C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

4+3 reverse problem

Old 05-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Richs85
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4+3 reverse problem

1985 4+3 shifts fine, clutch engages well. When in reverse, and backing uphill, or with resistance, slippage prevents movement. On level ground, no problems. Owned car 19 years, has 30k miles. I have never done maintenance on o/d unit. I had no idea how it worked until I started having problems. Took it to a trans shop, and they said the trans needed to be rebuilt. Could o/d unit or electrical problem cause this? Lately it started to intermittently engage/disengage o/d when engine was cold (normally engages @ 142 degrees). I can't understand a complete rebuild ($2-3K) when trans functions great except for uphill, backwards. Car is not abused.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:17 PM
rtmfamily
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richs85
1985 4+3 shifts fine, clutch engages well. When in reverse, and backing uphill, or with resistance, slippage prevents movement. On level ground, no problems. Owned car 19 years, has 30k miles. I have never done maintenance on o/d unit. I had no idea how it worked until I started having problems. Took it to a trans shop, and they said the trans needed to be rebuilt. Could o/d unit or electrical problem cause this? Lately it started to intermittently engage/disengage o/d when engine was cold (normally engages @ 142 degrees). I can't understand a complete rebuild ($2-3K) when trans functions great except for uphill, backwards. Car is not abused.
Yes, the OD unit will do just this. Mine behaved the same way, then let me down in the driveway. Got the unit off and apart and fiber and crud came out.
Choices are rebuilt with a Speed rebuild and you send them your core, Swap in a ZF and deal with the details,
Get a Kiesler 5 speed conversion. Kiesler went under but another company still sells the common 5 speed for this.
Mine is still apart and not moving. $$$ becomes the issue.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:49 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am sorry, but it is toast. A bearing has spun in the case. Time for a used replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To 4+3 reverse problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4+3 reverse problem