C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Won't pass emissions in new jersey

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 02:37 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To get a code 15 the ecm is seeing a temp of 0 or less. a 160 stat should not cause the code. my quess is a bad sensor or a bad connection at the sensor. I would still replace the stat for the simple reason for I think GM knows more about these cars and where they need to be to be running at then any boby. I still run the 195 stat and never had a problem and with you failing I would waant to get what I can back in spec.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Fan switch not really. Thermostat has more to do with operating temperture. The cooling fan switch merely turns fan on, does fan constantly run? OEM fuel system designed for 195-205 operating temp. Since port style fuel injection came out there really isn't and advantage to the super low operating temp. The exception would be an engine that has carburetor or that won't run properly with available fuel and trying to combat pre-ignition/detonation. I would suggest trying 180 long term or swap 195 in to get through I/M test. O2 is the bigger issue, you will not pass if car won't go into closed loop.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:46 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hooked073
To get a code 15 the ecm is seeing a temp of 0 or less. a 160 stat should not cause the code. my quess is a bad sensor or a bad connection at the sensor. I would still replace the stat for the simple reason for I think GM knows more about these cars and where they need to be to be running at then any boby. I still run the 195 stat and never had a problem and with you failing I would waant to get what I can back in spec.
This could also be a problem with too much fuel, driving the HC's up.. you need to get this problem under control..
Old 12-12-2013, 05:47 PM
mcgee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcm4less

Do i have to send my chip back to pcm4less to have them change the thermostat setting when i change back to stock degree thermostat?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:18 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, among other things.

I'm afraid you might be in for a very expensive and frustrating time.

Be prepared to remove the Headers along with the modified exhaust and also, the Catalytic Converters which might be damaged due to the high unburned fuel they were exposed to.

Here in California, Emission testing is No Joke!!!...
Old 12-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Try to focus on what O2 is doing that is the bigger problem. Car is not being driven during testing. Odds are it will get hot enough. Recalibration for higher operating temp on a street car is unlikely unless spark knock is present.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:33 PM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mcgee, have another chip reflashed, to have it run leaner, and you will need to keep a little more heat in the engine, here in Jersey they put the older car on the dyno and simulate a certain speed. When you start playing around changing cams and tunes on the old OBD1 here in Jersey they become a problem to get thru inspection. The OBDII don't go on the rollers, they're check at idle speeds. That's why when my vette turned 25 yrs old I put the historic plates on it.
Randy
Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 PM
mcgee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GKK
Yes, the engine temp is too, cool.
Does a code 14 have to come up before 15?
Old 12-14-2013, 09:48 PM
bassackwards
Pro

Don't worry about a chip until you get the car running on closed loop.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:10 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgee
Does a code 14 have to come up before 15?
No, not necessarily.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:14 PM
mcgee
Intermediate

Default New o2 sensor

Originally Posted by Kevova
Fan switch not really. Thermostat has more to do with operating temperture. The cooling fan switch merely turns fan on, does fan constantly run? OEM fuel system designed for 195-205 operating temp. Since port style fuel injection came out there really isn't and advantage to the super low operating temp. The exception would be an engine that has carburetor or that won't run properly with available fuel and trying to combat pre-ignition/detonation. I would suggest trying 180 long term or swap 195 in to get through I/M test. O2 is the bigger issue, you will not pass if car won't go into closed loop.
Do i have to clear the codes after new o2 sensor?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would disconnect the battery for about ten minutes. This clears all the learned fuel to air mixture/ratio's and any other learned data including error codes. Start the car without pressing the gas pedal and let it idle for five minutes making sure that it get's up to operating temp so it goes to closed loop. Next take it for a ride and ramp up speed wise multiple times getting more aggressive each time. Next hit the highway and hold it at a steady speed for five minutes. By this time it should have learned new mixture rates and idle rates. Now check for codes and see if they are the same or something different. This should be done each time you change any fuel related components/sensors.

The reasoning for this is it will try to run the engine with bad data learned from misleading sensors prior to you changing them. This could cause error codes which are themselves misleading. Clear everything out and give it a chance to relearn with the new part/sensors. Try not to hit the throttle for the first five minutes because that just confuses the data and makes the new learned data questionable which could lead to new errors.

I agree with everyone else. You need to get this into closed loop. You will never pass smog testing without it. Closed loop ties the injector pulse width timing to the O2 sensor readings trying for the perfect fuel mixture. The fact that the car thinks you have perfect fuel mix readings and yet at the same time it's running rich means you have a bad sensor somewhere. Most likely an O2 sensor misreading. You may have to go to a four wire self-heating O2 sensor if it is too far away from the exhaust manifold. They won't read until they reach a certain temperature and therefore won't go into closed loop. Most people with headers have to use them.

Last edited by Klyde; 12-15-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:16 PM
mcgee
Intermediate

Changed out plugs, 4 of them had carbon on them.Changed fan switch and thermostat car runs a little over 200 degrees still getting a dtc 13 any suggestions?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:38 PM
bassackwards
Pro

Changed out plugs, 4 of them had carbon on them.Changed fan switch and thermostat car runs a little over 200 degrees still getting a dtc 13 any suggestions?
DTC 13 is o2 sensor open which means the computer thinks it is not plugged in or not grounded.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:07 PM
mcgee
Intermediate

I think i solved this problem now the service abs/asr lights stay on when i start moving after starting the car any suggestions?
Old 06-07-2014, 11:25 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I'm running a 160 degree stat and a 185 degree fan switch could that be the cause for code 15?
Not necessarily; more likely a bad sensor.

For >12yrs I ran a 160deg t-stat with fan on and easliy passed the OH E-Check in the middle of Feb.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Justified
Le Mans Master

My failed when I took it on a cold day. I have my fans on a switch. Which I turn on so it wouldnt over heat. It failed because it never got hot . The next time I got it hot. And it passed. And has ever since. And I have some motor work done.

Get notified of new replies

To Won't pass emissions in new jersey

Old 06-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

take all that aftermarket crap off and trade me even up for my stock stuff
Old 06-10-2014, 12:27 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Suggestion

I think i solved this problem now the service abs/asr lights stay on when i start moving after starting the car any suggestions?
This may not make sense but it seems to relate to abs lights at times.
Try charging up your battery. Seems if the battery is down or the alternator isn't putting out enough juice it can trigger the SES and/or abs lights.
Had the abs light on mine, charged the battery up and the light went out.

Good luck
Old 06-10-2014, 02:52 PM
fredd1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to clarify a point, on your original post you did mean an HC reading of 252ppm not 2521 no? (the NJ standard is 220ppm).

Quick Reply: Won't pass emissions in new jersey