C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Head Gasket Swap leads to other repairs

Old 04-24-2014, 11:57 PM
Supahone
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The cold start injector is operated by the cold start injector thermo switch, which is located on the front of the intake manifold. It has a connector that looks the same as the fuel injector connectors.

It gets its power from the ignition switch, but only when it is in the CRANK position. It has a thermal element inside it that heats up and times out after 8 seconds. It will also not work if the coolant temperature is over 95°F.

Because of all this, it's kind of hard to measure voltages unless you have somebody to turn the key while you're making measurements.

You can measure the resistance of the cold start injector. It should measure around 5 ohms. The thermo switch will measure close to zero ohms when it's cold and very high when it's open (it is a switch, so it's either open or closed).
Thanks for the info much appreciated. Will give results soon.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:11 PM
Supahone
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Supahone
Thanks for the info much appreciated. Will give results soon.
Sorry for getting back with the results... Turned out the ninth injector was within specs. It was just dirty from sitting for so long. After a few bottles of fuel injector cleaner along with a couple of tanks of high octane fuel that cold start up issues was resolved. I also just sorted out that mystery coolant leak. It was a tiny pin hole leak that came from the hard oil line cooler return that only sprayed a thin bead of coolant once the car was at temperature that landed directly on my headers and would evaporate. Ended up just changing all of my worn coolant lines and she now runs around 187* on the highway and rarely goes over 210 in city traffic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head Gasket Swap leads to other repairs