C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question re: exhaust drone and mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 PM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

CORSA or Leave It Stock .... !!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:55 PM
IAFF alumni
Tech Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Been through this one and beat it.

When I bought my 1992, it had a set of Borlas that had been added to the exhaust, replacing the stock mufflers.
They droned terribly.

I replaced everything from the block to the tips with a Stainless Works system.
Long tube headers, x-pipe, chambered mufflers, and polished square tips.

No more drone.

One thing I did notice... the Borla mufflers had one exhaust inlet, and two outlets.
The Stainless Works chambered mufflers have one inlet and one outlet.
Is that the reason the drone was eliminated?
I have no idea... but it is gone now.
Attached Images     

Last edited by IAFF alumni; 01-12-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
For the ones that are saying their system doesn't "drone" really mean that the drone isn't bothering them.
This statement has some SIGNIFICANT merit -- but is not universally true. I've had not one...but two systems that didn't drone. Neither were Corsa. (***) I fully believe chambered pipe doesn't drone either -- just from listening to vids.

Concluding there is only one expensive option isn't very open-minded. That was my reason for posting earlier in this thread.

(***Note: I've had six exhaust configs. Four had drone. I know what drone is.)
Old 01-13-2014, 06:13 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 85 has 500+HP, headers and lots of power. I used to have a B&B exhaust and the drone was horrendous. It was so bad that the car wasn't drivable. It basically made my ears bleed. When I changed to a Corsa exhaust, the drone completely disappeared. No more headaches and no more blood loss. The exhaust sounds great especially when you get on it. For those people who have drone and a Corsa exhaust, you've got a problem other than the exhaust; possibly a hole in your exhaust, etc. You should have 0 drone with a Corsa system.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
This statement has some SIGNIFICANT merit -- but is not universally true. I've had not one...but two systems that didn't drone. Neither were Corsa. (***) I fully believe chambered pipe doesn't drone either -- just from listening to vids.

Concluding there is only one expensive option isn't very open-minded. That was my reason for posting earlier in this thread.

(***Note: I've had six exhaust configs. Four had drone. I know what drone is.)
You might be right, but I don't see how there's any possible way you can tell if a car drones or not by watching a video.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:11 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by TA
You might be right, but I don't see how there's any possible way you can tell if a car drones or not by watching a video.
Combination of trusting another member and hearing how mild the result was in the vid. Isn't that why we post?

BTW...Chambered pipe sounded milder than Corsas -- by quite a bit. (Possibly milder than I'd prefer.)

I wonder if anyone has ever posted a vid of glass-packs/resonators?

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 01-14-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF you have two active exhaust points per muffler you will have Drone.

THAT is why the stocks have dummy pipes. Only on active outlet per muffler. The second is for looks.

Single outlets have cured this for me twice. Once by plugging one [ Borla types non-chambered] and once with Moroso racing mufflers [ and one 2.5 to the rear each].

Look at that picture in the previous post... one outlet... and that is the cure.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:09 AM
TA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Combination of trusting another member and hearing how mild the result was in the vid. Isn't that why we post?

BTW...Chambered pipe sounded milder than Corsas -- by quite a bit. (Possibly milder than I'd prefer.)

I wonder if anyone has ever posted a vid of glass-packs/resonators?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Milder does not equal less drone in my opinion. My Corsas are probably twice as loud as the Flowmasters I removed, however they don't resonate inside the car. I've always thought exhaust drone was something you felt more then you heard. With my old Flowmasters, it wasn't the sound they made that was annoying to me, it was the resonance I felt in my head.

If you listen to both the exhausts vids I have posted of my car (Flows vs. Corsa) you might assume that, since the Corsas are obviously louder, they must be more annoying in the car. In fact, quite the opposite is true. The more "mellow" sounding exhaust (Flowmaster) was unbearable to drive due to the drone while the louder (more aggressive sounding) exhaust did not drone.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:58 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by TA
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Milder does not equal less drone in my opinion. My Corsas are probably twice as loud as the Flowmasters I removed, however they don't resonate inside the car. I've always thought exhaust drone was something you felt more then you heard. With my old Flowmasters, it wasn't the sound they made that was annoying to me, it was the resonance I felt in my head.
I agree. But, I said I also trusted the feedback from the owner.

My exhaust is also louder now (after removing a muffler). That eliminated drone while making it bark on WOT. I have bullet cats and glass-packs still left in the system.

Before the sport-muffler, I had a center converter in that location. It also droned. Leaving that component out is what cured my issue.

A few years ago, I had some custom dual-tip "Monza" mufflers. They didn't drone either. I also had glass-packs mated with them. It was a milder Euro sound compared to what I have now. That chambered pipe vid reminded me quite a bit of this older setup I was running.

FWIW, I consider drone a tuning issue. Just like engineering the port size/length in a speaker cabinet -- to accenuate bass frequency, muffler systems can have a natural frequency which can "clash" with the cabin acoustics of your car. You have to make sure exhaust systems aren't loud near the frequency of the cabin. From what I can tell Corsas raise the exhaust frequency above that point. In my experience, using straight-through componenets like bullet cats, glass-packs, and chambered-pipe also raise the exhaust frequency. Typically, sport mufflers try to "deepen tone" for a beefier sound. That's good in theory...but causes it's own set of "tuning" problems. Larger pipe also raises tuning frequency. That's why LTx cars have less and issue than smaller-piped L98's.

I think the only issue with dual tips is they increase the sound-level. If the "note" isn't tuned correctly, it will make things worse. If tuned correctly, it won't matter. Of course, there's also wave-canceling techniques (where you run tubes between pipes). H-pipes and/or X-Pipes can change things better/worse. There's also custom tuning though I've found little on the subject.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 01-14-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:16 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

I have 3 systems a 95 auto with stock resonator and 40 series Flowmaster mufflers the drone is so bad I don't drive it.

A 96 LT4 with muffler eliminator's and stock resonator no drone.

A 91 ZR-1 had a series 50 duel out let cat back set-up with & without headers no drone. Now has headers catback Corsa no drone.

Vid is Flowmaster catback no drone.

Flowmaster they are 50 series 3 chamber, not sure they still make them.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Ally
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We Gone's exhaust sounds pretty good but how can you tell it doesn't have drone when the video's all done outside and the car is still? Don't you have to film inside and be cruising?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:49 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by We Gone
I have 3 systems a 95 auto with stock resonator and 40 series Flowmaster mufflers the drone is so bad I don't drive it.

A 96 LT4 with muffler eliminator's and stock resonator no drone.
See, this is exactly what I was talking about above.
What sounds good to one person, can be obnoxious to another.

I also have a '96 LT4 with stock resonator and muffler eliminators.
I will guarantee you there is "drone".
It may not bother you (it does not bother me), but it is there.
You don't hear it on the outside, but at certain rpm and engine load there is drone inside the cabin.

Originally Posted by Ally
We Gone's exhaust sounds pretty good but how can you tell it doesn't have drone when the video's all done outside and the car is still? Don't you have to film inside and be cruising?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

I have found that Auto's may have drone VS a 6 speed with the same set up also with and without cats changes the sound or drone.

Last edited by FASTAZU; 01-14-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:52 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ally
I dont think any form of filming can detect drone... thats something that you experience while actually driving it and the sound waves are slamming the insides of your head.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Pete919
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=We Gone;1585916746]I have 3 systems a 95 auto with stock resonator and 40 series Flowmaster mufflers the drone is so bad I don't drive it.

My 94 6spd has has that same setup. The drone is so bad it's painful. I'll be looking for stock mufflers soon.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:08 PM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I just recently installed the Muffler Eliminators on my 92 (factory cats and resonator intact). It is pretty loud but low frequency drone seems to be at a minimum. I was thinking of experimenting with a pair of these inserts, installed where the Eliminators connect to the factory exhaust, to see if I can control some of the volume. What do you guys think?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:46 PM
TA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by volkswagens-for-life
I dont think any form of filming can detect drone... thats something that you experience while actually driving it and the sound waves are slamming the insides of your head.
Exactly

Get notified of new replies

To Question re: exhaust drone and mufflers

Old 01-15-2014, 01:28 AM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to add a bit... I've heard that Chambered pipe; while quieter, is very disruptive to the exhaust flow, and at best will only flow as well as the "pinched" areas are sized. If you have a 2 1/2" pipe pinched to a 2" opening, it will only flow what a 2" opening will allow. Probably not much of a concern for most cars, but higher HP cars could be hurt by using them.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 AM
JMelton
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Curveit
I just wanted to add a bit... I've heard that Chambered pipe; while quieter, is very disruptive to the exhaust flow, and at best will only flow as well as the "pinched" areas are sized. If you have a 2 1/2" pipe pinched to a 2" opening, it will only flow what a 2" opening will allow. Probably not much of a concern for most cars, but higher HP cars could be hurt by using them.

You might want to research it versus what you've "heard".

I'm not going to say that no one ever made pinched pipes like you describe, but quality "chambered pipes" don't do that.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:11 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm using 1 3/4" headers to a 3" collector into a magnaflow 3" catback system on my 93. Drone is there at low RPM high gear, but it's tolerable.

I think it comes down to what you people can handle.

Quick Reply: Question re: exhaust drone and mufflers