C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

chrome bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 07:54 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Default chrome bolts

ok...so I bought all this chrome stuff on craigs list....manifold/rails/runners.plenum/tb..all chrome...where might I find some shiney bolts to bolt all this crap together???...Im thinking stainlless wouldn't be good in aluminum...can I get chrome bolts??.
85 vette
Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Stainless works fine as long as you use antiseize on the threads... A lot of my intake, and all my exhaust bolts are stainless.Summit racing carries a good bit of stainless and I believe they may even carry some chrome bolts....WW
Here is a set I found , and they have more.....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-9265

Last edited by WW7; 09-12-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

summit also carries arp bolts in 5 packs. you might have a few left over but their polished stainless really makes chrome or polished parts really pop.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Originally Posted by WW7
Stainless works fine as long as you use antiseize on the threads... A lot of my intake, and all my exhaust bolts are stainless.Summit racing carries a good bit of stainless and I believe they may even carry some chrome bolts....WW
Here is a set I found , and they have more.....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-9265
thank you so much....Hesitate going down this "chrome" road....already did it to my Harley....cost 1 wife
Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sleazy Rider
summit also carries arp bolts in 5 packs. you might have a few left over but their polished stainless really makes chrome or polished parts really pop.
thank you...sorry to be so stupid...arp??? I also need plenum/tb bolts...thinking summit may have them...
Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

get all your bolts layed out, check thread size and pitch and length of bolt under the head, and a count of how many bolts of each size. i think the throttle body bolts are metric. once you have the size and quantity for each, go to summit website and find the correct part number for each and order quantity. arp is for 'automotive racing products' and they may be overkill for your intended use and cost more than standard bolts, but the look is killer.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:16 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sleazy Rider
get all your bolts layed out, check thread size and pitch and length of bolt under the head, and a count of how many bolts of each size. i think the throttle body bolts are metric. once you have the size and quantity for each, go to summit website and find the correct part number for each and order quantity. arp is for 'automotive racing products' and they may be overkill for your intended use and cost more than standard bolts, but the look is killer.
thanks...this forum is the best....guess i'll go for the killer look....same look my wife gives me when corvette pkg's get delivered.....
Old 09-13-2013, 07:08 AM
Cruizin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with trying ARP bolts.

Here's a nice SS TPI manifold set - very nice on a polished intake.

http://arp-bolts.com/kits/ARPkit-det...?RecordID=2246
Old 09-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by playsdixie
....same look my wife gives me when corvette pkg's get delivered.....
i wear that look well.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

You would likely be done better here I'd think than attempting the Summit/Jegs buys. You can do any that you might like in chrome and most in polished stainless. They also do "button head torx" but not in metric - these people are "serious" about "pretty fasteners" there's none better.

http://www.gardner-westcott.com/automotive_bolts.htm

One thing you do need to watch is the "mix" of "metric" and SAE fasteners for the L98. It confuses the best!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-13-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:38 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I buy a lot of fasteners here as hes close by
Not the cheapest but hes usually got it

Just know what you need before calling

http://dmpfasteners.com/
Old 09-13-2013, 03:31 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I have purchased both chrome and stainless steel bolts from my local Ace Hardware store. I recently discovered a nearby Fastenal store and now like to use them for stainless steel bolts. You have to buy in bulk but their prices are way better than the hardware store and they can order almost anything you need.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

that arp kit is way too much...get the length, pitch, etc and go to McMaster carr and order what you need. super fast delivery and no minimum quanities
Old 09-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Arp's may be pricey, but they're already polished and the head design looks better than the standard bolthead. Stainless will not flake like chrome and just needs a retouched with some cleaner a few years or so. Those stainless bolts from a bolt house needs to be sanded down and then polished and that will offset the cost of the arp's. I've gone both ways and its taken time and materials to polish those bolts.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cruizin
I agree with trying ARP bolts.

Here's a nice SS TPI manifold set - very nice on a polished intake.

http://arp-bolts.com/kits/ARPkit-det...?RecordID=2246
that looks like a very nice set....are there tb bolts/plenum bolts too in that set?....
Old 09-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Cruizin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by playsdixie
that looks like a very nice set....are there tb bolts/plenum bolts too in that set?....
I haven't brought them but the wrapper says its a complete set. The longs ones will be the throttle body bolts.

ARP bolts are not cheap but I doubt you'll buy better. Cheap hardware bolts are seldom graded and these are 12 point heads which you're even less likely to find at your local hardware shop. Plus as said above these are mirror polished - the ultimate engine bling.

Beware of non graded SS bolts as they are quite brittle and can be a right bear to remove when they break.

Last edited by Cruizin; 09-14-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Personally I don't like to use stainless fasteners in aluminum. I have had my own instances where the bolt had anti-seize on it and it seized anyway, taking the threads with it when it came out.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:54 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cruizin
I haven't brought them but the wrapper says its a complete set. The longs ones will be the throttle body bolts.

ARP bolts are not cheap but I doubt you'll buy better. Cheap hardware bolts are seldom graded and these are 12 point heads which you're even less likely to find at your local hardware shop. Plus as said above these are mirror polished - the ultimate engine bling.

Beware of non graded SS bolts as they are quite brittle and can be a right bear to remove when they break.
you"re the man ....easier to talk a flea off a dog's a** than get permission from the war dept for 150 dollar bolts but I did...

thanks for all the input....

started this project to just change injectors...got a deal on chrome stuff and it just gets bigger and bigger

Get notified of new replies

To chrome bolts

Quick Reply: chrome bolts