Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine Sponsored by
J&D Corvette

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
sloboatnova

Default C4 IRS questions

Hi, I'm Brent.

I've searched the forum, but didnt find answers to my questions.

I'm looking to buy a complete C4 IRS to put under a F-body camaro. I looked at one last night from an 84, but found stress cracks in the diff housing. I believe it to be a D36.

Which years have a diff housing that will swap over? I don't want to buy the wrong one if I go this route.

Also, being as the cracks werent really bad, should I consider trying to weld them up? My buddy is a profesional welder with access to good equipment. The cracks were towards the top on the driver side where the webbing ends. Is this a common problem.

Last edited by sloboatnova; 10-24-2013 at 04:57 PM.
sloboatnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
sloboatnova

Moderator, I accidentally posted this in the C5 section. Please move it to the C4 technical. Sorry for the trouble.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member

You could use any year but if you're looking to buy everything from one car I believe I might be shopping for newer '89+ parts. Anything '87 or earlier will have shoe in rotor e-brake and if you stuck with '89+ they have an actuator in the rear caliper for the e-brake.

If you've a high horsepower/torque engine you may want to make sure you're shopping for a D44 that's more substantial. An 8 1/2" ring gear vs 7 1/2" stuff. You can mount your IRS anyway you like and hang the knuckle/spindles where appropriate for what ever wheel/tire combination you wish and adjust the width with the half-shafts.

Do you have a car that you're using for a "mule" or are you just doing a from scratch build?

I would think you would want to avoid an '84 - the exception being if you stumbled upon an '84 with a 3.31 axle ratio and it would be quite valuable. There's not many out there so I wouldn't get excited. Do you know if it was out of an auto or a manual trans car?
WVZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
COPO
CF Senior Member

I'm going to have one for sale in a couple months. It's a one off rear I built. Has Dana 44 that's rebuilt. I can supply brackets to weld in your car.
COPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
sloboatnova

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post
I'm going to have one for sale in a couple months. It's a one off rear I built. Has Dana 44 that's rebuilt. I can supply brackets to weld in your car.
Ok. When the time comes shoot me a price and hopefully it will be within my budget.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
sloboatnova

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
You could use any year but if you're looking to buy everything from one car I believe I might be shopping for newer '89+ parts. Anything '87 or earlier will have shoe in rotor e-brake and if you stuck with '89+ they have an actuator in the rear caliper for the e-brake.

If you've a high horsepower/torque engine you may want to make sure you're shopping for a D44 that's more substantial. An 8 1/2" ring gear vs 7 1/2" stuff. You can mount your IRS anyway you like and hang the knuckle/spindles where appropriate for what ever wheel/tire combination you wish and adjust the width with the half-shafts.

Do you have a car that you're using for a "mule" or are you just doing a from scratch build?

I would think you would want to avoid an '84 - the exception being if you stumbled upon an '84 with a 3.31 axle ratio and it would be quite valuable. There's not many out there so I wouldn't get excited. Do you know if it was out of an auto or a manual trans car?
Not sure what you mean by mule, but we are putting it in a 75 camaro.

What is the advantage of the caliper with the e-brake verses the shoe in rotor e-brake? Will these have different track widths?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
rklessdriver
CF Senior Member

All 84's have the D36 rear diff. A d36 is IMO not worth the time, effort or $$$ to weld up if cracked. It is not common for them to crack unless they have been hit hard in a wreck... side impack collision on the wheel usually pushed the wheel/hub/halfshaft into the side of the housing and can crack them in that area or break the C-Beam mounting pad.

All the diff housings from all years are pretty much identical and interchange 100%.

Like WVZR1 said the later model stuff has a much better parking brake system.

The early model cars 84-88 also have a narrower track width which could be a good or bad thing depending on what wheel offset you want to use.
Will
rklessdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboatnova View Post
Not sure what you mean by mule, but we are putting it in a 75 camaro.

What is the advantage of the caliper with the e-brake verses the shoe in rotor e-brake? Will these have different track widths?
Mule would be a car of the same type that the same or similar has been attempted on and your effort is to improve on it!

I don't believe you need to be concerned with the track width. I believe you'll hang three components, the differential, the right/left knuckle/spindle combinations where your wheel/tire combination fits into the body and THEN you will have half-shafts built/shortened to connect the three components. I would think in the long run the later caliper/e-brake combination would be to your benefit. Many more sources for replacement parts.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
sloboatnova

Quote:
Mule would be a car of the same type that the same or similar has been attempted on and your effort is to improve on it!

I don't believe you need to be concerned with the track width. I believe you'll hang three components, the differential, the right/left knuckle/spindle combinations where your wheel/tire combination fits into the body and THEN you will have half-shafts built/shortened to connect the three components. I would think in the long run the later caliper/e-brake combination would be to your benefit. Many more sources for replacement parts.
I'm also thinking the caliper e-brake will be better for playing. You know. To spin the rear end around and drift.

We don't have wheels yet so I could buy them at what ever offset needed.

Guess I need to keep looking for an 89 or newer d44. I'm in no big hurry.

thanks for the advice yall.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboatnova View Post
I'm also thinking the caliper e-brake will be better for playing. You know. To spin the rear end around and drift.

We don't have wheels yet so I could buy them at what ever offset needed.

Guess I need to keep looking for an 89 or newer d44. I'm in no big hurry.

thanks for the advice yall.
Where are you located? I have enough NOS and new parts to put together a D44 with either a 3.54, 3.73 or a 4.10 ratio. All new either GM or Dana/Spicer. I also have the left and right knuckle packages.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
sloboatnova

Quote:
Where are you located? I have enough NOS and new parts to put together a D44 with either a 3.54, 3.73 or a 4.10 ratio. All new either GM or Dana/Spicer. I also have the left and right knuckle packages.
NOS is probably way more expensive than finding a used rear end, but feel free to put some prices together. I haven't gotten as far as deciding what gears to run. We are going to build a de-stroked hi rev engine.

I'm in Tulsa, ok 74115.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:38 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page C4 IRS questions