C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

spark plug wires 84

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 04:41 AM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default spark plug wires 84

The plug wires are a little beat up (one was mashed under the air cleaner cover) and I think its time for a new set.

The question, Accel or MSD ? I see a `national1 set for $28 and an acdelco set for $27 or $28. Accel for $41 and msd for $37. Im cheap but dont want to waste money and have to turn around and get another set.

What do you say Corvette people?
Old 04-13-2014, 05:42 AM
Mark8801
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
Im cheap but dont want to waste money and have to turn around and get another set.
I'd go ACDelco. Route them in a nice way, keep them off the exhuast and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark8801
I'd go ACDelco. Route them in a nice way, keep them off the exhuast and you shouldn't have any problems.
Using the correct spark plug loom clips as designed.

DUB
Old 04-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

You're doing a good job getting your '84 fixed up right! Just so you don't have any surprises when you replace your plug wires, you should verify that the #1 terminal on your distributor is positioned so that it's pointing at the #1 spark plug. If the previous owner installed the distributor in another position, (s)he may have used longer wires to get them to fit. As you probably know, this will work fine, but the stock length wires may not fit.

I'd go with the AC Delco set, too.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:07 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
You're doing a good job getting your '84 fixed up right! Just so you don't have any surprises when you replace your plug wires, you should verify that the #1 terminal on your distributor is positioned so that it's pointing at the #1 spark plug. If the previous owner installed the distributor in another position, (s)he may have used longer wires to get them to fit. As you probably know, this will work fine, but the stock length wires may not fit.

I'd go with the AC Delco set, too.

I better check that before I start putting them on, but I bet the distributors never been changed maybe not even the plug wires. The people who had this car never did a thing to it. It was full of leaves and twigs when I got it lol.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:06 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....5Z50000050F~~~
Old 04-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

I better check that before I start putting them on, but I bet the distributors never been changed maybe not even the plug wires. The people who had this car never did a thing to it. It was full of leaves and twigs when I got it lol.
original delco plug wires will be stamped or ID'd with the corresponding cylinder number. delco replacement sets do not have the cylinder number markings.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

AND...for what it is worth.

IF you are replacing your spark plug wires...take a careful look at the photo above.

In the photo...plug wire #5 and plug wire #7 are on OPPOSITE ends of this loom holder...FOR A REASON...this is in the firing order...5 and 7 fire beside each other...and it is wise to keep these 2 wires as far apart from one another as possible...but YET does not mean that you go in and use a darn zip-tie and bunch the wires on each side all together either. ALL of the wires need to stay separated as much as possible.

DUB
Old 04-15-2014, 03:57 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

One advantage of the AC Delco wires is that they are the correct length so they fit as they should.

This diagram may be helpful:

Old 04-15-2014, 06:23 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
One advantage of the AC Delco wires is that they are the correct length so they fit as they should.

This diagram may be helpful:

I bought a delco replacement set for my 85, and they were close to the original lengths, but they were not exact (as the originals). as far as your diagram, it's good for the firing order only, but no way shows the routing from the factory. for example, cylinder #1 and #3 route behind the distributor, and route to the RH side of the distributor. #2 also routes to the rear of the distributor. not sure why the factory did this, but they did. #1 wire is excessively long. here's a pic of a NOS, 1990 vintage, L98 - note LH side wire routing -

here's a shot of my 90's original wire rounting from the RH side of the distributor. note there are 5 wires held by a wire clip - #1, 8, 4, 3, and 6. from the LH side, wires #2, 5, and 7 are routed with #2 coming from the back side of the distributor.

BTW, I found the taylor 8mm silicone wire set was a better fit than a delco replacement set. there was only one wire in the taylor set (#7) that was a bit too long - about 2 inches from the original, but it did not cause an issue.

here's a shot of the new taylor's after installation - RH side of distributor. IMO, pretty good fit to the originals.

Last edited by Joe C; 04-19-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

GREAT PHOTO"S Joe C.

Also..because it is barley seen in your photo's is the 3 wire loom holder for the plug wires for cylinders 1,2 and 3..where they go under the distributor. I use this 3 wire loom holder there because I have encountered these wires...if left alone and allowed to drop and do "whatever"...they can come really close to or lay on the 4 wire connector for the distributor and effect it. I have repaired some cars due to the wires and the 4 wire distributor connector were on each other ...and when they were separated...the ignition problem went away. I have read that in the manual somewhere...so I always check.

DUB
Old 04-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
GREAT PHOTO"S Joe C.

Also..because it is barley seen in your photo's is the 3 wire loom holder for the plug wires for cylinders 1,2 and 3..where they go under the distributor. I use this 3 wire loom holder there because I have encountered these wires...if left alone and allowed to drop and do "whatever"...they can come really close to or lay on the 4 wire connector for the distributor and effect it. I have repaired some cars due to the wires and the 4 wire distributor connector were on each other ...and when they were separated...the ignition problem went away. I have read that in the manual somewhere...so I always check.

DUB
dub - thanks for pointing out that detail. I do have the factory 3-wire loom behind the distributor, but never gave much thought to the distributor 4-wire connector and its proximity to the plug wires. I just checked my 90, and it looks like the distributor wires and the #1 spark plug wire are in contact. i'll have to get in there and re-route the distributor wires a bit. I do have a slight, very slight, rough idle issue, and can't seem to pinpoint the cause. maybe it's nothing more than that. i'll let you know. thanks...
Old 04-15-2014, 08:33 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe C
I bought a delco replacement set for my 85, and they were close to the original lengths, but they were not the exact (as the originals). as far as your diagram, it's good for the firing order only, but no way show the routing from the factory. for example, cylinder #1 and #3 route behind the distributor, and route to the RH side of the distributor. #2 also routes to the rear of the distributor. not sure why the factory did this, but they did. #1 wire is excessively long. here's a pic of a NOS, 1990 vintage, L98 - note LH side wire routing -

here's a shot of my 90's original wire rounting from the RH side of the distributor. note there are 5 wires held by a wire clip - #1, 8, 4, 3, and 6. from the LH side, wires #2, 5, and 7 are routed with #2 coming from the back side of the distributor.

BTW, I found the taylor 8mm silicone wire set was a better fit than a delco replacement set. there was only one wire in the taylor set (#7) that was a bit too long - about 2 inches from the original, but it did not cause an issue.

here's a shot of the new taylor's after installation - RH side of distributor. IMO, pretty good fit to the originals.

I changed the 1 3 5 7 ones today and it started getting darker so tomorrow I`ll do the other side.

There was a buy $30 get $15 off at Napa so I wound up buying a Belkin set for $35 - the 15.

One and three did go behind the distributor over to the other side. Five was way too long and doubled over running back and forth. It seems like its a little smoother, one from 7 when I got it out and bent it slightly was split halfway through. The one from five was missing a little rubber from the outer coating.

Theres a slight miss once every two or three minutes its not regular enough to suspect the wires or plugs so I dont know where to start with that.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Theres a slight miss once every two or three minutes its not regular enough to suspect the wires or plugs so I dont know where to start with that.
check the plug wires and the 4-wire distributor harness per DUB's post. it may be nothing more than a proximity issue. mine are in contact - just need to get in there and re-route the distributor wiring. hopefully that will solve our problems.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Not meaning to be a smart @$$...but having wires that are too long and having them go back and forth is NOT the thing you want to have happen. You can be asking for problems right off the bat...or at least down the road. AND I HOPE that these wires are being correctly separated and secured ...instead of just laying "where ever". Doing plug wires is a time consuming job...that is if you do then as they were intended and designed to be installed. Easily a 2 to 3 hour job...and the back of the engine is the worst part getting them routed correctly.

I know you can do whatever you wish...which is fine...but nowhere in this post did someone recommend using the wires you bought. Possibly for a reason.

Spending good $$$ on the right parts that fit and perform are often times overlooked....and even if the "other parts" fit...the issue here is the ignition and the whole idea is to make sure you get the BEST possible current value to your spark plug. AND if the wires that are being installed seem to be "questionable" when they get hot...then it often times has to do with the quality of an item...which in many cases(not always) can cause for hiccups when the engine is running. I know that what you bought is a good line...just one I do not use. And when you possibly factor in mileage due to a good efficient running engine and getting better MPG...the more expensive wires can pay for themselves over the long term. The same goes for spark plugs (proper heat range and gap), distributor cap and rotor, etc. They ALL can add up to an engine running very well or one with problems.

I have had ignition parts brought to me to install on a customers car that they had purchased...and I can ohm out the wires and get different values....and I factor in length...and when I call the manufacturer...they can not tell me how many ohms the wire should have at one foot of length. SO this is when I being to question what has been purchased. But yet...the customer want me to make it run right...like I have a MAGIC WAND and can wave it over "questionable parts" and make the engine run perfectly...YEAH----RIGHT!

All I try to do is make each and every cylinder be the best it can be so the engine is powerful and balanced in regards to fuel and spark Kilovolt values....so the engine runs smooth as possible. When the physics of these systems are taken for granted...that is when small things can pop up and cause a problem.

Often times when parts are purchased strictly by looking at the dollar value...people seem to forget that they are usually comparing different parts from different manufacturers....which is pointless. I can comment on many parts that are inferior and I would not install for ANYTHING. The engine will fail in short amount of time...only because I have done it (due to customers bringing me parts) but I will not do it any longer. If it something that I do not feel is "good" enough...they can take their Corvette somewhere else. I got sick and tired of Corvettes that I installed "their parts" on failing.... and for some ODD REASON...THEY felt like it was my fault and MY RESPONSIBILITY to repair it and make it run....when THEY bought a piece of crap for a part.

OBVIOUSLY...any problems in running can also be attributed to another issue and have nothing to do with the plug wires...that have been installed.

DUB
Old 04-17-2014, 02:57 AM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Well it was the wire I took out that was long and doubled back and forth. I used one not as long, Im happy with the way I have them routed and its pretty smooth running now. I still need to change the other 4.

I found the coupon for Napa and Im cheap. But Belkin is a good name.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Well it was the wire I took out that was long and doubled back and forth. I used one not as long, Im happy with the way I have them routed and its pretty smooth running now. I still need to change the other 4.

I found the coupon for Napa and Im cheap. But Belkin is a good name.
Glad that you corrected the long wire.

I am all for someone who is "thrifty" with their money...but there is to a point where it can become counter productive very quickly. DO NOT ask me how I know this. Like I tell people often: "I am too poor to buy cheap". Having experienced so many scenarios when customers buy their own parts..bring them to me to install and problems occur in their performance...I learn form that and know what to do and what not to buy.

Seems like so far it is working for you.

DUB
Old 04-17-2014, 06:23 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

I understand that, its disappointing when you realize you didnt save a darn peny just threw money away really. And some might take it out on the wrong person, Im prepared to accept my own blame lol. But like I said Belden is pretty well known. I dont know why I said Belkin Im getting old.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

I understand that, its disappointing when you realize you didnt save a darn peny just threw money away really. And some might take it out on the wrong person, Im prepared to accept my own blame lol. But like I said Belden is pretty well known. I dont know why I said Belkin Im getting old.
I do not mean to come across to you as a jerk. I just HONESTLY wish you the best. AND trust me...I DO NOT KNOW everything....BUT at my age...I am afraid to change what I know works for me...because I do not ave time to do things twice....NOT IMPLYING that you will do this all over again.

Many people have a "comfort zone"...and when I feel like mine is being challenged by using in something that is NOT normally used....I begin to feel un-easy. I just try to aid anyone who cares to read my "stuff"...on what works for me.

I HONESTLY hope everything works out for you and I apologize if I came across in a negative light...that was not my intention.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To spark plug wires 84

Quick Reply: spark plug wires 84