C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can't figure out where the parasitic drain is...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:58 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteoz
Front drv side of inner wheel well ;where the square box shown in pic below is
( earlier relay version shown , your solid state controller is a black box the size of a cig packet with 2 weatherpak connectors it it]
Thanks Oz, I'll check it out.....WW
Old 12-02-2013, 03:43 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I suggest disconnecting all the wires from the funny stud thing behind the battery. That ought to isolate most of the circuits in the car.

Some circuits get their power from the starter and there is also the ECM power connector. I just became aware that it also supplies power to the MAF relays.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I suggest disconnecting all the wires from the funny stud thing behind the battery. That ought to isolate most of the circuits in the car.

Some circuits get their power from the starter and there is also the ECM power connector. I just became aware that it also supplies power to the MAF relays.
Thanks Cliff, that's a good idea..... As far as MAF relays , I have them, but there not being used... I have a Blowerworks MAF sensor on my car and it doesn't use either of the relays.......WW
Old 12-02-2013, 04:29 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Well, I figured out one of the problems I had....The "new" battery I bought in Febuary of this year had a bad cell in it....This is what was causing the rapid discharge even though the drain is only 90 milliamps...I tried most of the suggestions you guys posted but so far I haven't figured out what's causing the extra 40 milliamps of drain....But I'll keep searching.......WW
Old 12-02-2013, 04:53 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Well, I figured out one of the problems I had....The "new" battery I bought in Febuary of this year had a bad cell in it....This is what was causing the rapid discharge even though the drain is only 90 milliamps...I tried most of the suggestions you guys posted but so far I haven't figured out what's causing the extra 40 milliamps of drain....But I'll keep searching.......WW
Try a different scale on your meter to see if you get concurrent readings. And if you can, get another meter and do the same.

Make sure you really have a 90ma drain. You don’t want to be chasing your tail for nothing.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:49 PM
jadedvette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A lot of times it is a sticking solenoid. Had that problem with my 84'. Sometimes there would be a drain and sometimes not. Hooked up the DVOM and removed the fuzes one at a time, when that didn't help, I started tapping the solenoids until I read a change on the meter. Replaced solenoid no more problem. Good luck, Joe
Old 12-04-2013, 02:50 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

A tenth of an amp seems a bit high, but then again is your meter Calibrated?

A battery maintaining 12+ Volts static is just fine, but if you have a drain pulling the battery down, and below 12 volts then I agree there is a problem..

If you are in fact draining too much power, and all of the fused circuits have been tested you now need to look at the un-fused circuits such as the Alternator Diodes, and the Starter/Solenoid. I've seen excess carbon build up in an starter solenoid drain power..
Old 12-04-2013, 04:17 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by WW7
I don't have any oil leaks, but I do need a new starter.... I have a new starter sitting down in the garage that I have to put on my car ,my original 25 year old starter is acting up..The bendix is having problems with engaging when I turn the key to start the car ... Is the starter active with the key off.?? Could this cause my drain.??...WW
WW,
I doubt very much you will find a problem at the starter. If you still have the .090 Amp parasitic drain, remove the fusible links one at a time. Such a small drain (50-60 miliamps) is most likely a relay coil.
Most of them (fusible links) attach to a stud just behind the battery on my '90. Just be careful and disconnect the ground cable each time you put a socket on the stud. You don't want a piece of art or a crispy socket/extension.

Mick
Tucson

Last edited by QZRBLU; 12-04-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:28 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by desertmike1
If you are in fact draining too much power, and all of the fused circuits have been tested you now need to look at the un-fused circuits such as the Alternator Diodes, and the Starter/Solenoid. I've seen excess carbon build up in an starter solenoid drain power..
Mike , I do have a problem with my starter so I will be replacing it with a new one I have in the garage, Im hoping this will fix it but who knows......Thanks for the reply...WW

Originally Posted by QZRBLU
WW,
I doubt very much you will find a problem at the starter. If you still have the .090 Amp parasitic drain, remove the fusible links one at a time. Such a small drain (50-60 miliamps) is most likely a relay coil.
Most of them (fusible links) attach to a stud just behind the battery on my '90. Just be careful and disconnect the ground cable each time you put a socket on the stud. You don't want a piece of art or a crispy socket/extension....MickTucson
I disconnected the power wire from the battery going to the Stud behind the battery and still have the drain...I did notice today that when I open the passanger door the inside lights don't come on like they do when I open the drivers side door..I pulled all the fuses a few days ago, and that should have been one of them that I pulled but Im going to check it further. Thanks WW.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:06 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

There's a few different procedures that can be used to check for draws and if a person has a higher-ended DMM that will do mA you can check with out removing the fuses with good probes. If the fuse displays a "draw" it's just a check of that circuit required from the "power distribution" schematic. Each fuse has two available test tabs for checking.

An early car with few electronic modules the connection battery post through DMM to cable confirms that there is a suspect draw but there shouldn't be any need to pull fuses to find the draw for a "key off" circumstance.

The draw at the fuse allows one to check only the circuit involved and eliminates the need to beat on the solenoids and relays that don't need to be disturbed.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

You should have one of these connectors on your car (item 2), so here is another place to check for possible excess current draw. It supplies power to the ECM all the time, which maintains the BLMs and error codes in memory:

Now here is where things get interesting. For some reason (those wacky engineers!) that connection also goes to the fuel pump relay and oil pressure switch (see ECM POWER CONN. (NEAR BATTERY)) -- note that this is a corrected version of the diagram in the FSM that has several errors and omissions:

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 12-05-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the same problem. Every two to three days my battery would go dead. I thought the battery no good. So I replaced it with a new battery from Advance Auto, and the same thing happened.

The engine was cutting off a lot too. I tried many things. Finally, I gave up and handed the car over a professional mechanic, and he said the computer next to the engine was turning on certain things after the car was parked. I don't know if that was true.

But after he replaced the computer, I never had the problem again.

Quick Reply: Can't figure out where the parasitic drain is...