C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ideas to quiet down the rear end or driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:44 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fredd1
Yes, I have a noise issue coming from the rear end. I posted this last week but never got any replies:

"My '84-z51, (D36-3.07 gear), is making a high pitched warbly whining noise when i'm applying the throttle but quiets down when I take my foot off the gas. I'm not sure if it's the diff, bearings, u-joints, or what? The pitch and the warble frequency both increase with speed. By "warbly" I mean a constant amplitude or intensity modulation (pulsation). I'm thinking pinion bearing wear but a friend thought it sounded more like u-joints. Any acoustic experts on drive train noises out there?"

Just wondering if the OP had resoved his noise issue and whether just using 80W140 would help mine. Fairly certain it's not coming from the drive shaft or u-joints.
Any noise attributable to the rear axle that I have ever experienced in any car has been a CONSTANT, not warbly sound. The fact that it goes away or becomes quitter when you take your foot off the throttle IS often associated with ring-pinion ratio and setup, but I suspect that the WARBLING means its something different.

Jim G

Quick Reply: Ideas to quiet down the rear end or driveshaft?