C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

God Damn Stupid F*c*ing Jinxed ass POS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:23 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default God Damn Stupid F*c*ing Jinxed *** POS!

Ahhhhhhhh!

That is about he point I am at with this stupid POS c4 corvette that I have owned for 2 years now and have barely driven! This week we got the new procharged 383 Lt4 that I have been steadily working on for 2 damn years in and When we fired it up, she sounded awesome! I thought it was going to be promising and have little to no issues! BOY was I wrong, First I had one of the LS7 coils go bad within a few minutes of test driving (LTCC)...After I fixed that, I found out the god damn clutch is slipping with anymore than 25% throttle input! Its a Spec stage 2 + with a fidanza aluminum flywheel. When It went together everything went perfect. zero issues. engagement is good. It does engage a little fast I think but its smooth and feels good until you get into boost. It feels like the throwout bearing is presisng up against the fingers of the pressure plate and not allowing the clutch to fully engage. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on? I am at my wits end with this car. Its about to get burnt to the god dang ground......As I said, It went together great and it seems smooth but she slips extremely easy. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-31-2014, 12:32 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Youre almost there man. Dont quit now.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:51 AM
solaris_vii
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is a different throw out bearing depending on if you have a blue tag or black tag zf6, and i think the difference is very hard to notice. maybe you have the wrong one??
Old 05-31-2014, 03:31 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Originally Posted by solaris_vii
there is a different throw out bearing depending on if you have a blue tag or black tag zf6, and i think the difference is very hard to notice. maybe you have the wrong one??
I believe the difference in throwout bearings is the size of the shaft on the two different transmissions? Anyone know for sure?
Old 05-31-2014, 05:26 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just give it to me and your life will once again have harmony.

I have a 91 with a "black tag" I think??? I can measure the shaft if need be.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:27 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
Just give it to me and your life will once again have harmony.

I have a 91 with a "black tag" I think??? I can measure the shaft if need be.
Please?
Old 05-31-2014, 11:15 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ahhhh, the joy of owning a 20+ year old sport car. Especially when modding said sport car. I would get in contact with Spec and Fidanza and ask them a bunch of questions about your set up and their products. There has to be a simple explanation or different part.

I DD my '85 and it is bone stock. Every week I pray that nothing major will happen to my only transportation to earn the money to help support my family so I may have a different view than you. I can tell you I work on my car EVERY weekend to try and keep up with what breaks. Last weekend it was an oil change and replace one headlight and find out why the other didnt work on low beam and lubed up my sticky throttle cable. Weekend before was fixing my console pad that had let loose and replaced both window switches. On and on. This week is replacing a bad LCD and tach filter. Oh, and the inner window sweep which popped off yesterday when letting the window up.

Now if anyone has a reason to burn their C4 its me but I dont want to ride the bus.....and I dont have full coverage.........and I have an honest heart.

I guess what I am saying is I definitely feel your pain. Our cars are something special and like that special woman take constant attention and finesse. If that "woman" is giving you so much trouble you want to "kill" it, its best to walk away and get a divorce....from either before you do something you will regret.

I hope you find your answer here or with the suppliers. Good luck with your project and remember that best laid (modding) plans can get derailed pretty quick. Adapt and overcome!!
Old 05-31-2014, 11:55 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had same problem with my spec 2+. Did you break the thing in first? Cause you cant just go stomping it and expect it to be perfect. I drove 500 miles on mine (very slightly modded L98) and it still slipped. I ended up having to drive for about a month and a half on the sucker ~1000 miles before it finally started locking up. Now I track the car hard and no problems what so ever. It just took a long time to finally break in. It still chatters a little every once in a while but not enough for me to worry about.

Ill take second in line if you want to give it away. If I were you just slap a carb on it and go. I know its tempting to do everything at once but sounds like you really took on a big job and chances for something to mess up is a lot higher. Fix two, upgrade one.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:03 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to the world of modifications.

My car breaks every other day too. And I've only put about 1000 miles on it since October when I started modifying it, since then there has been a problem all the time.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:23 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Welcome to the multi year build club

Don't know about your clutch but my dual disk is holding up well with my Supercharged 383

Perhaps the latter gen guys can help out with the coil?
Old 05-31-2014, 06:28 PM
bassackwards
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Y'all have convinced me to leave mine alone.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:37 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bassackwards
Y'all have convinced me to leave mine alone.
When I first got my Vette I bought all kind of neat sh#t to mod it. I then started thinking, well, it runs great now, why screw with it?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:06 PM
Baller
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell us how you really feel... :-)
Old 06-01-2014, 07:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not that my 2 cents worth means squat....but you 'should try' to not allow the boost to engage. The clutch DOES NEED to have time to seat.

What type of disc material did you use? I know the Kevlar discs so not like to be allowed to slip. They like shifting to be quick.

I tell all my customers with new clutches....that if it comes back and it is burnt, hot-spots or badly worn...WITH the 500+ mile break-in time....it is on them.

I use ONLY SPEC clutches at my shop...and have not had a problem with them EXCEPT from people who 'think' they know how to use a manual..but in reality...they do not.....and I am not writing that you do not know how to use a clutch. I take a drive with the customer and watch how they work the clutch, shift, etc...and 'try' to correct bad learned behavior....but in some cases it is met with opposition.

DUB
Old 06-01-2014, 08:15 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smooth1990
Please?
Just saw your post. What do you want me to measure? Just the outside diameter of the splined section? I'm at work but I could get it for you by tomorrow. Will it say "black tag" on the tag?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:35 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

The Input shaft of the black tag is thicker. I saw a post awhile ago that had the exact difference, but that's not a big deal. The TO bearing for the blue tag has a white nylon sleeve inside, the black tag bearing does not. If this is the original, and it's a 1990, then it is probably a black tag. Blue tags were '94 -'96.

It sounds like you might have to go back into your clutch assembly, and that sucks, but hey, there are worse things out there.

There are two things I would look at. First, check for glazing on the friction surfaces. When I did my clutch last year, I was told by a couple of people in the know that I should put about 500 miles of easy driving on it before really getting into it, and glazing is the reason why. I also roughed up the surfaces a bit with some maroon scotchbrite, and cleaned and dried them really well, being extra careful not to get any oil of grease on the friction surfaces. Which easier said than done in the belly of an almost 20 year old car.

The other thing to check is the pivot stud and clutch fork. The pivot stud can get worn with grooving on the contact points, which can defect the fork, and make clutch operation an overall P.I.A. It is also entirely possible that a procharged 383 LT4 could be throwing a bit more torque than that stage II can deal with. Not sure about that though.

Two good resources I found were Jim Jandik at powertorquesystems.com and Bill Bourdreaux at ZFdoc.com.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 06-01-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:36 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want some measurements from a blue tag mine is on the garage floor now.

Get notified of new replies

To God Damn Stupid F*c*ing Jinxed ass POS!

Old 06-01-2014, 10:52 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
The Input shaft of the black tag is thicker. I saw a post awhile ago that had the exact difference, but that's not a big deal. The TO bearing for the blue tag has a white nylon sleeve inside, the black tag bearing does not. If this is the original, and it's a 1990, then it is probably a black tag. Blue tags were '94 -'96.

It sounds like you might have to go back into your clutch assembly, and that sucks, but hey, there are worse things out there.

There are two things I would look at. First, check for glazing on the friction surfaces. When I did my clutch last year, I was told by a couple of people in the know that I should put about 500 miles of easy driving on it before really getting into it, and glazing is the reason why. I also roughed up the surfaces a bit with some maroon scotchbrite, and cleaned and dried them really well, being extra careful not to get any oil of grease on the friction surfaces. Which easier said than done in the belly of an almost 20 year old car.

The other thing to check is the pivot stud and clutch fork. The pivot stud can get worn with grooving on the contact points, which can defect the fork, and make clutch operation an overall P.I.A. It is also entirely possible that a procharged 383 LT4 could be throwing a bit more torque than that stage II can deal with. Not sure about that though.

Two good resources I found were Jim Jandik at powertorquesystems.com and Bill Bourdreaux at ZFdoc.com.
I agree! the spec stage 2 plus is close to the limit on this engine. The clutch is slipping at maybe 10% not 25% throttle input. Not much at all!!! I only have a couple of miles on the car and by no means have I let it get out of control or taken it out and slipped the crap out of it lol! I will drive her around real easy for a few hundred miles before I ease into the throttle anymore! I just cant believe it would slip that easy! But the car should be making around 650-700 whp. I will post back somethime later in the year and let you know how it goes! thanks guys.

Last edited by smooth1990; 06-01-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Carbd84
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you lived closer I could just head over there and help you get this thing running. Building a 383 is a cake walk I have no clue how the shop you brought it to messed it up 3 times. Don't need to remove near that much material to clear the rod bolts. Even if a hole gets put in the block I would rather try brazing the hole shut vs putting in some block seal crap and hoping for the best... Really hope you get some money back from them.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:46 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Not that my 2 cents worth means squat....but you 'should try' to not allow the boost to engage. The clutch DOES NEED to have time to seat.

What type of disc material did you use? I know the Kevlar discs so not like to be allowed to slip. They like shifting to be quick.

I tell all my customers with new clutches....that if it comes back and it is burnt, hot-spots or badly worn...WITH the 500+ mile break-in time....it is on them.

I use ONLY SPEC clutches at my shop...and have not had a problem with them EXCEPT from people who 'think' they know how to use a manual..but in reality...they do not.....and I am not writing that you do not know how to use a clutch. I take a drive with the customer and watch how they work the clutch, shift, etc...and 'try' to correct bad learned behavior....but in some cases it is met with opposition.

DUB
Clutch break-in is a good point
My tuner had me drive it off boost for 200 miles before he took it to the dyno
If it was an automatic he would have broke the engine in on the dyno

Quick Reply: God Damn Stupid F*c*ing Jinxed ass POS!