C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

anyone run a magnaflow cat back on a lt1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:07 AM
ketzerracing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler deletes

Originally Posted by JMelton
I saved myself some money and had the mufflers cut out and replaced with a short section of straight pipe with the LT1 tips put back on. I still have the CATS and Resonator installed, just no mufflers.

Not much louder at cruise than the stock mufflers, but opens up when you romp on it. Cruising down the road, my wife says she can't tell the difference.

I was worried about it droning bad, but was really shocked when I drove it after having the work done.

Just thought I would throw that at you. Much cheaper, but still sounds good.

I just bought the muffler deletes like you... I'm sooo glad to hear how they perform . Thanks for posting that! That saves me a lot of stress and worry. Cutting the stock pipes had me worried! For $150 if they sound that good, they are definitely the way to go.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:38 AM
ketzerracing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
sorry guys but I wouldnt have a clue how to post a sound clip. there is one on the magnaflow web site though. torchtagra thanks for the imput. I think im about sold on it. to bad it didnt still sell for under 600 bucks. More like 8-900 for the full system now 600 for the axle back.

I didn't know how to post a video clip either.... so I figured this Forum has almost every other answer so why not look here... I did, and BOOM... here's how!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/help...be-videos.html
Old 04-15-2014, 07:20 PM
BucfanTitan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes thanks for sharing those deals on eBay are really good.

For awhile I thought about going with this setup then I realized that's crazy. its an h pipe with muff eliminators.
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1992-1995.html
Old 04-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BucfanTitan
Yes thanks for sharing those deals on eBay are really good.

For awhile I thought about going with this setup then I realized that's crazy. its an h pipe with muff eliminators.
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1992-1995.html
I wouldn't mind hearing how it sounds, but it seems like quite a bit of money for a bunch of pipes and two exhaust tips.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 PM
ketzerracing
Intermediate

I should be getting the car back tomorrow. Now that I've learned (here on the forum) how to post a video with sound, I'll surely put up how they sound so all can hear!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:41 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
you are the man. I just did some more extensive searching on ebay and this guy sold me one for $650 http://www.ebay.com/itm/380515717928...84.m1497.l2649
Lloyd, did your exhaust come in yet?
Old 04-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

yup its sitting in the box out in the garage.
Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Lloyd, did your exhaust come in yet?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:25 PM
BucfanTitan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anymore updates on the new system?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

not on yet. By the end of next week. Been a bit busy around here.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:40 AM
JackCT
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '05

I picked up the Magnaflow mufflers (axle back). I have had them on my 92 for 2 years. Overall the sound is deeper and better than stock in my opinion. I have noticed a bit of a "drone" inside the car around 45 mph. As that is the typical speed limit here it is noticeable. Other than that pretty happy with it.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

finally got the system installed. Took it for about a 120 mile ride to try it out. It sounds great. Is there drone? yes. But the only time i see it is if im in 6th gear and am going up a grade or pass a car where im loading it up at low rpm At a steady 55, 60, 65 there isnt enough sound to bother you. Its not totaly silent but its not a drone either. If i had to put up with the sound it makes going up a grade in 6th all the time i might look elsewhere but It sounds very quiet if i compare it to my old ls5 chevelle or he grand national i had with headers and a 3 inch flowmaster system. Now that one had drone. Is it as quite as a corsa? I dont have a clue as ive never heard one on a c4. But at twice the cost or more I surely would live forever with this system. One other thing to keep in mind is when i pulled off my old stock system i noticed that both of my cats are gutted completely which might add to that drone at low rpm.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:58 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JMelton
I saved myself some money and had the mufflers cut out and replaced with a short section of straight pipe with the LT1 tips put back on. I still have the CATS and Resonator installed, just no mufflers.

Not much louder at cruise than the stock mufflers, but opens up when you romp on it. Cruising down the road, my wife says she can't tell the difference.

I was worried about it droning bad, but was really shocked when I drove it after having the work done.

Just thought I would throw that at you. Much cheaper, but still sounds good.

Hey J Melton! Noticed you're in Greenville, SC. I'm just above Chesnee, SC in NC. My car I'm waiting for funds on to purchase is in Easley at 3Js. It is a manual 6 speed. First wondering if I'll have an issue here in NC if I remove the mufflers? Second, I notice other guys mentioned that have automatics and get the drone sound. Will I still have that drone sound with the manual? I want to get the C5 a little louder than stock. I had a 97 30th anniv camaro with the stock SLP performance package that had stainless flowmasters and sounded awesome! I don't have a lot of extra money to spend, but your idea of cutting out the mufflers sounds like the best bang for the buck. Just not sure what to do?!

Quick Reply: anyone run a magnaflow cat back on a lt1?