C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

trouble shooting gurus please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:03 PM
ttt123
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Default trouble shooting gurus please help.

Hey guys I'll try to be descriptive with out making it to long, any input would be great.

picked up this vette Friday and have one issue. it is taking quite a bit of cranking to start and when it does it has a bog down/hesitation when initially giving it gas. or coming to a stop at a stop light. once i get going if i mash it it responds just fine but when stopping and taking off i have to feather the gas. closest i can relate it to is a flooded carb.

the dealership i got it from said it recently had a tune up including a "distributor" hmm but if it was the opti spark i don't think it would be only at idle??? please help.

thanks
brian
Old 05-28-2014, 08:13 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Could be rich from leaking injectors, put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if it bleeds down when you shut it off.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:26 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

We need to know the year.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:42 PM
ttt123
Racer

Sorry guys, 1994 - lt1 with auto.

What injectors would i replace with? I found plenty on ebay but they mention ev1???? Sorry guys i only know carb motors... This is new territory for me. I seen one listing saying 30lbs injector upgrades... Would that be ok. I do plan on rebuilding this winter with better cam, headers and performance heads.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:00 PM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123
Sorry guys, 1994 - lt1 with auto.

What injectors would i replace with? I found plenty on ebay but they mention ev1???? Sorry guys i only know carb motors... This is new territory for me. I seen one listing saying 30lbs injector upgrades... Would that be ok. I do plan on rebuilding this winter with better cam, headers and performance heads.
I would check it, with a pressure gauge first before buying injectors, and if you put 30 lbs injectors on it will need to be reprogram if it was not programed for the 30lbs injectors already. I would also check the IAC also.
Randy
Old 05-28-2014, 09:01 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

1. Dont buy injectors
2. Check for trouble codes
3. Check fuel pressure
4. Look at some spark plugs
5. post results
Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi
The hard starting could be caused by a number of things, the first thing to do is set the base idle. If someone has adjusted the throttlebody screw that can cause some problems, the IAC valve has some room to adjust either way so it would need to be a big change.

I do not know much about the 94 so hopefully someone will post the procedures, yes fuel injectors can leak or the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm tear but that would put fuel through the vacuum hoses and can flood the sump with fuel.

Best thing to do is get a shop manual for the 94 vette, that has all the diagnostic info to help trace down and fix any issues.
For fuel injectors call John from FIC

http://www.fuelinjectorconnection.com/
Old 05-28-2014, 09:20 PM
ttt123
Racer

Originally Posted by JackDidley
1. Dont buy injectors
3. Check fuel pressure
5. post results
I will dig into it.... Why cant it just be a simple quick fix i just bought this and just wanted to enjoy it a bit before winter lol
Old 05-28-2014, 10:14 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

I will dig into it.... Why cant it just be a simple quick fix i just bought this and just wanted to enjoy it a bit before winter lol

It may be a simple fix. Just have to do the homework first. Lots of LT1 guys on here that will help.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:33 PM
jsdomino
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with checking fuel pressure. It could be a simple as a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:14 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by JackDidley
1. Dont buy injectors
3. Check fuel pressure
5. post results
Couldn't agree with this more.

To be honest, your first major purchase for this car should be the Factory (Field) Service Manual, aka FSM.

I will say one of the things that seems to always get overlooked is the fuel pressure regulator. It is located at the rear of the fuel rail on the driver's side. There is a vacuum hose attached to it. Pull that hose and see if there is any fuel comeing out. I had very similar symptoms, and this was the issue.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:09 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

What injectors would i replace with? I found plenty on ebay but they mention ev1????
EV1 is the style of connector.

I agree with lt4obsesses. It sounds like your fuel pressure regulator diaphragm is ruptured.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:33 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Take it back to the dealer and tell them it doesn't run right!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:46 AM
ttt123
Racer

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Couldn't agree with this more.

To be honest, your first major purchase for this car should be the Factory (Field) Service Manual, aka FSM.

I will say one of the things that seems to always get overlooked is the fuel pressure regulator. It is located at the rear of the fuel rail on the driver's side. There is a vacuum hose attached to it. Pull that hose and see if there is any fuel comeing out. I had very similar symptoms, and this was the issue.
Should there be feul coming out?

The dealership is three hours away. My warrenty only cover block, heads, valve train, trans and rear end and i have to pay all diagnostic fees. It doesnt seem like it would be any of those.

Typing this on my phone from work so sorry if grammer is poor.

Thanks guys, your input is greatly appreciated. I will dig i to it over the weekend.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:29 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Should there be feul coming out?

The dealership is three hours away. My warrenty only cover block, heads, valve train, trans and rear end and i have to pay all diagnostic fees. It doesnt seem like it would be any of those.

Typing this on my phone from work so sorry if grammer is poor.

Thanks guys, your input is greatly appreciated. I will dig i to it over the weekend.
There should not be fuel coming out. If there is it's bad, but the good news is if this is your problem, it's cheap and easy to fix.

Post up what you find when you get to it.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

clean your idle air control valve.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:31 PM
ttt123
Racer

ordered an iac, will be here in a couple days. stopped by advanced auto and grabbed a fuel regulator. put it on and it worked. so a big thank you guys. when i pulled the vacuum line off gas did come out. so swapped it out and runs a lot better. still has a very slight hesitation on initial throttle but I'm thinking with the new iac and tune up hopefully that will go away as well. i do plan on tearing this motor apart this winter so this will get me through the summer.

thank you, thank you, thank you.

Brian

Get notified of new replies

To trouble shooting gurus please help.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:48 PM
LANDSHARK1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ugh...I posted a nice writeup and then deleted it when I saw you wrote that a fuel regulator worked.

Afterwards, I saw that you still have a slight hesitation.

Check your spark plug wires...I had the same bog/float/hesitation symptoms with mine and it turned out that the previous owner never replaced the spark plug wires because it was much harder to do so with the optispark. A lot of home mechanics do spark plugs, but not plug wires as they get intimidated when they see the waterpump and optispark.

Could be they are still original or old like mine were on my '95 LT-1.

That solved my problem and similar symptoms instantly.

Roy
Old 05-30-2014, 12:33 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

ordered an iac, will be here in a couple days. stopped by advanced auto and grabbed a fuel regulator. put it on and it worked. so a big thank you guys. when i pulled the vacuum line off gas did come out. so swapped it out and runs a lot better. still has a very slight hesitation on initial throttle but I'm thinking with the new iac and tune up hopefully that will go away as well. i do plan on tearing this motor apart this winter so this will get me through the summer.

thank you, thank you, thank you.

Brian
Thanks for posting the result. Too many searches have left me empty handed because because they never post what actually fixed it.

I agree with Landshark about the wires. And check the plugs, if you got it from a dealer, you don't really know if what they call a 'tune up' is what you would call a 'tune up'.

Also try driving a bit with some fresh premium 91 or 93 if you can get it. Again, if was sitting on a dealers lot and not driven alot, or if they put the cheap gas in it, a tank or two of the good stuff might help.

Clean up the MAF, and check your pcv valve, and look for vacuum leaks.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:16 PM
ttt123
Racer

well drove it today to work and it drove awesome. then on a short road trip .. it started up again this makes no sense. it ran great then started bogging out again. i pulled the vacuum hose off the new regulator and no fuel came out. i still haven't put the iac on yet sense it hasn't arrived yet. any thoughts? the spark plug wires are new.... feels like something with the fuel. ran awesome for then back to bog grrrr

Quick Reply: trouble shooting gurus please help.