C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stop sign; left turn; car stuck in 2nd gear (4+3)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 07:12 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stop sign; left turn; car stuck in 2nd gear (4+3)

So irritated right now. Was going for a HIGHLY leisurely drive today. Came to a stop sign. Had the car in 2nd gear. Did a rolling stop, nobody was around. Hate downshifting to 1st.

As I was taking the corner I felt something either leaving my car or being ran over. Didn't think anything of it... until I reached for third. The shifter is basically rock hard. I'm stuck in what I assume to be 2nd gear. OD still works, I so can basically ride around in a gear thats equivalent to 3rd or so.

Whats my next step? Or should I say first step?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:34 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Could be that something in the shifter mechanism has come loose or the 1-2 shift rod has come loose, broken, or has fallen off. The 1-2 rod is the rear rod and arm on the 4-speed side cover.

Even though you have 2nd with the shift handle unable to move, that would mean that you can't get to reverse.

Time to get under the car and check out the shift rods. You'll have to pull the driver's seat and the driver's side console panel to inspect the shift mechanism.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:49 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Old 05-26-2014, 08:28 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Could be that something in the shifter mechanism has come loose or the 1-2 shift rod has come loose, broken, or has fallen off. The 1-2 rod is the rear rod and arm on the 4-speed side cover.

Even though you have 2nd with the shift handle unable to move, that would mean that you can't get to reverse.

Time to get under the car and check out the shift rods. You'll have to pull the driver's seat and the driver's side console panel to inspect the shift mechanism.
Nope, no reverse. The shifter has perhaps 1/8" wiggle room in any direction. But its not moving otherwise. Why would this have happened? I baby shift like a ****... I dont power shift at ALL.

What does getting under the car have to do w/ removing the drivers side seat????
Old 05-26-2014, 09:07 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

You get under the car first to check the linkage and shift arms to help determine if its a shifter, linkage or transmission issue. With luck, you can hopefully shift it manually from below and possibly resolve the issue without tearing into console and shifter.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:21 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Ohh ok so IF there is a problem I can identify it from below, but must pull the drivers side seat to fix it?
Old 05-27-2014, 02:01 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The shifter linkage that attaches to the trans side cover is inspected from below. If the 1-2 rod has come loose from the arm, it should be able to be fixed under the car. Same with the arm that attaches to the rod coming out of the side cover. If it has come loose from the trans, it could be wedged in place and that could be why the shifter is not moving.

The shifter mechanism sits inside the car and bolted to the trans tunnel. Anything that's screwed up in that mechanism has to be dealt with from inside the car. Even adjusting the neutral gate has to done from inside.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:25 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

So what are my other options as to why the stick is NOT moving at all other than a jammed rod? There's no way in tar-nations my transmission has locked up is there?

What holds the shift rods in place, dowels and c-clips?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:27 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry vw for life but I have to say this is fascinating I hope you fix it real soon. Is there any way someone can put up some pictures or diagrams of these shift rods that attach to the transmission case.

And if a rod or arm could be disconnected in order to verify the internals arent stuck or bound up?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:33 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

^hahaha fascinating.. NOT one of the select terms I used when out for my "relaxing" cruise last weekend

Yes a diagram would be fantastic, actually.... anybody?
Old 05-28-2014, 03:59 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My car did something similar one time....it was a broken shift fork. Easy money, but you have to pop the side cover off.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:26 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Why would the shift fork go? That can be replaced via the side access panel?
Old 05-29-2014, 11:22 AM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think my '86 did something like this YEARS ago when I was still running the 4+3. I played with the shift linkage a few times over the years, but IIRC I had to pull the side cover to free up the stuck fork. Never had to go deeper (at the time). It's been a long time since but this might have been due to the shifter itself being out of "alignment".

First - Get under the car and check the linkage rods. You can remove the fork arm on the case and see which one's stuck. Or you can pull off one of the "Jezuz" clips on the pivots. (Keep in mind, "Jezuz" is spoken alot when it goes shooting across the garage never to seen again). Also take note (pic) of which way the arms/linkage it pointing before you remove any.

You might be able to free it up moving just the fork arms. If you have to take the side cover off the trans to free it up, get your FSM out and dont' loose the shift detent ball/spring.

And no matter what I would check the shifter "alignment". Open up the transmission console to lift up your shifter boot. Look down at the base of the shifter, you will the plates that make up the shifter mechanism. On the plates you will see a notch cut on each one. With the shifter in Neutral, that notch should be aligned. The FSM explains all of this, but I visually aligned rather than trying to use a alignment pin.

IIRC I had installed the Short Shift (Hurst?) linkage and that threw my shifter adjustment out of whack.

Last edited by DanZ51; 05-29-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:36 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

I have a short shifter installed also. But thanks a ton for that post man I appreciate and needed it.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:22 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no idea why it broke....snapped off right where it was machined to go into the side cover....it was an easy fix, found the part at the dealer....was 65 bucks at the time.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:40 PM
S S0DEN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That happened to me when the hydraulic line ruptured, I was stuck in 2nd gear.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:58 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Clutch still works for me

Get notified of new replies

To Stop sign; left turn; car stuck in 2nd gear (4+3)

Quick Reply: Stop sign; left turn; car stuck in 2nd gear (4+3)