C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

c4 removable roof panel inner reconditioning

Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 PM
cvette_90
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c4 removable roof panel inner reconditioning

Is there a procedure/process for repairing the inner material of the removable roof panel? Mine is sagging. I live in San Fan bay area so a shop in the area is an option as well.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 PM
carguy604
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cvette_90
Is there a procedure/process for repairing the inner material of the removable roof panel? Mine is sagging. I live in San Fan bay area so a shop in the area is an option as well.
Go to Home Depot and buy yourself some 3/16" rolled cork, some masking tape and a can of 3M spray adhesive (I think it's maybe Spray #76 but check the back of the can). Then go to a fabric store and buy yourself some black felt fabric. Rip out your old headliner and scrap it and clean the underside of your top. Get an old cardboard box or a large piece of flat corrugated cardboard and make a template of what the headliner looks like. Make sure it's large enough to go under the lip around the perimeter of your top. Now cut your cork to match your template. Lay your fabric out and cut it to fit - allow maybe 3/16" extra around the perimeter. Then spray both the cork and the backside of the fabric - allow to get good and tacky and then lay it down. Be careful - you only get one shot at this - but if you do it correctly without introducing any wrinkles it will be fabulous. Now mask off the perimeter of your top with some newspaper and some tape and spray it as well as the backside of the cork. Allow to get tacky again and then press into place. Tuck the fabric edges under the lip around the perimeter of the top and allow to dry. Remove masking paper and tape and mount in your car. I did mine this way about 6 - 7 years ago and it looks better than stock. Elapsed time: about 1-1/2 hours and that included the time to go to Home Depot. Cost: about $20. Or you can send it to me and I'll do it for you for $200 (return freight charges extra). ;-)
Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Black LS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the 3M Super 77. Lay the top on the floor (on an old blanket) upside down. Stick the red tube in the 77, gently lift the headliner fabric up, stick the output end of the red tube into a small hole in the liner, and spray all over inside. Position the fabric, roll flat with moms rolling pin.

Most of the time the foam backing has degraded and lets the fabric fall...just needs a little glue.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,719 Likes on 929 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I pulled the entire thing out and painted the bottom of the roof flat black. Looks good and I got a little more clearance for my helmet.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 PM
cvette_90
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! thanks to all!
Old 04-16-2014, 11:27 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine didn't have a headliner when I got it. Bought a roll of lightweight black carpet from PepBoys and used 3M Super 90. Painted the frame satin black while I was at it.
More headroom like Kubs said.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 AM
viii
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy604
Go to Home Depot and buy yourself some 3/16" rolled cork, some masking tape and a can of 3M spray adhesive (I think it's maybe Spray #76 but check the back of the can). Then go to a fabric store and buy yourself some black felt fabric. Rip out your old headliner and scrap it and clean the underside of your top. Get an old cardboard box or a large piece of flat corrugated cardboard and make a template of what the headliner looks like. Make sure it's large enough to go under the lip around the perimeter of your top. Now cut your cork to match your template. Lay your fabric out and cut it to fit - allow maybe 3/16" extra around the perimeter. Then spray both the cork and the backside of the fabric - allow to get good and tacky and then lay it down. Be careful - you only get one shot at this - but if you do it correctly without introducing any wrinkles it will be fabulous. Now mask off the perimeter of your top with some newspaper and some tape and spray it as well as the backside of the cork. Allow to get tacky again and then press into place. Tuck the fabric edges under the lip around the perimeter of the top and allow to dry. Remove masking paper and tape and mount in your car. I did mine this way about 6 - 7 years ago and it looks better than stock. Elapsed time: about 1-1/2 hours and that included the time to go to Home Depot. Cost: about $20. Or you can send it to me and I'll do it for you for $200 (return freight charges extra). ;-)
this is excellent. thanks for the tips! things tend to sag when they get old. i have to do this on my 85. just started falling apart last year.

Get notified of new replies

To c4 removable roof panel inner reconditioning

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c4 removable roof panel inner reconditioning