C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:35 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default head gasket

Good afternoon,

I'm finally ready to put my heads back on my '87 after blowing a head gasket. I've cleaned,and drained,and chased threads.

I'm confused about whether the felpro head gasket #7733PT2 goes on completely dry or do I put sealant around the circulation openings.I know I'm going to screw up something,but don't want to start off screwing up.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

tankman
Old 10-14-2013, 12:59 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I use the multi-steel layer Felpro head gaskets. I have always sprayed on a layer of Permatex Spray Copper on each side of the gasket and have never had a head gasket problem.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:10 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Felpro recommends that the Perma Torque Blue gaskets be installed dry ... I have been known to give them a nice even coat of the Permatex Copper seal as extra insurance ... with no ill effects .........
Old 10-14-2013, 03:57 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Put some sealer on the head bolts. Some use teflon. I smear a bit of RTV on the threads myself.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:34 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

If those are the teflon coated gaskets (blue in color) they install Dry..

If you are replacing the head bolts, and the new one's come with a smidge of sealant on the threads, thats all you need for sealing the head bolts.

I use a dab of Mobile 1 under the Bolt head/washer, and I use a Q tip and wipe a coat around the spot face on the head it-self (Aluminum surface)

I like to torque in three steps in Sequence.. some guys torque in two steps.. you choose.

Good stuff!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by desertmike1

If you are replacing the head bolts, and the new one's come with a smidge of sealant on the threads, thats all you need for sealing the head bolts.

I use a dab of Mobile 1 under the Bolt head/washer, and I use a Q tip and wipe a coat around the spot face on the head it-self (Aluminum surface)

I like to torque in three steps in Sequence.. some guys torque in two steps.. you choose.

Good stuff!
Thanks everyone. I do have the Blue in color gaskets but don't know if they are ceramic. I'll put 'em on dry when I get started again.

tankman
Old 10-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Supahone
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did those head gasket work out for you on those aluminum heads?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:38 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by desertmike1

Good stuff!
Just did my '85 iron head L98 in this manner except I use dino oil. Permatex soft dry sealant (I forget if its 1 or 2) on the bolt threads. No problems at all.

Get notified of new replies

To head gasket

Quick Reply: head gasket