C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ignition timing issues

Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The popping noise is due to the larger diameter headers and 3" exhaust system...The engine also, lacks back pressure.

Perfectly normal, for the mods you have done...

Install the stock exhaust system and the popping will go away.

Last edited by GKK; 05-01-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:11 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

"If you are driving a slightly accelerate, then let off the gas, you get a few mild pops out the tail pipes."
That can't be due to a badly adjusted valve, it would pop all the time right. Because you say it is when you let off the gas it makes me think it is timing related. Just a thought. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:42 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tombrammer
"If you are driving a slightly accelerate, then let off the gas, you get a few mild pops out the tail pipes."
That can't be due to a badly adjusted valve, it would pop all the time right. Because you say it is when you let off the gas it makes me think it is timing related. Just a thought. Good luck.
I just fixed a misfire on my car, before I fixed it, it was popping out the exhaust on decel. During DFCO, all the cylinders went lean, and the one that was misfiring must not have burned even the tiny bit of fuel that was being injected. This showed up on the AFR gauge along with a popping out the exhaust. Showed 14:1 on the AFR gauge on DFCO.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 PM
joe paco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
I just fixed a misfire on my car, before I fixed it, it was popping out the exhaust on decel. During DFCO, all the cylinders went lean, and the one that was misfiring must not have burned even the tiny bit of fuel that was being injected. This showed up on the AFR gauge along with a popping out the exhaust. Showed 14:1 on the AFR gauge on DFCO.

Just my 2 cents.
I think the ECM shuts off the injectors during closed throttle deceleration. A popping should be a rich mixture, from my experience. I agree with GKK. The noise I heard on the video was normal.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:50 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
During DFCO, all the cylinders went lean,
DFCO is Deceleration Fuel CutOff, and it really does cut off the injectors completely -- no fuel into the cylinders.

I found out about this when I had a problem and had LEDs hooked up to the injectors. When I backed off the LEDs stopped flashing. Really freaked me out when I first saw it. Then I found out about DFCO...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition timing issues