C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 runs dies

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:45 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Default 86 runs dies

I guy I met has an 86 he's changed the fuel pump a couple of times and what he calls the fuel regulator "alittle black box under the hood" car starts runs for a few minutes and then dies doesn't matter if you put in in gear or not it just runs and then dies ANY IDEA"S???? I think the car is an auto tranny
Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

He probably changed the fuel pump relay. It should come on for 2 seconds when the ignition switch is turned on. It then turns off so the fuel pump won't run continuously if the ignition is turned on but the engine is not started. The fuel pump relay turns on whenever the engine is rotating, whether cranking or running.

The best way to troubleshoot this is to put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what happens. Check the gauge when the ignition is first turned on (without cranking), when the engine is running and after the engine is shut off (the pressure should hold for at least 15 minutes).
Old 02-08-2014, 08:32 AM
joe paco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
I guy I met has an 86 he's changed the fuel pump a couple of times and what he calls the fuel regulator "alittle black box under the hood" car starts runs for a few minutes and then dies doesn't matter if you put in in gear or not it just runs and then dies ANY IDEA"S???? I think the car is an auto tranny
if he knows how to pull the codes from the computer, I would start there. Auto-zone or others may do that for free. I can send you the test portions of the 86 FSM if you want.

Like Cliff says, it seems to be running out of fuel, but there is a backup to the fuel pump relay that should keep the pump running. the fuel filter may be clogged, or many other things.

the tests cover several pages in the Factory Service Manual.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:05 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

86 vette= OB-1
Old 02-08-2014, 06:18 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by joe paco
if he knows how to pull the codes from the computer, I would start there. Auto-zone or others may do that for free. I can send you the test portions of the 86 FSM if you want.

Like Cliff says, it seems to be running out of fuel, but there is a backup to the fuel pump relay that should keep the pump running. the fuel filter may be clogged, or many other things.

the tests cover several pages in the Factory Service Manual.
that would be great if you could send the test portions
Old 02-08-2014, 06:39 PM
joe paco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
that would be great if you could send the test portions
sent PM a while ago.

joe

Get notified of new replies

To 86 runs dies

Quick Reply: 86 runs dies