C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

need some help with ATI intercooler---Vortech SC installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 08:33 PM
rerquiredtext
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help with ATI intercooler---Vortech SC installation

I have a vortech SC on the car and i am in the process of putting on the ATI intercooler. I am running into 2 problems that i would appreciate some help with.

1. The hose that goes from the blower arm outlet ( this hose came with the ATI intercooler) doesnt seem to fit properly. The ATI SC outlet is curved while the Vortech is straight. Anyone find a hose to fit this ???

2. The other problem i have is on closing the hood. The hood is harder to close and i do not know if any of the IC piping is getting crushed. Anyone have this probelm???
Old 07-19-2002, 09:47 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: need some help with ATI intercooler---Vortech SC installation (rerquiredtext)

I'm wondering how you got your hoses before me ...LOL I have my intercooler from ATI and am still waiting for the hoses... Iwon't bore you with the details...

Anyway.. I was manufacturing my own hoses as an interm solution figuring 2 months for the intercooler the hoses will take thalong as well Prochager is not my friend these days... In manufacturung my hoses I ran into the same issues as you are..

Ok what I did was I went to a truck parts place and picked up a 90 and a 45 degree 3 inch pipe . I used 3 inch rubber hose that I also bought from the same place and basically cut and welded an adapter to compensate for the stright vice the curved outlet.

Rather than going with the soft hoses which I had heard 'crush" once the hood is closed I welded up a 3 inch pipe to go the length of the intercooler.

This is where I found my hood would not close. I found that the hose where the radiator "crowns" was too tall, so I used the intercooler as a guide and used a vise to "ovalize" the cold steel pipe then used a piece of 3 inch rubber hose to connect the adapter pipe to the long pipe.

I had to do the same with the i/c outlet to the throttle body... I used 4 inch pipe and hoses. Again welding the angles to compensate for the offset of the i/c to the throttle body. I'm now at the pont of cutting holes and welding the bung for the IAT sensor, and the bypass valve.

Hope this helps... mean while I'm waiting for the hoses HEH

Good luck let me know if I can be further help...

Mo
Old 07-28-2002, 08:38 PM
blown96vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: need some help with ATI intercooler---Vortech SC installation (rerquiredtext)

Good luck getting your hood to close. I found that using a thin layer of grease on the induction hoses showes you where your hoses hit the hood!!!! I had to place the blower outlet hose about an inch behind the intercooler to get the hood to close. It takes alot of work and trial to get the hood to close!! You will have to trim the Procharger outlet hoses for them to work right. Have faith it will work!!! If you need pics. I will send details to you!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2002, 01:57 AM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: need some help with ATI intercooler---Vortech SC installation (blown96vette)

Mine is the same way. Kinda hard to close the hood because the IC tubing hitting it. I have to push down both side of the hood to get it shut.

Bruce
93LT1 Conv w/ZF6
Blown D1-SC/N2O
ARE built 383ci/Stage II heads

Get notified of new replies

To need some help with ATI intercooler---Vortech SC installation

Quick Reply: need some help with ATI intercooler---Vortech SC installation