C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

two step on an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Charles.rogers1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default two step on an auto?

This may seem stupid to some or most, but im curious I love the sound of 2step and was wondering it is was possible on an auto car? I dont even need it for launching, just love the sound of the rev limiter bounce but obv dont want it up at 6k or whatever it redlines at.. is there any other or better way to do it?
Old 04-15-2014, 01:18 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

It's possible, but I would think it's just a waste of money just using it for the sound... It motor vibrates like hell when I use my 2 step, so I'd imagine if you aren't using it for racing all you'd do it either wear out the motor mounts prematurely, or possibly flood the engine using it and possibly wash down the cylinder walls if you use it excessively.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:39 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do I not even know what this is?? I thought the two-step was a country dance.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Winnin'
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles.rogers1
I dont even need it for launching, just love the sound of the rev limiter bounce
If you don't need it for launching/racing, why? You would look ridicules doing this at a traffic light?
Old 04-15-2014, 03:02 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Winnin'
If you don't need it for launching/racing, why? You would look ridicules doing this at a traffic light?
Funny you should mention that. I just did it the other day at a traffic light and as soon as I let off there was a huge backfire that came out of the tail pipe, sounded like a gun shot. Everyone walking by ducked, and everyone in their cars was looking around like WTF!?
Old 04-15-2014, 03:09 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I use a 2 step with my automatic for bracket racing. I don't floor the gas pedal. I push it down until the motor starts to miss and get ready to launch. Flooring the pedal just loads up the motor and fills the crankase with fuel because the injectors keep injecting but the spark does not happen to alternating cylinders. The ***** on the left control the launch rpm. One is for 1000s and the other for 100s. With a tighter converter, I used to launch at 2000rpm. Now with a looser converter and double disk brakes on each rear wheel, I can set the launch rpm at 3400. The 2 step allows the driver to concentrate on the lights instead of looking at a tach.

Last edited by 383vett; 04-15-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:11 PM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 1963SS
Why do I not even know what this is?? I thought the two-step was a country dance.
From another forum...

"You rev while stationary, and the "2 step" stops your revs at a certain predetermined rpm. You keep the gas down so that it "bounces" off this secondary rev limiter, which allows you to launch more consistently. The launch rpm and how you choose to utilize it is up to you..."

Apparently, the 2-Step device allows for a second rev limiter for you to set for your launch RPM.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Charles.rogers1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt plan on using it for racing mostly because I prob wont race it much and I wasnt sure how it works with an auto.. im assuming you have to use a button or something to act as a clutch pedal in a manual.. I just like the sound of the limiter and I would use it mostly just for a bit of fun, I have the 6AL but I dont believe that is the one that has the limiter on it, I just couldnt imagine using that to do it if it does because it is almost under my dash on the passenger side haha
Old 04-16-2014, 01:44 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Charles.rogers1
I didnt plan on using it for racing mostly because I prob wont race it much and I wasnt sure how it works with an auto.. im assuming you have to use a button or something to act as a clutch pedal in a manual.. I just like the sound of the limiter and I would use it mostly just for a bit of fun, I have the 6AL but I dont believe that is the one that has the limiter on it, I just couldnt imagine using that to do it if it does because it is almost under my dash on the passenger side haha
For the 6AL2 with the two step, it has a blue wire that turns on the 2 step when 12 volts is applied to it. So you wire a switch to a 12v hot in run wire and the other side of the switch goes to the blue two step wire.

You have a rev limiter on the 6AL, so if you want you can turn down the rev limiter RPM to whatever you like and bounce off of that. Or you can set it to your actual desired redline and bounce off at red line so you don't have to reset the dial when you're done having fun.

Get notified of new replies

To two step on an auto?

Quick Reply: two step on an auto?