C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

88 starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:49 PM
gapretzel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 starter issues

Bought the car 1st week of April. Around the 1st of May I installed a new battery. A couple days later when I turned the key the starter went "ZINGGG". We all know the sound. Then when I turn the key again it would start right up. Did that 2 more times over the next 2 days. My thought was a bad tooth on the starter as it had not done this before. But.. it has been fine until yesterday it did it again. Any suggestions? Seems like if it was a bad tooth on starter it would do it more often. I have not pulled it off yet. Flywheel?
Thanks in advance for the help
Old 05-29-2014, 12:54 PM
MITCH
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gapretzel
Bought the car 1st week of April. Around the 1st of May I installed a new battery. A couple days later when I turned the key the starter went "ZINGGG". We all know the sound. Then when I turn the key again it would start right up. Did that 2 more times over the next 2 days. My thought was a bad tooth on the starter as it had not done this before. But.. it has been fine until yesterday it did it again. Any suggestions? Seems like if it was a bad tooth on starter it would do it more often. I have not pulled it off yet. Flywheel?
Thanks in advance for the help
It could be a bad solnoid on the starter cause the gear not to come out and spline with the flywheel.
Mitch
Old 05-29-2014, 01:06 PM
Race Prepared
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds like the starter, ragging on your flywheel.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:12 PM
gapretzel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Race Prepared
Sounds like the starter, ragging on your flywheel.
so you thinking replace starter. I would be willing to bet it will work fine when bench tested as it is doing it so sporadically. But I do not want to eat up the fly wheel.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2014, 09:42 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

don't keep doing that !

all that will do is grind on the flywheel...bad idea !

go out and buy a new mini style starter or at least make sure you get the ND starter and NOT the big bulky Delco unit... I think later yr models all had the smaller ND starter...L98 came with the Delco that was prone to solenoid problems...
Old 05-30-2014, 10:19 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by leesvet
don't keep doing that !

all that will do is grind on the flywheel...bad idea !

go out and buy a new mini style starter or at least make sure you get the ND starter and NOT the big bulky Delco unit... I think later yr models all had the smaller ND starter...L98 came with the Delco that was prone to solenoid problems...
OP's '88 would be the first year for the "compact starter" - Why the rush to condemn the starter motor? There's wiring to be considered and maybe a "carbon pile" load test on the car will shed more light on the situation. If it's an OE/GM starter I'd be inclined to do a build of the OE/GM than a purchase of an "off the shelf" reman. If it's not an OE/GM then I'd be very careful of what was purchased to replace it. Not everything that claims to be a performance HD unit is.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:15 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

True WV,
but most remans come with acceptable warranty and these tend to get sticky solenoids from crud or age, to me, its just best to replace. Rebuild the original top to bottom and have it on the shelf as a back up...
That's my plan, anyway...
Old 05-31-2014, 11:40 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There are good reliable remanufactured starters available. AC Delco and Bosch are good reman products. They will have a decent warranty. Don't bother with the chain parts stores stuff. Try Summit Racing for AC Delco starters.

There are new starters available that don't require a core return and I believe that AC Delco and Bosch are examples. Dealing with a core isn't a problem if you buy local, but online returns can be a PITA especially if you have to pay for shipping it back. And with having to return a core, you can't keep the bad starter to rebuild and have as a spare.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Dealing with a core isn't a problem if you buy local, but online returns can be a PITA especially if you have to pay for shipping it back. And with having to return a core, you can't keep the bad starter to rebuild and have as a spare.
You don't HAVE to return a core. You can keep it and forfeit the core charge.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:22 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
You don't HAVE to return a core. You can keep it and forfeit the core charge.
True, but some core charges can run into $50 to $60 depending on what is being returned.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:23 AM
S S0DEN
Racer

Missing/chipped tooth on the starter.

Get notified of new replies

To 88 starter issues

Quick Reply: 88 starter issues