C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lowering cooling fans turn on temp.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:49 AM
ynot d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowering cooling fans turn on temp.

Any recommendations on where to get a new chip to turn on fans at 170 degrees. '90, Z-51
Old 04-16-2014, 12:17 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

I just ordered a chip from Tuned Performance on thirdgen.org and was told "closed loop occurs at 158F and higher", had my fan set too 195 on and 175 off.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:57 PM
S S0DEN
Racer

Originally Posted by BOOT77
I just ordered a chip from Tuned Performance on thirdgen.org and was told "closed loop occurs at 158F and higher", had my fan set too 195 on and 175 off.
MrWiley did mine for me, maybe shoot him a PM - VERY knowledgeable.

His website: www.scotthansen.net
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...-mrwillys.html
Old 04-16-2014, 01:46 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by S S0DEN
MrWiley did mine for me, maybe shoot him a PM - VERY knowledgeable.

His website: www.scotthansen.net
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...-mrwillys.html
Seems like a good option as well. Found this on his site. "#10. Cooling fan(s) settings: 160, 180, or 195. I recommend using at least a 180 thermostat for TPI."
Old 04-16-2014, 03:50 PM
ynot d
Instructor

Originally Posted by BOOT77
Seems like a good option as well. Found this on his site. "#10. Cooling fan(s) settings: 160, 180, or 195. I recommend using at least a 180 thermostat for TPI."
Thank you to all who responded
Old 04-16-2014, 03:57 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by ynot d
Any recommendations on where to get a new chip to turn on fans at 170 degrees. '90, Z-51
Having a "fan on" temperture of 170 degrees is not a good idea.... If you have a 90-95 degree day, and your not running on the highway, your fan will run constantly, because the fan won't be able to get the coolant temperture down that low..Also if the fan comes on at 170, at what point do you want it to shut off ...160.. 150.....I have my fan to turn on at 198 degrees and off at 183 degrees , this keeps it way cooler then stock but is something the fans can accomplish..But Im also running a Dewitts radiator and a high speed fan, which runs cooler to start with ....Also don't forget , oil has to get to somewhere around 185 degrees to get rid of the moisture....There is such a thing as being to cool.......WW

Last edited by WW7; 04-16-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:30 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

not sure about 90 but putting a manual fan switch in my 85 cost about 5 bucks.....
Old 04-16-2014, 06:01 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by playsdixie
not sure about 90 but putting a manual fan switch in my 85 cost about 5 bucks.....
My ecm is smarter than me, so I let it do the work!

TPI is not fully warm until it sees 170 degrees. This is why I like to use a 180F t-stat. With it I set the fans to 90C (about 195F) on, and 85C (about 185F) off. I will set fans to whatever people ask me to usually because it's their car, and I can only attempt guidance.

As Soden said, I do help people with programming, but I've also heard good things about the guy at Tuned Port Performance. I'm not on here to pimp programming, and don't do it for my living. The vendors who pay to advertise are supposed to get the credit, so I prefer to think of it as helping people. Ask Soden how much his chip cost? While I appreciate his props the IM I received back from him was worth more than money!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:58 PM
ynot d
Instructor

Thanks to all, & Mr ******, will be in touch as soon as I have $$ in hand.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:25 PM
S S0DEN
Racer

"MrWilly" not Wiley.... Now that I know the origin of the UserName haha.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:28 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Why even mess with the tune unless you have to?

This is all you need to turn the fans on at a lower temp. Even this is a little bit overkill. You can probably get the switch alone from Auto Zone, or the like, for about $25.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1984-1995.html
Old 04-18-2014, 08:42 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TA
Why even mess with the tune unless you have to?

This is all you need to turn the fans on at a lower temp. Even this is a little bit overkill. You can probably get the switch alone from Auto Zone, or the like, for about $25.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1984-1995.html
Cheaper then having the chip done..There are 4 different temp settings.....WW

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/catal...+Kit&x=35&y=10
Old 04-18-2014, 09:09 AM
MrWillys
Drifting

Originally Posted by WW7
Cheaper then having the chip done..There are 4 different temp settings.....WW

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/catal...+Kit&x=35&y=10
This is well worth a $5 savings ($49.99 + $10 shipping) when you compare how hard it is to remove 2 ea 1/4" screws to remove the memcal vs pulling out the old sensor, getting antifreeze all over the floor, tapping into both fan relay circuits, and refilling the lost coolant. Did I mention cleaning all the grease off your hands?

Not to mention the programmer can eliminate VATS, add performance spark, bring on PE sooner, enable highway mode, or a multitude of other modification to benefit the vehicle owner they may not even be aware of?

Yep, that $5 savings could buy you a beer at the bar!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:37 AM
mmccarson
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Higher temps generally occur in hot weather. Cooling fans automatically come on when you turn on the A/C. No need to modify anything.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 AM
TA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MrWillys
This is well worth a $5 savings ($49.99 + $10 shipping) when you compare how hard it is to remove 2 ea 1/4" screws to remove the memcal vs pulling out the old sensor, getting antifreeze all over the floor, tapping into both fan relay circuits, and refilling the lost coolant. Did I mention cleaning all the grease off your hands?

Not to mention the programmer can eliminate VATS, add performance spark, bring on PE sooner, enable highway mode, or a multitude of other modification to benefit the vehicle owner they may not even be aware of?

Or you get this for $25 and it comes with the wiring to wire the switch to the main fan also so both fans come on at 200 and go off at 185. Yes, you'll get your hands dirty, but you just bought a few more beers at the bar.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette...e-kit-611171-1
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Prom set to turn on both fans at around 205 off at 200.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:24 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Ok, we get it...But where can he get the chip changed for $65.00?? Will you do it for that price?..If so, then say so......PCM for less won't . Most tuners want at least $125.00-$150.00 to touch a chip...Plus there is always the chance of him breaking the chip getting it in and out because they get brittle after 24 years..,,Above is just an alternative to having it done in the chip, and believe it or not , a lot of guys have done it this way........The one at Mid America is only $25.00....I believe people should know all the options available to them before they make a decision.,,Don't you???.. If the guy wants to use you, that's fine, I hear you do good work , but there are alternatives....Believe me, there was no disrespect meant towards your craft......WW

Last edited by WW7; 04-18-2014 at 02:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering cooling fans turn on temp.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:28 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Originally Posted by WW7
Ok, we get it...But where can he get the chip changed for $65.00?? Will you do it for that price?..If so, then say so......PMC for less won't . Most tuners want at least $125.00-$150.00 to touch a chip...Plus there is always the chance of him breaking the chip getting it in and out because they get brittle after 24 years..,,Above is just a alternative to having it done in the chip, and believe it or not , a lot of guys have done it this way........The one at Mid America is only $25.00....I believe people should know all the options available to them before they make a decision.,,Don't you???.. If the guy wants to use you, that's fine, I hear you do good work , but there are alternatives....Believe me, there was no disrespect meant towards your craft......WW
Just playing the devils advocate here. The Mid America sensor at $33 (including shipping) is really a great option if you have the aptitude, tools, and resources to do the install yourself. However, sometimes people like ourselves take this for granted and fail to realize not everyone has these options available to them. I don't give a second thought to removing the dash in my F150 to replace a heater core, but my brother will take his car to the dealer to have a brake light replaced. Installing the sensor in the head would be the easy part (other than getting a little dirty, and possibly a bloody knuckle), but making sure you tie into the correct wires at the relays can be a challenge for some. Sometimes we think everyone knows rod bolts torque to 45 lbs.

Your right that not everyone needs a tuner, but for some it might really be easier is all I was pointing out.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:25 PM
TA
Team Owner

Just playing the devils advocate here. The Mid America sensor at $33 (including shipping) is really a great option if you have the aptitude, tools, and resources to do the install yourself. However, sometimes people like ourselves take this for granted and fail to realize not everyone has these options available to them. I don't give a second thought to removing the dash in my F150 to replace a heater core, but my brother will take his car to the dealer to have a brake light replaced. Installing the sensor in the head would be the easy part (other than getting a little dirty, and possibly a bloody knuckle), but making sure you tie into the correct wires at the relays can be a challenge for some. Sometimes we think everyone knows rod bolts torque to 45 lbs.

Your right that not everyone needs a tuner, but for some it might really be easier is all I was pointing out.
I do have to admit when I did mine years back, it was a major pain in the azz. For my year (91) there is a plug in the DS head that needs to be removed to install the sensor. The plug has a recessed square hole that is a very oddball size. It took me an afternoon of cursing and bloody knuckles to get it out. So I definitely understand what you're saying.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:08 AM
ynot d
Instructor

The cooling fans on my '90 don' turn on from the sensor in the head. That one is for the gauge only. THE FANS TURN ON FROM THE SENSOR AT THE FRONT OF THE INTAKE. it is a two wire sensor and I haven't seen any replacement. I have the fans wired for manual operation and have checked most of the causes for overheating except removing the water pump. This car has 8,600 miles. It has been flushed, rad checked for debris, timing checked, burped, etc. Sitting at lights in warm weather the temp will go too high. In cooler weather-no problem. Have a 160 thermostat installed. ??? When I turn the fans on manually (or fan) there is no problem.

Quick Reply: Lowering cooling fans turn on temp.