C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

replacement radio size

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:16 AM
Dano86
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement radio size

I am looking to replace the Bose gold radio system in my 92 Coupe.
My question is I don't know what size space I have (that wont require any mods to the dash preferably). If I could find a decent touch screen for a good price that would be ideal. I don't like the little cubby hole look that you get with just a regular deck.
Does anyone know these dimensions??

Thanks for you time
Dano
Old 12-20-2013, 06:27 AM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

on my 90 its a 2 din size radio, I used a sony it filled the space perfectly, i did have to cut the the plastic support in back of the radio to clear the wires. i did not use a touch screen but most 2 din size radio should fit.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:00 AM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a pic of the Alpine double din in my 90.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:59 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You need to get in touch with Dennis at Double D Mods. He's a supporting vendor and has helped many members work thru the installation of aftermarket radios i both C4's and C5's.

The OEM radio is just a little smaller than a double din. IIRC< it had been referred to as a "din and a half" size. The component in the dash is just the head unit. The radio receiver is located just above the passenger side footwell kick panel.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:38 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

A double din will fit, but you will have to cut out the bracket behind the radio to make it fit. Another good source for radios is Crutchfield.com. You can enter in your car (year,type, radio) and it will bring back a list of radios that will fit.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Dano86
Instructor

Thanks for all the info! As of now I am planning on a pioneer FH-X700BT. Does anyone have this model? What do you think of it?
Old 12-22-2013, 12:50 AM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dano86
Thanks for all the info! As of now I am planning on a pioneer FH-X700BT. Does anyone have this model? What do you think of it?
That is what I installed in my car. It is a pretty good stereo. You can adjust the colors to almost match the instrumentation in the car. Overall, it sounds great, has more audio setup options than I understand, the bluetooth works great with my android phone, and the USB port allows me to listen for hours. However, for some reason, Pioneer chose to angle the outer edges of the faceplate. Because of this, it doesn't fill the hole as it should, and therefore has a very aftermarket look. For that reason, if I had to do it again, I would go with a diffferent model. I added a couple of pics. I should have wiped the smears off of the face before snapping the pics...oh well.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Dano86
Instructor

Thanks for the pics! I am not to fond of the angled edges either but I like all the color options to match everything else. I would have liked to stay stock but I am not going to spend the money and time when its 22 years old already. By the time I got the rears working either the deck or front speakers would go out!
Thanks again
Old 12-22-2013, 10:29 AM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dano86
Thanks for the pics! I am not to fond of the angled edges either but I like all the color options to match everything else. I would have liked to stay stock but I am not going to spend the money and time when its 22 years old already. By the time I got the rears working either the deck or front speakers would go out!
Thanks again
Looks like you are planning to change the speakers. If not, you soon will. You can go with the stock speakers, but you will have to deal with a loud "pop" from the bose speakers any time you touch the head unit. I've heard that they make an adapter for that, but don't know the part number. Good luck with the install.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I also suggest Crutchfield.com. You go there and enter your car info and it will list every model that fits. They also tell you what cables and adapters to use for each model. Even if you don't buy there it's a good starting point to see what's available for your year.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Dano86
Instructor

Yup the rear speakers are the whole reason I am doing this!
I have been to crutchfield.com after reading countless threads and their help is great but nothing beats the help of people on this forum. Thanks tho
Old 12-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Dano86
Instructor

So ... 6-3/4 kickers fit perfectly in the rear with NO mods needed!!
but on the front i have 5-1/4 kickers. does anyone have any pictures of what they did for simple mod for installation or can give a good detailed account???

Thanks in advance!!!
Dano
Old 12-29-2013, 12:47 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

There is a post on here where someone took a lot of time to build nice fiberglass housings for his front speakers. I took the cheap route and made mine out of 1/4" plyboard. I used the original housing as a pattern and then used a jigsaw to cut it out. I then used spacers to offset the speaker at the correct angle. It took a little trial and error, but I got everything to fit just fine. The front speaker pockets aren't very deep, so I stuck piece of foam behind the speaker to make sure the speaker magnet didn't contact the metal housing. If you want to install a separate tweeter, make sure you offset the speaker to make room for it. I chose to re-use the original speaker cover. I did pull off the carpet and recover with speaker mesh that I purchased from the local fabric store. (If you go that route, be prepared to lose a little manhood and to walk around smelling like mothballs for a few days. ) if your speaker isn't flush-mounted, you will have very little room between the new speaker and speaker cover.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by AirForceOne!
Here's a pic of the Alpine double din in my 90.

Lucky you haha I have an 89' and it can only fit a single din Oh well maybe one day I can have another C4 of the later style and finally get the double din I have long waited for

Also the alpine unit looks really nice

Get notified of new replies

To replacement radio size

Quick Reply: replacement radio size