kit arrives Tuesday (tomorrow). I am having the kit professionally installed at a local performance shop. Hopefully all will go well.

Silver Sport acquired Keisler Engineering. They have been very helpful and their turn around was fantastic. And better yet, everything for the C4 kit was in stock.

I'll post more photos after the install later this week.
Attached Images   
Old 06-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Very nice car you have there. You will LOVE your car when your done, you won't miss that clunky 4+3 for a minute. I know i don't!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:49 PM
ray1979
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

let me know how you like it. I have the TKO 600 in mine and it shifts nice but has a little whine in certain gears. Let me know if yours does that.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:36 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Tranny

My 86 had a Tremec transplant in it when I purchased it. Found out something just this last week that's a carryover. Mine has a Dakota Digital convertor to change the tranny signal to the speedometer. Turns out my speedometer is off a couple of miles per hour and wanted to know how to adjust. Got a response on how to adjust and you need to do it while driving. Well when whoever did the swap out, mounted it under the hood so it's impossible to do it from inside the car while driving.

Just be aware in case you run into the same issue.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:43 AM
ray1979
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mounted the speedo box inside with wires long enough to reach me. There are two buttons on it u can hit it up or down a few times then take it for a ride to see where you are at. There are only a few wire so moving or extending the wires to the passenger compartment should be easy
Old 07-12-2014, 03:18 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

So how sis the installation go? Any issues or problems with fitment of the C-beam?

As time goes by, I think it will very difficult to rebuild the 4+3 OD unit as it looks like some parts are no longer available.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 AM
SilverOverdrives
Supporting Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

More photos please.
2250 Stock Creek Blvd.
Rockford TN 37853
jeff.kauffman@shiftsst.com
Authorized TREMEC Elite Distributor
Old 07-25-2014, 08:42 AM
SilverOverdrives
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
So how sis the installation go? Any issues or problems with fitment of the C-beam?

As time goes by, I think it will very difficult to rebuild the 4+3 OD unit as it looks like some parts are no longer available.
Cutting of the torque arm is not required.
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2014, 11:47 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Nothing for the later cars? Seems like it would (at least almost) be the same kit, or is the bellhousing a problem?
Old 07-25-2014, 12:39 PM
SilverOverdrives
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by mcm95403
Nothing for the later cars? Seems like it would (at least almost) be the same kit, or is the bellhousing a problem?
The real purpose of this kit is to replace the problematic DN 4+3 trans used from '84-'88. It retains the factory bell, flywheel, clutch, driveshaft and hydraulic actuator arrangement.

The ZF 6 speed debuted in 1989 and from what I understand, is reliable.

I suppose the TKO could be swapped into a later model using earlier parts but I don't see it making much sense to do so. Good question.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:45 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverOverdrives
The real purpose of this kit is to replace the problematic DN 4+3 trans used from '84-'88. It retains the factory bell, flywheel, clutch, driveshaft and hydraulic actuator arrangement.

I suppose the TKO could be swapped into a later model using earlier parts but I don't see it making much sense to do so. Good question.
Makes sense to me if there are other options, as ZF parts won't be around for ever.

Would love to see a box with dog ring slider/hubs. Looks like G-Force makes it for a T56 while retaining a fully synchronized overdrive.

Nice to see a vendor catering to the C4 market!

Regards,
Steve
Old 07-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Got a response on how to adjust and you need to do it while driving. Well when whoever did the swap out, mounted it under the hood so it's impossible to do it from inside the car while driving.
Couldn't you jack the rear, run it and make the adjustment?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:45 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Default Adjusting

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Couldn't you jack the rear, run it and make the adjustment?
Sure, could do that but I'd like to do it once and be done with it. The PO put 245/50-16's on the car which accounts for about 2% of the difference but it's off almost 7%. I'm thinking as soon as I can swing the right tires maybe see if I can get it on a chassis dyno for about 10 minutes and have them run it up to 60 mph and adjust it to be accurate.
Problem I see it is without some gauge to adjust the speedometer to, how to know if it's right or not.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Sure, could do that but I'd like to do it once and be done with it. The PO put 245/50-16's on the car which accounts for about 2% of the difference but it's off almost 7%. I'm thinking as soon as I can swing the right tires maybe see if I can get it on a chassis dyno for about 10 minutes and have them run it up to 60 mph and adjust it to be accurate.
Problem I see it is without some gauge to adjust the speedometer to, how to know if it's right or not.
Easy. GPS your speed or have a known good car tail you on the hwy at a fixed speed...say, 60 mph for example. How far off is your speedo reading, and in which direction? What is your RPM?

Jack car, bring up to same RPM (in same gear), adjust speedo into your chosen mph (in this case, 60 mph).
Old 07-26-2014, 03:02 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The only issue with jacking it up and running it at speed (other than obvious safety issues) is the have shaft u-joints have quite an angle on them. My vette didn't seem to enjoy that to much (at low speed even). I would rewire it to make the controls much more accessible. My DD SGI-5 sits in the old ashtray area (since removed to make room for the T56 shifter). Use a GPS to calibrate, there are a bunch of smart phone apps that make this too easy.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:18 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Default Misc

My phone makes and receives calls only and I don't have a standalone gps. The other week I did some timings based on mile markers, speedometer is showing 64-65 mph running cruise and the engine is turning about 16K rpms on a 60 second mile. I figure that once I can replace at a minimum the rear tires to oem size, it will bring it back closer, then maybe try the dyno idea to get it right on. Hate to do a lot now if it won't be right later.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:28 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverOverdrives

My understanding is that the ZF is VERY expensive to work on/repair and there is also the problem with the dual mass flywheel no longer being available. The regular flywheels give a "coffee can full of rocks" sound from the trans at idle.

I don't have a ZF car, so I'm just going off of what I've read here on the CF.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

My phone makes and receives calls only and I don't have a standalone gps. The other week I did some timings based on mile markers, speedometer is showing 64-65 mph running cruise and the engine is turning about 16K rpms on a 60 second mile. I figure that once I can replace at a minimum the rear tires to oem size, it will bring it back closer, then maybe try the dyno idea to get it right on. Hate to do a lot now if it won't be right later.
Copy that. It's just that earlier, you warned the OP and commented that:
so it's impossible to do it from inside the car while driving.
....I pointed out a way that you could fairly easily work around that problem, both for you and the OP. including not one, but two options for checking your speedo. If you'd rather wait, buy tires, then spend $$ on dyno time, that is another way to do it too. But the take-away here is that adjusting it while running is not "impossible".

Get notified of new replies

To Saying goodbye to the DN 4+3

Quick Reply: Saying goodbye to the DN 4+3