C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Have you put a B&M mega shifter in your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:55 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Default Have you put a B&M mega shifter in your car?

If you have, what did you do for the neutral safety switch wiring? The stock switch has, I believe 6 terminals but the B&M piece only has two. How did you wire yours? I have checked in the search and found just about everything I need to know about this mod except the wiring.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:35 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
If you have, what did you do for the neutral safety switch wiring? The stock switch has, I believe 6 terminals but the B&M piece only has two. How did you wire yours? I have checked in the search and found just about everything I need to know about this mod except the wiring.
These were popular when i was in high school (early 90s).

A kid would get a 4 cylinder mustang lx (automatic) and would install a b&m megashifter, monster tach, and sometimes a neon license plate holder.

Total mis application that we can laugh together at.

the correct application would be for your (our) type car. Good luck

Last edited by dizwiz24; 04-17-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:36 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have, what did you do for the neutral safety switch wiring?
The stock switch has, I believe 6 terminals but the B&M piece only has two.
How did you wire yours? .
My B&M Quiksilver has 2 switches ; P/N and back up lights

Purple /thick green to NSS switch
Blue / green to back up switch

Black / org are for the P/N indication to ECM.I left mine disconnected with no apparent ill effects.
A certain tuner member on here berated me for doing so because it affects ECM idle operation
In any case that circuit can be activated it required by using a relay from the NSS

Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vetteoz

Black / org are for the P/N indication to ECM.I left mine disconnected with no apparent ill effects.
A certain tuner member on here berated me for doing so because it affects ECM idle operation
In any case that circuit can be activated it required by using a relay from the NSS

Wow, thanks, I can't ask for better than that. The P/N to the ecm was the ones I was concerned about. I will check with my tuner about those wires.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:45 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow, thanks, I can't ask for better than that. The P/N to the ecm was the ones I was concerned about. I will check with my tuner about those wires.
It's the orange wire (to ecm), and the black goes to ground. it completes a ground only when in park and neutral which adds 50 rpm (factory) to the idle on an 85, or whatever value the tuner wishes.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:56 PM
drjimmy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run one in mine for years. Love it. Let me know if you need any other help. The only thing that is annoying (but slightly useful for antitheft) is that I need to shake the shifter to start the car cause the switch is sticky.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drjimmy
I have run one in mine for years. Love it. Let me know if you need any other help. The only thing that is annoying (but slightly useful for antitheft) is that I need to shake the shifter to start the car cause the switch is sticky.
Thanks, I'll keep your offer in mind. I don't plan on doing the change until next winter but I already have the shifter and want to get everything else together. I want to see if Tunedperformance has any of those relays & pigtails left over.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:16 PM
cohocarl
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have checked in the search and found just about everything I need to know about this mod except the wiring.
Thanks for posting this question, and those who have replied.
I have a B&M Ripper shifter waiting to go in, and the wiring was a mystery. I bought the "Hammer" model because it is supposedly lower profile, (and it was a little less expensive) than some of the other models.

Thanks!

Last edited by cohocarl; 04-18-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cohocarl
Thanks for posting this question, and those who have replied.
I have a B&M Ripper shifter waiting to go in, and the wiring was a mystery.

Thanks!
No problem, I'm glad someone else can benefit from the info too.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:28 AM
cohocarl
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteoz

This seems too easy..., but 2 questions please.

I have converted over to a carb, so I don't have to worry about the ECM high idle wires. So that circuit is the only one that requires a relay be used?

The "Purple /thick green to NSS switch" wires are much heavier gauge than the rest. GM wouldn't waste the extra money for the heavier gauge wire unless it was needed to handle the current, so I'm assuming there are other processes on this same circuit, so is the micro switch on the shifter going to be able to handle the current?

Another issue is modification to the center console. I have an extra auto center section so I can booger one up in the process, but any pics that anyone has of their install would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl

Last edited by cohocarl; 04-18-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Carbd84
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is something that I need to do as well. Yet another thing on the list of mods to be done.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:13 AM
drjimmy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have converted over to a carb, so I don't have to worry about the ECM high idle wires. So that circuit is the only one that requires a relay be used?

The "Purple /thick green to NSS switch" wires are much heavier gauge than the rest. GM wouldn't waste the extra money for the heavier gauge wire unless it was needed to handle the current, so I'm assuming there are other processes on this same circuit, so is the micro switch on the shifter going to be able to handle the current?

Another issue is modification to the center console. I have an extra auto center section so I can booger one up in the process, but any pics that anyone has of their install would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl
I was working at a place that had a metal fabrication shop at the time I did the swap. I handed him my old console and he handed me back a sheet metal console. He even cut the holes for the power window switches. I only had to cut out where the new shifter went in.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Thanks,

Carl
I can't help you there, I won't be putting mine in until the car is put away next fall. It's been a long hard winter and I want to drive mine as much as possible right now. I also have a Dana 44 waiting for the failure of my 36 so if that should happen it would go in sooner.

Get notified of new replies

To Have you put a B&M mega shifter in your car?

Quick Reply: Have you put a B&M mega shifter in your car?