C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Greasy film inside windows?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Agent13
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Greasy film inside windows?

I am having a hell of a time trying to figure this thing out. Anyone ever have a problem with all of the windows becoming greasy on the inside?

I have replaced the heater core twice and still have this problem...

What else can it be?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:36 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 177 Posts

What product are you using to dress the seats and dash?

The moisture from a leaking heater core may take time to
dissipate (?).

Some info.... may help:

http://askville.amazon.com/clean-ins...uestId=5081611
Old 10-23-2013, 09:04 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another car i had needed the carpets cleaned. I got the carpets clean cant remember what i used. It took weeks before i figured out that it was the cause of a film on the inside of car windows. I opened all windows during the day for a few days cleaned the windows and that took care of it.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:31 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had that issue before....drives me NUCKIN FUTTY some mornings when the dampness is still in the air and everything has that film that WON"T go away!
|
I have to keep the "wipe thing" ya know, the infomercial long handled thing to wipe the glass like a mop handle...little green pads that slip on.., anyway it works great BUT the fact that I have to use it constantly makes me crazy.

It has something to do with the relative humidity and some fumes inside the cabin. It HAS to be vinyl dressing. I have mistakenly sprayed a silicone product on the glass and it took months to clean off...
Also had a can of fix-a flat explode in the back a few yrs ago.....

This seems to be related to the humidity. It happens in the mornings and later when it warms up its usually gone. At night it will become a haze so opaque that I can't see to drive.
Got to be the armour-all.
How to remove the stuff is the question. I've tried alcohol, vinegar, and all brands of window cleaner. STILL happens.......
Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check underneath the passenger side carpet for moisture.

Water could be backing up from a clogged drain tube on the passenger side vent area. If the water can't drain, it backs up into the Evaporator case and down into the passenger side foot well.

You'll see the rubber drain tube behind the washer fluid bottle. The opening is near the windshield vent area (I can't remember exactly, since it's been awhile).

There are actually Three Drain Tubes, two on the drivers side and one on the passenger side.

Last edited by GKK; 10-23-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 PM
carguy604
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had this happen in a car where the heater core was bypassed - so I know it's not related to the coolant because the carpets and underlay were brand-new after the heater got bypassed. It's gotta be something related to the vinyl dressings that we're using. Even more annoying - this same car gets all greasy on the vinyl door panels when it sits for a while. I've tried every detergent known to mankind and still it comes back after a while. Makes me wanna go AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Try switching to Adams products.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:12 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Are you a smoker?
Old 10-26-2013, 12:26 AM
Agent13
Instructor

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Originally Posted by seabright
What product are you using to dress the seats and dash?

The moisture from a leaking heater core may take time to
dissipate (?).

Some info.... may help:

http://askville.amazon.com/clean-ins...uestId=5081611
It seems that all the windows grease up evenly. For the last couple years I have used nothing at all. I've been far too busy to give the car anything but a rare quick vacuum, basic wash and plenty of miles. Before that I used F21 on the dash.

Originally Posted by davewhtt
Another car i had needed the carpets cleaned. I got the carpets clean cant remember what i used. It took weeks before i figured out that it was the cause of a film on the inside of car windows. I opened all windows during the day for a few days cleaned the windows and that took care of it.
Will give this a shot.

Originally Posted by leesvet
I've had that issue before....drives me NUCKIN FUTTY some mornings when the dampness is still in the air and everything has that film that WON"T go away!
|
I have to keep the "wipe thing" ya know, the infomercial long handled thing to wipe the glass like a mop handle...little green pads that slip on.., anyway it works great BUT the fact that I have to use it constantly makes me crazy.

It has something to do with the relative humidity and some fumes inside the cabin. It HAS to be vinyl dressing. I have mistakenly sprayed a silicone product on the glass and it took months to clean off...
Also had a can of fix-a flat explode in the back a few yrs ago.....

This seems to be related to the humidity. It happens in the mornings and later when it warms up its usually gone. At night it will become a haze so opaque that I can't see to drive.
Got to be the armour-all.
How to remove the stuff is the question. I've tried alcohol, vinegar, and all brands of window cleaner. STILL happens.......
Haven't used any products on the interior for quite awhile. I do have a fire extinguisher in the car if that can affect it?

Originally Posted by GKK
Check underneath the passenger side carpet for moisture.

Water could be backing up from a clogged drain tube on the passenger side vent area. If the water can't drain, it backs up into the Evaporator case and down into the passenger side foot well.

You'll see the rubber drain tube behind the washer fluid bottle. The opening is near the windshield vent area (I can't remember exactly, since it's been awhile).

There are actually Three Drain Tubes, two on the drivers side and one on the passenger side.

Thanks I'll give it a shot.

Originally Posted by carguy604
I've had this happen in a car where the heater core was bypassed - so I know it's not related to the coolant because the carpets and underlay were brand-new after the heater got bypassed. It's gotta be something related to the vinyl dressings that we're using. Even more annoying - this same car gets all greasy on the vinyl door panels when it sits for a while. I've tried every detergent known to mankind and still it comes back after a while. Makes me wanna go AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
I'll probably try bypassing the core next just to see what happens.

Originally Posted by PLRX
Are you a smoker?
No!

Last edited by Agent13; 10-26-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:07 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You will find this problem on any car, it will happen more out in the sun, it is mainly the fumes coming off the plastics inside the car.

Go to a new car lot and look at cars that haven't been prepped those cars have the same smoky windows, because the plastics inside the car are fresh and giving off more fumes.

Crack a window, leave an air space this will cut down on the problem.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:14 PM
JIMBO7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default It's called outgassing!

Plastics do it. Adhesives do it for years. My 88 is full of plastics and adhesives. Just the way it is guys. I just clean the windows when it bugs me! Seems the vette is the worst of all my cars.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:35 AM
sshort67
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default "It's called outgasing"

What do you use to clean the haze? My 64 with tinted glass must still be offgasing, leather seats, fairly new dash, darn phalates (from chemist friend). I can not find anything that cuts it or slows its forming on the windshield. Rain drops and horizon sun make me wish I had radar. I am ashamed to list the products I have tried. Forgot carpet adhesive that is just a couple years old.

Last edited by sshort67; 10-27-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: adding more facts
Old 10-27-2013, 01:03 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I use alcohol and water (50/50 mix of 70% rubbing alcohol) the most important thing is the cloth you use, get a nice drying old white hand towel and wash it in Joy dish soap. ( don't buy 90% alcohol if you get it near plastic it will ruin some plastics)

Use very little dish detergent, rinse the hell out of it, then let it air/sun dry, if you put it in the dryer it's easy to pick up fabric softener out of the dryer.

Fabric softener will give you a haze just like the plastic gassing.

The glass in the new cars is even worse to clean, it seems like it's not smooth anymore, if I use my car microfiber towels it leaves bits of towel all over, stuck to the glass, no matter what cleaner I use.

Last edited by bob guzzy; 10-27-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:32 PM
bar20
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like outgassing from the vinyl in the car. Not much you can do about it except keep cleaning with a good window cleaner. Also crack the windows about a 1/2". The outgassing occurs when the car gets real hot inside. Try parking in the shade whenever you can.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Agent13
Instructor

Ended up being my fire extinguisher... Removed it and the greasy windows stopped.....
Old 11-29-2013, 08:13 PM
carguy604
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent13
Ended up being my fire extinguisher... Removed it and the greasy windows stopped.....
So had you partially used the fire extinguisher and left it inside the car or was it still brand-new? I have one inside my car and wonder if it's the same problem. Let us know...
Old 11-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Agent13
Instructor

The extinguisher was brand new. Never used.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:31 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just curious,...was it a "Halon" or "Chemical" Fire extinguisher?...

Get notified of new replies

To Greasy film inside windows?

Quick Reply: Greasy film inside windows?