C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Head Gasket Swap leads to other repairs

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 03:35 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Supahone
While I was removing the two rear lower bolts to both heads on my L98 I noticed that water poured out of the holes from which the bolts came out of.
That's normal. The head bolts go into the water jackets. You need to put sealer on the head bolt threads when you install them. I used Aviation Permatex on mine.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:44 AM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE=Supahone;1585555656]While I was removing the two rear lower bolts to both heads on my L98 I noticed that water poured out of the holes from which the bolts came out of.QUOTE]

Did you drain the cooling system?
Old 12-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Supahone
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did drain the system, but clearly within the block was remnants of antifreeze. Thanks for the tip regarding the sealant. Do any of those gasket removing sprays work? How best do I prepare the exposed pistons being that the car wont be put back together till the weather gets warmer here in the northeast....would mystery oil help?
Old 12-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Most gasket removers work, not necessary scotch brite and razor blades work ok. wheel bearing grease does good for long term delays.WD40 would help displace coolant before lubing cylinders while waiting for better weather. plastic with whatever your have to hold it down over short block.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Supahone
Instructor

Default Update

So Im about two weeks away from starting my head gasket repair on my 1988. The last few parts I need to get is the Head gasket set and replacement bolts for the plenum and intake. Any vendors that have those bolts can you please forward them to me. Also Autozone has a head gasket set #Part Number: felpro HS7733PT-9 has all the the gaskets I need.. but should I also get their heavier duty head gasket felpro 501SD?
thanks for your help.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Supahone
Instructor

Default Head Back From Machine shop.

Just got my zz4 heads back from R&L Engines in NH in record time shipped back to my home in three days. They welded on more aluminum then decked the heads. Along those lines...
As I prepare to reinstall these heads should I add any pre gasket material on the block if Im using the Blue Felpro gasket that comes in their complete kit?
Attached Images   
Old 03-17-2014, 12:35 AM
Supahone
Instructor

Default Update.

This past Friday I completed the head gasket and overall tune up on my 88 l98. It took me a week of my vacation to work on it taking my time and I enjoyed every moment of it. It's been a long six months of research and gathering of parts. Actually it's been a perfect way to learn about this car. I chose to run 22lbs injectors. All that is left is to time and set the tps. On that note once I disconnect the signal to the ECM what's the best timing for this car.? Thus far I've gathered its 8degrees? Thanks to all who helped to sort out the cars multiple issues these past months
Old 03-17-2014, 02:03 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by gwbutch
And I agree, I'd put a better cam in.

ANd new valve seals!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:04 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

On that note once I disconnect the signal to the ECM what's the best timing for this car.? Thus far I've gathered its 8degrees? Thanks to all who helped to sort out the cars multiple issues these past months
The ECM has the mechanical advance parameter set to 6° in the tune. It subtracts 6° when it calculates the total advance. If you set the base advance to higher than 6° then the ECM could set the advance high enough to cause pinging.

That said, I have heard of many people setting their base advance to 8° or 10° and have never heard of any problems (that doesn't mean there haven't been any...).
Old 03-17-2014, 06:56 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wilcar
You might as well swap in a mild cam while you are at it!!
Oh boy !!! Lol
Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I would replace/buy new, piston return springs in/for the combustion chamber.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:39 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

cam changes fall into one of two categories:
(1) do I want to ? or
(2) do I need to ?

pull your lifters one by one, if the rollers show ANY evidence of wear or damage, then that cam lobe is shot and you fall into category (2);

every thing else, and you're in category (1);

as to timing chains, I can guarantee that the original pin and link chain has stretched and it can be replaced with another similar chain, or for a few bucks more can be replaced with a double "true roller" style of chain which is a substantial upgrade over the OEM chain.

removing the timing chain cover with out disturbing the pan gasket is possible IF, once the damper is removed from the crankshaft, the crankshaft seal is then removed; with the seal removed from the timing chain cover, there will be enough clearance to lift the timing chain cover up and over the pan gasket; reassembly is just the opposite; install the timing chain cover (use some rtv in the bottom channel where it contacts the pan gasket) without the seal; once the cover is installed, THEN install the seal.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:49 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I would replace/buy new, piston return springs in/for the combustion chamber.
What?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:36 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am also replacing my head gaskets after doing head work on my 1988 Vette. I have heard that the blue Felpro is the gasket I want -- could someone provide a part number as I have seen more than one Felpro set listed for my L98. Any suggestions on replacing the head bolts, i.e., whether to do so and/or vendors? Finally, any other comments on reassembly. After all this effort taking it apart and then putting it back together, I don't want to overlook something like using the wrong sealer, etc. BTW, I have the FSM but realize that sealers, etc. have changed a lot in 25 years. Thanks for any words of wisdom!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:38 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Originally Posted by cuengineer
I am also replacing my head gaskets after doing head work on my 1988 Vette. I have heard that the blue Felpro is the gasket I want -- could someone provide a part number as I have seen more than one Felpro set listed for my L98. Any suggestions on replacing the head bolts, i.e., whether to do so and/or vendors? Finally, any other comments on reassembly. After all this effort taking it apart and then putting it back together, I don't want to overlook something like using the wrong sealer, etc. BTW, I have the FSM but realize that sealers, etc. have changed a lot in 25 years. Thanks for any words of wisdom!
I can't comment on head gaskets because I have cast iron heads, so my situation is different.

The FSM does not mention replacing the bolts, so I didn't see any reason to do that. Maybe new ones come with sealer on the threads? Mine were in good shape, but I suppose it's possible that they might be rusted if the coolant leaked into the bolt area.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:59 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

You've got the "while I'm at it" disease.. seek help immediately!!!.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 AM
Supahone
Instructor

Default First drive.

Drove my 88 for the first time and was well worth the wait. Noticed though that when cold takes four key turns before it starts then once warmed up only takes one. Any ideas to improve this?
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Head Gasket Swap leads to other repairs

Old 04-23-2014, 03:56 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Noticed though that when cold takes four key turns before it starts then once warmed up only takes one. Any ideas to improve this?
Is the cold-start injector firing?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Supahone
Instructor

Default Cold start injector

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Is the cold-start injector firing?
Would I test the cold start injector the same way I would test a normal injector pulse?
Old 04-24-2014, 02:30 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Would I test the cold start injector the same way I would test a normal injector pulse?
The cold start injector is operated by the cold start injector thermo switch, which is located on the front of the intake manifold. It has a connector that looks the same as the fuel injector connectors.

It gets its power from the ignition switch, but only when it is in the CRANK position. It has a thermal element inside it that heats up and times out after 8 seconds. It will also not work if the coolant temperature is over 95°F.

Because of all this, it's kind of hard to measure voltages unless you have somebody to turn the key while you're making measurements.

You can measure the resistance of the cold start injector. It should measure around 5 ohms. The thermo switch will measure close to zero ohms when it's cold and very high when it's open (it is a switch, so it's either open or closed).

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Swap leads to other repairs