C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 Corvette Regular vs Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Epitome
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1990 Corvette Regular vs Synthetic Oil

I believe this car has probably just had regular oil in it its whole life (70k miles). Is there any reason not to switch over to a 5w30 Mobil 1 synthetic for here in the North East? I was all ready to drop 5 quarts in when I read a thread where someone posted that if it has always had regular oil then don't switch, but I can't think of a reason....does anyone know a good reason for me not to go synthetic?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:58 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

No reason not to go for it.
Wont hurt a thing
Old 09-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Epitome
Advanced

Thanks...this was what I thought all along. Anyone else?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:34 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

In some older cars changing from dino oil to synthetic oil has caused gaskets to leak.... Some people will say this is impossible, but I have had it happen in one of my own vehicles, so it is possible.......WW
Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

while synthetic oil most likely won't hurt anything, a late model SBC on dino oil with 3-5K changes will probably outlast you. personally, I don't want my 90 in my funeral procession - . i'd be more concerned with the filter quality.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:44 AM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I would not make a change myself. I run Mobil 1 in my 04 C5, because GM tells me too. I run 10/40 standard in my hybrid L98 just because I always have, and it's my belief that Gen 1's should run a thicker oil. Just my 2 cents!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:19 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Make the switch !

There is not a valid reason NOT to do so. Yes, there have been some leaks reported but they could have also been caused by the wind direction that day....or the cloud cover? Pure coincidence. The oils are compatible. I also hear of MANY people claiming that their trans went out when they changed the fluid. That's more likely because they do not change the fluid until the trans is not acting right...again, coincidence.

The benefits of synthetics farrrrrrr outweigh the risk. I run syn in my build L98 and can now go 5000 miles summer and maybe more in winter. Its down to 2 changes per yr. I'll run 5-30wt in a cold climate and 10-40 or 15-50 in extreme heat climates summertime.

As someone elose stated, the choice of filter is even more important. If you use synthetic and because it does not breakdown chemically as fast as conventional oils, you can buy time by just changing the filter after 3-4000 miles. Top off with a qt of fresh syn oil and you're good to go. I actually use the Walmart brand synthetic oil when I'm poor and it seems to have similar properties as the name brands...At $17 for 5 qts....its a deal.
Do some research on filters and make a decision,. That's a personal preference. My advise is to select one that has a good element double layered so it traps more dirt. You will have to change it sooner but that's the point isn't it? to collect and remove the contaminates.
Good luck and enjoy !
Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 643 Likes on 498 Posts

The synthetic oil is better.

I try to use it in everything even my lawn mowers. It lasts longer without breaking down, better flow in cold weather, same or better lubrication.

As for the synthetic leaking myth or not, If your seals and gaskets are in good shape, the synthetic should be fine. If your seals and gaskets are getting older and borderline, the synthetic will find smaller gaps than dino oil to leak from.

I have switched to synthetic on several cars with no problems, but on my '88 Corvette when I switched at 110k, it started leaking a lot. I had never noticed it leaking with dino oil, but with synthetic it leaked. It was so bad at the valve covers that it would run down and smoke on the exhaust. I replaced the valve cover gaskets and that took care of most of it, but it wasn't done leaking until the next dino oil change.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:30 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

As long as you don't have any oil leaks make the change, I have done it on many older cars with great success.

Synthetic oil helps cool the inside of the engine, my 88 used to hold engine oil heat with regular oil, but when I switched the oil temp would drop.

I use it in all my toys and equipment.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:57 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by leesvet
Make the switch !

There is not a valid reason NOT to do so. Yes, there have been some leaks reported but they could have also been caused by the wind direction that day....or the cloud cover? Pure coincidence. The oils are compatible. I also hear of MANY people claiming that their trans went out when they changed the fluid. That's more likely because they do not change the fluid until the trans is not acting right...again, coincidence. !
Actually, The oil leaks are not caused by the wind direction or cloud cover and it's not a coincidence.....If you did some reading on the subject you would know the correct answer.... .The leaks are from the swell rate caused by the different oils.. When you use dino oil you have more gasket swell , then when you change over to synthetic oil on an older car the synthetic causes less gasket swell which lets oil get past the gasket.There are articles all over the web from different oil companys explaining this phenomenon... Rubber gaskets will eliminate this problem...Now the question is will the OP have a problem with his car leaking after switching to synthetic?? Only trying synthetic will answer that question, and if it leaks he can always switch back........WW

Last edited by WW7; 09-12-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM
TheFinn
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO I would take a look under the valvecover(s) first.

If there is sludge I would continue with conventional and do several short oil change intervals before switching to synthetic.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Epitome
Advanced

Ok, well I will continue to think this through. I did however already purchase 3 Ac Delco PF454 filters....I am assuming they are good...yes?
Old 09-12-2013, 01:29 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Epitome
Ok, well I will continue to think this through. I did however already purchase 3 Ac Delco PF454 filters....I am assuming they are good...yes?
Are they good?...Well ...Read what I just sent you and you decide..
I just sent you a PM of a post from a site I can't list on here..Read it and believe what the man has to say. He's a well respected person on the subject....WW

Last edited by WW7; 09-12-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,968 Posts

One way to know is to do an oil analysis. My Powerstroke is hard on oil so when I took it to 7500 and sent it in, they said to back it down to 5000. We shall see what the 5000 used oil analysis shows
Old 09-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Epitome
Advanced

Ok....NAPA Gold it will be....I use Wix Racing on My Grand National. I have always been an AC Delco fan, so I am sorry to have to leave them. Wix makes the Napa Gold filter. Anyone want to buy the 3 AC Delco Filters I just ordered in? lol
Old 09-12-2013, 04:51 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Epitome
Ok....NAPA Gold it will be....I use Wix Racing on My Grand National. I have always been an AC Delco fan, so I am sorry to have to leave them. Wix makes the Napa Gold filter. Anyone want to buy the 3 AC Delco Filters I just ordered in? lol
Sell them to someone that buys Fram filters.. If they buy Fram filters they will buy anything......

Im talking about the store brand Fram filters, not the Pro filters...383Vett schooled me a few years ago on the difference......WW

Last edited by WW7; 09-12-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Epitome
Advanced

Well I am already a Wix fan. Stock Grand Nationals were always urged to be fitted with the PF52 Delco filter for the slight extra capacity and the anti drainback. This is different I guess. I ordered a set of 56" race ramps 2 days ago and they came today, so I will get it done tonight unless it rains.

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 Corvette Regular vs Synthetic Oil

Old 09-12-2013, 09:10 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In some older cars changing from dino oil to synthetic oil has caused gaskets to leak.... Some people will say this is impossible, but I have had it happen in one of my own vehicles, so it is possible.......WW
My 90 leaked a little bit after I first put full synthetic in her, but it has stopped after the second oil change with synthetic.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:51 PM
CalvinMD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go for a good synthetic blend...just as good but easier on your wallet
Old 09-22-2013, 10:28 PM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinMD
I'd go for a good synthetic blend...just as good but easier on your wallet
That is also a good choice....i use that in my truck and econ car....But in my Camaro and newly acquired C4, full syn. I have used Amsoil in the last 2 changes in Camaro, but the C4 got Mobil 1 full syn. 10W30. And it was leaking BEFORE i changed the oil.....previous owner couldnt tell me what he used, but leaned towards "regular oil".
this winter things are coming apart, and the leaks will be fixed.

Quick Reply: 1990 Corvette Regular vs Synthetic Oil