C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need advice on ZF clutch fork and stud.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:10 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Need advice on ZF clutch fork and stud.

So I'm getting closer to the point of engine and transmission install possibly by the end of the month. I have everything except for the clutch fork and stud for a ZF six speed. Couple of questions I have before posting a WTB ad in the for sale section are as follows:

I have a black tag box, are blue and black tag clutch forks the same?

Who sells clutch fork studs new for non ZR-1 black tags?

Are Doug Nash 4+3 clutch forks compatible? Only ask because I have a stud and fork from a 4+3 but I know the answer will probably be a resounding "no..."

How much is a used clutch fork for a ZF going to cost?

And last because of my paranoia, can ZR-1 specific ZF transmissions be used with gen 1 engines? I highly doubt I have a ZR-1 black tag but I honestly haven't examined the tag or input shaft. I saw a ZF clutch fork for a ZR-1 with an asking price of $250.....REEEALLY hoping that was because ZR-1 forks are different. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 04-16-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:58 PM
James93LT1
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

http://www.powertorquesystems.com/Co...CorvettePS.htm

http://www.powertorquesystems.com/Co...CorvetteCF.htm
Old 04-16-2014, 04:55 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
So I'm getting closer to the point of engine and transmission install possibly by the end of the month. I have everything except for the clutch fork and stud for a ZF six speed. Couple of questions I have before posting a WTB ad in the for sale section are as follows:

I have a black tag box, are blue and black tag clutch forks the same?

Who sells clutch fork studs new for non ZR-1 black tags?

Are Doug Nash 4+3 clutch forks compatible? Only ask because I have a stud and fork from a 4+3 but I know the answer will probably be a resounding "no..."

How much is a used clutch fork for a ZF going to cost?

And last because of my paranoia, can ZR-1 specific ZF transmissions be used with gen 1 engines? I highly doubt I have a ZR-1 black tag but I honestly haven't examined the tag or input shaft. I saw a ZF clutch fork for a ZR-1 with an asking price of $250.....REEEALLY hoping that was because ZR-1 forks are different. Thanks in advance.
All ZF forks are the same.

The stud is NOT - there is LT5 and L98/LT1-4 studs.

You certainly need to make sure you've got an L98/LT1 transmission before you do anything else. There is no using the LT5 ZF in an L98/LT1-4 application without changing the input shaft. The number on the transmission can ID the transmission. It's a 1052-0000-XXX, what is the last 3 numbers? You can confirm with the measuring of the input shaft. It's either 159.5mm (L98/LT1-4) or 190.5mm (LT5) from the case to the tip of the input shaft.

If you've not bought a clutch yet and don't have a slave either you might look into changing to a "push-style" clutch. There's some very nice stuff out there to accomplish that. McLeod does a 1345 that is a ZF specific application and although expensive it seems to be the more custom fit.

That eliminates the stud, fork and pull style release bearings that everyone has issues with.

You didn't mention but it seems you may have purchased already a clutch and flywheel. With a push style the clutch if you have it isn't going to work.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:08 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
All ZF forks are the same.

The stud is NOT - there is LT5 and L98/LT1-4 studs.

You certainly need to make sure you've got an L98/LT1 transmission before you do anything else. There is no using the LT5 ZF in an L98/LT1-4 application without changing the input shaft. The number on the transmission can ID the transmission. It's a 1052-0000-XXX, what is the last 3 numbers? You can confirm with the measuring of the input shaft. It's either 159.5mm (L98/LT1-4) or 190.5mm (LT5) from the case to the tip of the input shaft.

If you've not bought a clutch yet and don't have a slave either you might look into changing to a "push-style" clutch. There's some very nice stuff out there to accomplish that. McLeod does a 1345 that is a ZF specific application and although expensive it seems to be the more custom fit.

That eliminates the stud, fork and pull style release bearings that everyone has issues with.

You didn't mention but it seems you may have purchased already a clutch and flywheel. With a push style the clutch if you have it isn't going to work.

Thanks for the feedback, WV. I highly doubt it's a ZR-1 but that's the paranoia talking. I already picked up a spec clutch and fresh slave and master cylinder, so it's pull type here on out.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:23 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

WV, the last three numbers in that series are 036.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:30 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
WV, the last three numbers in that series are 036.
036 is a '90/'91 L98 and a 610Nm "black-tag" - all black tags are NOT equal.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on ZF clutch fork and stud.

Quick Reply: Need advice on ZF clutch fork and stud.