C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need Tips: Replacing all rubber hoses, fuel line, coolant hoses under hood...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:58 AM
SUPERCHARGE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Tips: Replacing all rubber hoses, fuel line, coolant hoses under hood...

Hey guys, I have a BAD job ahead of me. Not too long ago, I had to replace some heater core hoses under the hood that weren't so hard to reach. Now A few weeks ago, a rubber fuel line opened up in an impossible to reach, hardly possible to even see area right under the AC...

The hoses aren't that old, but the engine was rebuilt before I purchased the car and the retard who did the re-installation under the hood, clearly replaced the hosing with cheap deteriorating crap. Present clamps are those cheap screw driver type hoses that eat up the rubber... and the worst is that most of the hoses, including the fuel line that opened up, are either rubbing against each or against some other random component.

So... A) can someone tell me, what is the most durable hosing and best clamps i can buy for this summer car?

B) Looks like I have A LOT to take apart to get to these hoses. Anyone who has ever done this job have some nice available tips?

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:32 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

What year is the car? I would guess an early C4 based on the fuel line being under the AC compressor.

You might have to take the AC compressor out of its bracket. The metal fuel lines that go up to the fuel rail go through the bracket.

I would go with the GM parts (if you can get them), but that's me. The fuel pressure is fairly low so you might be OK fabricating your own setup.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:36 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

If it's the "T" that runs to the oil cooler (assuming you even have one on your 86), that piece seemed impossible to locate. And, yes, it's hard to get to. Maybe that's why it was reused...or even skipped. IIRC, it went from one size to another. I spent a lot of time just trying to find something for that job.

I don't think the hose type is a big deal, but you might have to ask to go to the hose aisle and get creative.

I have no problem with the normal spiraling screw-type hose clamp most often sold in your local auto-parts stores. Must better than those weird OEM clamps that were invented by the 70-80's pot-smokers at GM.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:35 AM
SUPERCHARGE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
If it's the "T" that runs to the oil cooler (assuming you even have one on your 86), that piece seemed impossible to locate. And, yes, it's hard to get to. Maybe that's why it was reused...or even skipped. IIRC, it went from one size to another. I spent a lot of time just trying to find something for that job.

I don't think the hose type is a big deal, but you might have to ask to go to the hose aisle and get creative.

I have no problem with the normal spiraling screw-type hose clamp most often sold in your local auto-parts stores. Must better than those weird OEM clamps that were invented by the 70-80's pot-smokers at GM.
Can't stand those clamps dude... These are the hose Clamps I tend to use, they are super tight and do no damage to the hose long term, nor from tightening. Wasn't sure if anyone had any better suggestions:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=HOSE+...hp%3B640%3B480

I was also thinking braided steel hoses. Since i'll be doing a tough job, might as well make it durable. My car is a laster. I'm not very experienced with these vettes, so wasn't sure if someone has been a bit more creative or knows of a longer lasting product.
Wasn't sure i
Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

To the OP, from your description it sounds like someone used regular fuel hose and worm clamps. This would be ok for your lawn mower but is downright dangerous on a fuel injected car - as you have experienced first hand. If you can find the oem stuff it'd be the easiest route, safe and correct fit. But we know with our aging C4s oem isn't always possible. Bottom line is to make sure to use fuel injection hose and clamps.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:17 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

I would think you could source silicon "fuel injection" rated hose in the vicinity, Parker has E85 specific product I believe. There should be Parker jobbers in the vicinity, for clamps where needed I like Isuzu truck miniature clamps, a little steep on the price but they're constant torque, compact and professional in appearance.

Here's a couple GM numbers that a dealer who does truck service should have on the shelf to check out the construction, 97326928 and 97326927 - an Isuzu dealer can convert those numbers to theirs also. The Isuzu product is diameter specific and before ordering you should have your hoses in hand. If you liked the Isuzu style clamp you could order the correct sizes for all of your needs. You need a parts guy with some patience.

For steel fuel lines the Saginaw sealing ring flare can be duplicated in 5/16 and 3/8 with flaring tools that are available. Smaller could be a nuisance.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:34 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN

Has happened in a while, but I totally misread the OP. So, ignore my response. I thought you were talking about water hoses and the "T" under the A/C compressor. I was reading so fast, all I saw was "heater hose" and "under A/C".

Nothing I said relates to fuel lines!

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 10-31-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were tearing into that job I would invest in the proper fittings and braided hose. They are easy to work with, look great, and won't leak or deteriorate as quickly. Just my .02.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Tips: Replacing all rubber hoses, fuel line, coolant hoses under hood...

Quick Reply: Need Tips: Replacing all rubber hoses, fuel line, coolant hoses under hood...