C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

High pressure in gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:40 AM
reddracer1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pressure in gas tank

Chasing very high pressure in gas tank. Haven't found a blockage yet, but removed the charcoal canister for inspection. Should the charcoal in the canister be loose? When I shake mine, I get no sound, or movement at all.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:05 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Are you talking about the air escaping noise when you open your fuel cap after driving it for awhile? That "hissing" noise is normal as the fuel is under pressure.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:40 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What year?

On my 91 Vette, the fuel tank had very high pressure when removing the gas cap. It sounded like the fuel tank walls where crushing in!...

I found the Vapor Canister Purge Valve diaphragm was stuck closed. I replaced the valve and pressure went down to normal levels.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by GKK
What year?

On my 91 Vette, the fuel tank had very high pressure when removing the gas cap. It sounded like the fuel tank walls where crushing in!...

I found the Vapor Canister Purge Valve diaphragm was stuck closed. I replaced the valve and pressure went down to normal levels.
Are you describing pressure or vacuum?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 PM
reddracer1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank high pressure

Originally Posted by 383vett
Definitely high pressure; 6-10 seconds of discharge on cracking the cap; also smell of raw gas when driving.

There is another thread I read thoroughly, but was't totally helpful. I haven't checked the tank pressure control valve nor the canister purge control solenoid yet, but was wanting to know if the charcoal in the canister should be loose. Mine, I don't believe is.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:33 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
When removing the gas cap, a large Whoosh of Pressure would release and it sounded like Vacuum was sucking in the fuel tank walls?...

When the new Purge Valve arrived, I tested the one way diaphragm on the old valve and it would not let air pass on either end. There was also, no charcoal in the lines or valve. The new purge valve would let air in on one end and not the other like it is supposed to work.

Installed the new purge valve and the slight raw fuel odor and high pressure dissipated.

Last edited by GKK; 04-17-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:45 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by reddracer1
was wanting to know if the charcoal in the canister should be loose. Mine, I don't believe is.
I recall seeing a picture of the inside of a canister. It has a lot of small charcoal pellets in it.

Get notified of new replies

To High pressure in gas tank

Quick Reply: High pressure in gas tank