C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need help on my 87.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:22 PM
350stinger
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrWillys
I've looked really close at the memcal's for 10 + years and have never seen any significant difference that would indicate a rear end ratio requirement. In fact, some BCC's are identical with different codes. I believe this to be a myth due to GM showing some (not all) ratio's.
I suspect your multiple codes to be scanner related. Try the old memcal and see if you obtain the same result? Then try a different scanner.
So it really doesn't matter the axle ratio as long as it is the same year and the same transmission type ?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:31 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 350stinger
So it really doesn't matter the axle ratio as long as it is the same year and the same transmission type ?
Transmission type is important, but year isn't as important. A lot of people run the 89 ARAP (auto file), or the APYP (manual file) in 86 thru 88 cars with no problems. Axle ratio is not an issue.

More important is this is off the topic of the thread. Try the different memcals to eliminate its possibility, and then a different scanner.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:21 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The ECM uses the rear axle ratio to calculate the vehicle speed in MPH. It's used EVERYWHERE, so it might be important...

For auto transmissions, the ECM controls the torque converter lockup. It also turns on the SHIFT light if you drive "too fast" (on my car that's 40 MPH) in Drive to remind you to shift to OD.

The ECM also controls the SHIFT light on manual trans cars. I don't know the details of what else might be involved since I have an auto and I haven't looked at the manual trans code.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:55 AM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The ECM uses the rear axle ratio to calculate the vehicle speed in MPH. It's used EVERYWHERE, so it might be important.
The pulse per mile is calculated by the gears in the transmission tailhousing. While the ecm may use this signal to process certain functions, it is in no way capable of altering the signal it receives. whether the car has a 2.59, or 3.07 is of no concern to the ecm. If the rear gear is changed then the speedometer, lockup, and other devices will be receiving an incorrect value until the gears in the tail housing are rectified to the proper ratio.

Some BCC's were used for multiple rear gear ratio's as seen here:

http://www.chevythunder.com/prom_bcc_1986.htm

Last edited by MrWillys; 04-17-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help on my 87.