C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Corvette Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:09 PM
drvette85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1985 Corvette Questions

Hey everyone, I have a 1985 Corvette that has not been started in 7 years. It has been sitting in an open garage with a cover on it.

I am at a time where I want to get this car back on the road again. The car is in relatively good shape with approx 85,000 miles on the odometer. Paint is still real good and would just need leather and a little TLC.

Could you please give some detailed advise on what I might need to do before I attempt to start it. I am installing a new alternator, belt and battery.

Thanking you in advance
Gary
Old 04-16-2014, 04:24 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

you'll get lots of help on this....hopefully gas wasn't in it for 7 years....it's now varnish....i would say draining and flushing everything....hoses to fuel lines...change the fuel filter...i'd pull the fuel pump and sending unit...it's probably rusted together by now....plenty more you could do.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Protour63
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought an '85 that had been sitting since '99. Day 1- fuel pump, battery, spark plugs, fuel filter. That got it fired up. To this point I have now put plug wires, cap and rotor, all brakes and hoses, new water pump, injectors and intake manifold gaskets, serp. belt, belt tensioner, radiator and heater hoses, thermostat, fuel sending unit, and lots of cleaning time. This is a pretty good list. Should be ready for the summer now.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 PM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

I'd also change the oil and filter before starting it. I would then crank it over without starting it, disable the injectors, to get the oil circulating before letting it start. Just don't let the starter crank to long, you can damage it. Some short cranks should do. After that change the rest of the fluids.

Gary
Old 04-18-2014, 02:48 PM
ghr4news
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drvette85
Hey everyone, I have a 1985 Corvette that has not been started in 7 years. It has been sitting in an open garage with a cover on it.

I am at a time where I want to get this car back on the road again. The car is in relatively good shape with approx 85,000 miles on the odometer. Paint is still real good and would just need leather and a little TLC.

Could you please give some detailed advise on what I might need to do before I attempt to start it. I am installing a new alternator, belt and battery.

Thanking you in advance
Gary

Besides what everyone else has posted one other important thorough check or better yet replacement. All your vacuum hoses will probably need replacing. You don't need to order custom hoses, measure how much hose you'll need and just take a piece of the hose to your local auto parts store and like we have here in the U.S. they probably sell it by the foot. MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE ONE SECTION OF HOSE FROM END TO END AT A TIME.
They'll match up the size and you're ready to start replacing the hoses. Don't go too skimpy on not getting enough hose or just because a hose may look ok, it doesn't mean it needs replacing. Sometime the inner side of the hose is frail and when you go to start the car, the vacuum created may suck up a piece and it could take you months before you find out that it was a piece of hose that was clogging up one of the intakes. The vacuum system in a car may not seem important, yet it's what makes an engine run efficient and provide the best performance. Also clean out your mass air flow with the proper cleaning agent. If you're going to clean out the injectors and have already taken the fuel rail and plug assembly off, replace all the o-rings and seals. Do a thorough cleaning to the inside of the fuel tubes, including the front and rear crossover ones. If your car has a HEI distributor I would also recommend re-greasing the bottom of the terminal module with the proper anti-heat static grease. If you decide to replace the module, they usually include the grease. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 PM
drvette85
Instructor

Thank you for all the help guys!!! Now one other question. I am not sure how much old gas is in the tank as of yet but if there is quite a bit I would like to syphon it out. What is the best way to do that?? I removed the cap and took a sniff. It still smells like gasoline??? Pulled the dip stick and the oil looks and smells as clean as a new change. I will change the oil but am interested in the syphoning procedure. A mechanic said that if there is not a lot of gas than just use a conditioner and fill the tank with fresh fuel. Is this going to affect my fuel pump or old injectors???
Old 04-21-2014, 06:55 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Thank you for all the help guys!!! Now one other question. I am not sure how much old gas is in the tank as of yet but if there is quite a bit I would like to syphon it out. What is the best way to do that?? I removed the cap and took a sniff. It still smells like gasoline??? Pulled the dip stick and the oil looks and smells as clean as a new change. I will change the oil but am interested in the syphoning procedure. A mechanic said that if there is not a lot of gas than just use a conditioner and fill the tank with fresh fuel. Is this going to affect my fuel pump or old injectors???
if you don't mind pumping varnish through them....not an expert, but doesn't sound good....
Old 04-22-2014, 06:57 AM
cohocarl
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to syphon it out. What is the best way to do that??
You could disconnect the fuel filter, open your gas cap for a vent, and it may drain out (not sure how well it will flow through the fuel pump though) Unless it's up on ramps or on a lift, that wouldn't be my 1st choice.

You could just use a hose stuck in the tank and siphon it the old fashion way, but it would be a small hose to get through the filler neck.

If you are going to remove the F.P. assy., it would be much easier to siphon, but that's a good amount of work, and if the pump is working fine, why bother.

My 85 had been sitting a few years and I decided to drain the fuel out, which I did by removing the fuel filter, and large funnel with a hose on it running into an old 6 gal can while it was on my lift. Luckily my lawn mower which holds 10gals was nearly empty because I had about 12 gals in the tank of the Vette.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 AM
seamoose
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one last year (a 86) that sat for a long time .I had to do the top end gaskets vac lines injectors . I had taken the fuel pump out to replace it and was able to clean the tank out with a small hose on a little battery pump .you should have been able to see what it looked like with the pump out . Mine was full of crap . Good luck with it
Old 05-14-2014, 09:35 PM
drvette85
Instructor

Default Update

An update for all. Tried to pump the old gas and no go. Gas clear like water and smells and feels good. No sediment whatsoever. Filled the tank with 94 octane. Turned the crank manually and pistons moving. Removed fuel from distributor and turned over a couple times without starting. Reconnected fuel wire and started engine. Engine started, runs a tad rough but understandable. Even all electrical (eg. the dash worked) Checked for leaks and found nothing. Picked up new tires and Installed at home. Will be starting and running to make sure fan working, then changing all fluids. Then it's new leather, wee bit of body work and my dream is back!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:05 PM
cohocarl
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

...Removed fuel from distributor...
"There'z yer problem"

Got it running.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:11 PM
tlvols75
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have much to add to what has been said, but I got to say that I love threads like this. someone reviving an old c4. while I know they don't have the collector value older vettes have, they are still cool cars and really were the gateway to todays sportscars. they are a lot of fun to drive and still get my attention when I pass one on the road.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:45 PM
Vetterin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghr4news
Besides what everyone else has posted one other important thorough check or better yet replacement. All your vacuum hoses will probably need replacing. You don't need to order custom hoses, measure how much hose you'll need and just take a piece of the hose to your local auto parts store and like we have here in the U.S. they probably sell it by the foot. MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE Don't go too skimpy on not getting enouONE SECTION OF HOSE FROM END TO END AT A TIME.
FWIW, a good portion of your vacuum hoses are 5/32". I just bought a 50' reel of hose this week for $17.50 from Amazon as I plan to replace mine this weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette Questions

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette Questions