C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

DESPERATE, keys locked in '85 downtown... need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 03:00 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default DESPERATE, keys locked in '85 downtown... need help.

Problem solved.. see bottom post.

DOH! :cry :sad: Was on my way out to party, now my friend is walking, and I'm at home. If I find the Chevy dealership in the morning, then I'll get one cut with my VIN#, if I can convince them I own the car. (I'm in the paperwork process of registering/smogging it.) Can they do this right away? or do I have to wait for a day or so? Would it be better to call a locksmith and break in? If I can get a key cut early tomorrow It seems easy from what the other threads say. I would like to avoid the entire scene, and you know, dealing with people calling the police on me while I stick coathangers in my Corvette window late at night in a parking lot... Tonight, I'm going to drive down there and sleep in my other car, so I can keep an eye on it. Any help?

[Modified by CentralCoaster, 1:40 AM 7/6/2002]
Old 07-06-2002, 03:38 AM
Dan Parker '96
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: DESPERATE, keys locked in '85 downtown... need help. (CentralCoaster)

Bend the window out, prop it with something, use a wire hanger to hit the power locks. Takes about 10 minutes the first time :). Worked when I accidentally locked 'em in my '96. No alarms.

Note: the reason for prying out and propping the window is so you won't damage your door seals. The upper trailing edge of the window can be pried out an inch, no sweat.

Tools needed to break in with zero damage: flat blade screwdriver, a rag (wrap it around the screwdriver) and a properly tuned wire coat hanger.

[Modified by Dan Parker '96, 8:34 PM 7/7/2002]
Old 07-06-2002, 03:43 AM
myblack864+3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DESPERATE, keys locked in '85 downtown... need help. (CentralCoaster)

Sorry you had the bad luck I went to AAA and they will make members a plastic door key for free. It looks like a credit card and the emergency key folds out to open the door. This won't help this time, but next time your date would think you were real cool when you whipped out your credit card key and got back on track.

Prying the window can be done but the AAA guy or most auto locksmiths have a flat tool that will pop the door without damaging the seals.

Good Luck

[Modified by myblack864+3, 7:49 AM 7/6/2002]

[Modified by myblack864+3, 7:51 AM 7/6/2002]
Old 07-06-2002, 03:51 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Default Re: DESPERATE, keys locked in '85 downtown... need help. (myblack864+3)

THanks,, i'll try breaking in. Hopefully noone will call the police on me.. It is a definite possibility,... well lit location! Maybe I should call the police first? The Chevy service depts don't seem to be open on weekends.

And for the I-told-you-so's, I just bought it.. and the previous owner couldn't find the spare key. (I have three backup keys for my other car, because I know I'm forgetful.) Was sorta putting off gettin another key, cause I wanted to get it registered first.. so it wouldn't be a hassle at the Chevy dealership.
Old 07-06-2002, 04:50 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call a locksmith. It will be cheaper than replacing window seals that can get damaged trying to pry the window.

The other option is a long slim flat piece of metal with a section notched out on the side near the bottom. If you slide it in between the glass and the window seal along the top of the door near the back of the door you should be able to hook it to the door lock and open the door. This is what tow trucks, locksmiths and car thieves use.
Old 07-06-2002, 05:12 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: DESPERATE, keys locked in '85 downtown... need help. (AquaMetallic94LT1)

It will be cheaper than replacing window seals that can get damaged trying to pry the window.
Don't use a coathanger. I did, I wrecked the weatherstripping on the top. Another thought was to find an extremely long pole, pull back the glass and try to push the button on the opposite side door.
Am quite sure Rancho Chev parts dept. doesn't open Saturdays. I know Home Motors doesn't. God forbid they open the parts counter on a saturday huh?
Does your ignition key have the VATS chip? Those blanks are about $40 here in town. The locksmith just reads the resistance on it and finds a blank with the same resistance chip.

[Modified by 89 Paul in Cal, 1:14 AM 7/6/2002]
Old 07-06-2002, 05:40 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Default All's Well

Problem solved! Funny story, at least from your point of view.

Catch 22...Only set of keys locked in car. Don't own the car yet, can't show proof of ownership to police if they show up when breaking in. Can't get key cut to get in, don't have proof of ownership.

I was worried about just leaving it there, cause two weeks ago my other car was broken into. Of course, Friday night, nobody's home. I called my boss at work, he works till midnight, but won't answer the phone, cause he doesn't want to get stuck late doing more work. Finally, after three calls, he picks up. Ok next, picture a white kid, and mexican guy (my boss) sticking coathangers into black Corvette in front of Burger King past midnight. People walk by, nobody even looks at us. Burger King guy cleaning inside... doesn't care. In the midst of it, a tall black guy walks up.
"You lock your keys in there? Need some help?"
"No, I'm alright, I've almost got it."
"Those Corvette's are hard to break into."
After I hear this, I'm sorta worried. Will he take my car after I break into it for him? "Dunno, I've never stolen one before. Have you?"
"Is that an 85?"
"Yeah, how'd you know?"
"I've got one in my driveway, up on blocks." (What are the chances?)

Finally, I get it, and the alarm goes off.

Burger King manager leaves, walks right past us. Doesn't even glance over, as horn is blowing repeatedly. I finally get home, and realize I've locked my other car keys and house keys in my Ford, parked next to where the Corvette was. I break into the house, get spare key for Ford, walk back and fetch my Ford. And my night is done. My roommate is just walking in the door. He won't talk to me. He must have had a lonely night at the bar.

I learned a few lessons tonight.

1. Steal fancy cars in broad daylight. In the owner's driveway if possible. That way nobody will care. Heck, you could even wear a shirt that says "I served 5 years for Grand Theft Auto, and all I got was this stupid t-shirt."

2. Whenever you screw up and need help, call the same person. That way all your friends won't think you're an idiot, just one.

3. Never put off getting a spare key.

4. Never loan your keys to me!
Old 07-06-2002, 07:36 AM
SlowJoe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: All's Well (CentralCoaster)

1. Steal fancy cars in broad daylight. In the owner's driveway if possible. That way nobody will care. Heck, you could even wear a shirt that says "I served 5 years for Grand Theft Auto, and all I got was this stupid t-shirt."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-06-2002, 08:38 AM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: All's Well (SlowJoe)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Old 07-06-2002, 09:45 AM
ukchevybuilder
Advanced

Default Re: All's Well (FASGLAS)

This reminds me of a similar thing happening to me on a visit to the US

I actually think US cars are very good ( much better than many Europeans or indeed Americans think ) but the power locking approach seems weird to me. In European cars the central locking is done with the key in the drivers door so you can't lock the keys inside. Why US auto companies don't do the same I can't ever figure out.

We locked ourselves out of the hire car , a Taurus, right outside Crower cams in Chula Vista CA . I have to give a boost to Crower as they were great. They found a guy from their machine shop with a "slim jim" who actually couldn't pop the lock but did manage to push down the window power button and rescue us. He was even reluctant to take the $20 thank you I gave him.

So US auto makers 0
US speed shop workers 1!
Old 07-06-2002, 10:05 AM
ZRWANABE
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: All's Well (ukchevybuilder)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To DESPERATE, keys locked in '85 downtown... need help.

Quick Reply: DESPERATE, keys locked in '85 downtown... need help.