C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:31 PM
86 pace car
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default interior lights

On my 86 auto the lights by the gear selector and the temp control dont light up is there a fuse for them also my fog lights are out I dont knowif thats a coincidence
Old 10-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The gear selector lamp power comes from the LPS fuse. If that fuse were blown then none of your instrument cluster lamps would work.

The HVAC control panel also comes from the LPS fuse. If you have the C68 HVAC system then the CTSY/CLK fuse is also involved.

The fog light power comes from the TAIL fuse. It goes through the headlight switch to the fog light switch so the fog lights only come on if the parking lights or headlights are on. If the TAIL fuse were blown you'd have a LOT of lights not working.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 AM
86 pace car
Instructor

Cool ill check fuses later thanks
Old 10-20-2013, 07:54 PM
86 pace car
Instructor

I checked the fuses all are good any other ideas there isnt a relay is there thanks
Old 10-21-2013, 02:43 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

I was trying to point out that fuses are probably not your issue. You have bad bulbs or connector or wiring problems.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:33 AM
86 pace car
Instructor

Oh thanks could it be the headlight switch my headlights work fine but it dosent dim the guage cluster is that normal
Old 10-22-2013, 02:22 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Dash backlighting is sorta complex...

In a dark ambient light situation, when you turn on the ignition the backlighting goes to a default brightness. When you put the headlight switch in the parking or headlight position the backlighting will get slightly brighter. This takes several seconds, so it's not obvious (more on that later). When the parking or headlights are on you can control the backlight brightness by turning the headlight switch ****. Fully CCW is brightest and fully CW is dimmest.

During the daytime, a photocell in the upper left part of the dash controls the backlight brightness. There is a delay built in to the brightness changes to prevent the dash backlights from changing rapidly when going from bright to darker areas (like driving into the shadow of a tree or building) and vice versa. The delay is pretty long (about 5 seconds), so it's not at all obvious that the brightness is changing.

The photocell overrides the headlight switch input so you can turn on your parking or headlights during the daytime and the backlighting will still be bright. You can't control the backlight brightness during the daytime with the headlight switch ****, even if the parking or headlights are on.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 10-22-2013 at 02:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To interior lights

Quick Reply: interior lights