C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Head Gasket Swap leads to other repairs

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Supahone
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Head Gasket Swap leads to other repairs

So Im in the middle of breaking down the top half of my 88 L98, to swap out head gaskets. Amongst servicing the heads, FPR, EGR and Injectors etc etc etc... I figured I would do the timing chain as well since the car has 111k. Do I have to drop the oil pan to swap out the timing chain?
thanks
Old 11-15-2013, 03:07 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Yes.

That's not 100% true. It is possible to loosen the pan and drop it down enough in the front to release the timing chain cover. I wouldn't do it that way. You might find this thread of interest:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...placement.html
Old 11-15-2013, 03:45 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Yes.

That's not 100% true. It is possible to loosen the pan and drop it down enough in the front to release the timing chain cover. I wouldn't do it that way. You might find this thread of interest:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...placement.html
- chances of dropping the pan enough to remove the timing chain cover, and getting the oil pan gasket to reseal are pretty slim, if not next to impossible. I wouldn't do it without dropping the pan and replacing the pan gasket with a 1-piece fel-pro.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

It would be worth pulling pan, because debris from headgasket repair can end up in oil pan. The debris sucked up by oil pump and wipes out the bearings shortly after engine is running again....ie..."Man the bottom end wasn't up to your new top end" ain't my fault. With the pan off you can wash all the trash out of the engine. Install heads and wash it down then timing chain oil pan installed last. Also don't use "Buffing pads" on aluminum heads razor blades normally due a fine job.Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Kevova; 11-15-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Supahone
Instructor

Default Make sense...

So never having worked on a corvette..Can I remove the oil pan without having to deal with cross members or the crankshaft getting in the way?Now come to think of it... if I have to pull the oil pan, I might as well service the oil pump and distributor gear shaft....If this keeps up I might as well just rebuild the whole darn engine lololol.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:52 PM
wilcar
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

You might as well swap in a mild cam while you are at it!!
Old 11-15-2013, 05:13 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to do a timing chain go for it but @ only 111K miles it is not a sure thing its needed. However as long as your in there why not
Old 11-16-2013, 09:19 AM
gwbutch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 111K miles, (my opinion), I would change the timing chain, too. If it is not already loose, it probably will be soon.

And I agree, I'd put a better cam in.

Rings and bearings may be a good idea, too.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:24 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Since you are in ther doing the timing chain, you might as well throw in a new cam too
Old 11-16-2013, 12:09 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If you are just doing head gaskets and not doing a valve job just leave the chain go.

If you freshen up the heads then I would do the chain, since it would put more stress on the old chain.

Be happy put the top end back together and leave the chain for another time, it's not like you have to take the heads off again to do a chain if needed.

However If you do decide to drop the pan, put in a new oil pump, when I drop any oil pan I always put in a high volume pump.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:26 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Supahone
So never having worked on a corvette..Can I remove the oil pan without having to deal with cross members or the crankshaft getting in the way?Now come to think of it... if I have to pull the oil pan, I might as well service the oil pump and distributor gear shaft....If this keeps up I might as well just rebuild the whole darn engine lololol.
When I replaced my timing chain (as linked in an earlier post), the engine just happened to be on #1 TDC. I was able to remove the pan without rotating the engine. See the linked post for the things I removed and the things the FSM said to remove but I didn't need to.

I replaced my timing chain "since I was in there", but I have seen info that said it can easily go 200K miles without replacement. Mine seemed to have some slack in it when I checked it, but the new one was the same.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 11-17-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:40 AM
NuckinFutz93
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So as I was removing the headers to get to the lower head bolts....; of the six bolts that hold the down pipes, 4 snapped and 2 came out of the header itself instead of the nut. Which means I might as well upgrade the headers since Im doing the y pipe as the pre cats are cooked...and BTW Looking at the oil pan its all dinged up a sorta flexes to the touch....which means I might as well change to an oem pan when I swap to the high volume pump in order to do the timing chain service and might as well do the cam and rollers since I'm doing the timing chain...since I removed the front accessories to swap out a new water pump since Im doing the Intake, fpr, stat, egr, Iac, and tps and don't forget head gaskets and sending the heads to be squared....cool thing is all can be done for under a $1,500. Gotta love GM products!
Since you are doing all of that, might as well throw a set of rings and bearing in it and have a new engine. It should only run you about 500.00 more. Not have to mess with it for another 111k miles.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:52 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Man these cars are dangerous "while I am in there" cars. That $300 head gasket replacement and valve job escalates quick, doesnt it? I was broke (luckily??) when I did mine so the only extra thing I did was replace the leaking water pump.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Not big on High Volume oil pumps, many time they can pump pan dry when playing a little hard. Oil can't return to pan fast enough....sometimes leading to "Rattle, Rattle, Boom" Standard volume high pressure pump tends to do better with a stock oil pan. Larger capacity oil pan should be used with high volume pump.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:55 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you just have a bad head gasket and want to save money, I would just stick to the head gasket change. If you have extra money just pull the engine out and do it all at once. A nice cam, some mild porting, new rings, bearings, and a chain. Atleast then you know what you have.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:18 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
Not big on High Volume oil pumps, many time they can pump pan dry when playing a little hard. Oil can't return to pan fast enough....sometimes leading to "Rattle, Rattle, Boom" Standard volume high pressure pump tends to do better with a stock oil pan. Larger capacity oil pan should be used with high volume pump.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Supahone
Instructor

Default Winters coming.

So I too have been figuring whats best to do. So Ive concluded I will do the head gasket swap, Water pump, timing chain, and oil pump. I'm going to hold off on the cam and lifter swap. But I will also do the customary top end services spark, IAC FPR TPS etc. Funny thing is I can get a stock complete L98 for about $300 which is the cost for an head gasket kit and having the heads squared. Looking down the road if the engine in the car goes Id rather do a complete rebuild on a donor engine and start fresh. With the cold months coming up, Im going to spend the winter cleaning parts and gathering new parts. Come spring start putting it all back together. Truth be told Im loving every minute of it!

Get notified of new replies

To Head Gasket Swap leads to other repairs

Old 11-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Supahone
Instructor

Default 88 head gasket repair update and cleaning question

While I was removing the two rear lower bolts to both heads on my L98 I noticed that water poured out of the holes from which the bolts came out of. Is this normal for a blown head gasket? It was clear that the right side head gasket was toast and the heads nor block didn't show any signs of being cracked. I'm sending the heads to the machine shop. My question is this though...How best to clean the block so that the resurfaced heads will have a clean block to match up with?
Old 11-30-2013, 01:03 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I think while you're in there you should put a mini ram, cam, headers, and performance heads. Get rid of those old ones. If you pull off the oil pan you might as well do a 383 stroker. You have everything apart already!
Old 11-30-2013, 01:05 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

While I was removing the two rear lower bolts to both heads on my L98 I noticed that water poured out of the holes from which the bolts came out of. Is this normal for a blown head gasket? It was clear that the right side head gasket was toast and the heads nor block didn't show any signs of being cracked. I'm sending the heads to the machine shop. My question is this though...How best to clean the block so that the resurfaced heads will have a clean block to match up with?
Razor blade, cookie.... Go easy with them and take your time. I would use a cookie on a soft setting. Makes it easier. Make sure you clean out your cylinders real good afterwards.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Swap leads to other repairs